Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 15936 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
A little hint for you Tronsky: You don’t need to return to base immediately after finishing your patrol. Cruise around Britton and use up your torps before returning. ;)

Also, stop your engine once in a while and do a manual hydrophone search. Unless your crew are experts (not likely early in the war) you will pick up contacts manually long before they do. Once you’ve found a bearing, just cruise down that bearing while intermittently stopping to correct your bearing. You will eventually find a target. Also note that your crew does not use the hydrophone while surfaced. You have to dive to (at least) periscope depth for them to start listening for contacts.

GScholz is right.

I alsways cruise at ahead one third, Gives me plenty of range. I usually head for my objective, complete it, then head for England.

If I got my objectives, and headed home immediatley, I'd probably have only sunken about one ship so far.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2005, 11:37:02 AM »
Quit talking about this game or I'll have to buy it.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2005, 11:45:33 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Quit talking about this game or I'll have to buy it.

You still haven't!?! QUICK, GET OUT AND DONT COME BACK WITHOUT!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2005, 11:50:18 AM »
I have an AMD 2100+, 512mb RAM and a nVidia Gf 4 Ti 4200 Vid card.  Will this system handle this game?
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2005, 11:53:27 AM »
My current system:

AMD XP200 1.66 CPU
512 RAM
MB Gigabyte GA-7 Nvida nForce 2 AGP
Radon 9200 vidio

Game runs ok, is a bit slow but I am going to upgrade soon.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2005, 12:24:23 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
I have an AMD 2100+, 512mb RAM and a nVidia Gf 4 Ti 4200 Vid card.  Will this system handle this game?

I do have a TI4200 and it seems to be the slowest part.
It is still playable, but I really wouldn't mind a better performance...
No idea about the CPU or RAM, I got more of both.

GFX cards can be so expensive :I
Used this month 200 bucks to buy more ram, the game and a dvd drive to run the game.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2005, 12:25:46 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Diablo, I installed it today and there is an automatic checker which tells you if your system is up to it, piece by piece.

Looking at the specs, your vidcard should be OK. However, your CPU is below spec. I have the AMD XP2600 which runs at 1.9GHz without being overclocked. The recommended CPU speed is 2.0GHz, so you're way under spec there. Also, 512MB RAM is the bare minimum. 1GB is recommended. I have 768MB (512+256) and I will get another 256 to add in my third RAM slot. You should get more RAM too.

The game seems to run smoothly enough with what I've got, but a few stutters...

Wow guys, that FLAK gun is quite a bit harder than the AH FG.

Doing my torpedo training next!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2005, 01:33:38 PM »
"When the seas are calm, cannons thunder. "

And before armed merchants. :-)

Like the way merchants are relatively poor shots and have slow reload times compared to Warships. Just so many details to enjoy about this siim, simply fantastic.

Sure makes it harder then ever to look at the ocean and ship graphics of AH without  laughing.

...-Gixer

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
Dammit!

My 3rd patrol has been pretty dark so far... patrol zone I was asssigned too was empty, and I had encountered nothing. I decide to get a closer look at one of the easetern brit harbours... about 100 Nm east of it... it started. (Kids, don't do this at home!)
First a couple fighters have a go at me (and miss... those two were tossing their eggs, they must not have followed AH school of pork & auger), soon followed by a destroyer. As soon as saw that one, I dove to PD... and evaded slowly south east. After 5 minutes, i count no less than 3 "warship" contacts on sonar (being a coward, I didn't go to PD and sneaked away...I wonder what those "Be more aggresive!" messages from BDU means...

It seems I have been spotted by radar... because when I am out of visual range of any contacts, as soon as I go to the surface, I get those planes (If you use time compression, by the time the airplanes are spotted, and it comes back to normal rate time, that gunner seems to take his time to aim... even if he was set at "shoot at anything you see... even seaguls if you have to" mode.

Of course, after the plane, comes in a couple of armed trawlers...I lost 4 torps trying to shoot them... all missed :mad: (How am I going to explain that to BDU?)

OT: I haven't found the options for me to set the resolution?
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
Does it ever get boring just cruising the sea looking fro the occasional AI boat, sink and repeat? Seems like a low replay value game.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2005, 03:15:32 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
OT: I haven't found the options for me to set the resolution?

Thats because there is no option, It might be modded in, but I wouldnt hold my breath.

Also if your Computer isnt up to it, you can turn down the particle Settings. I use 30. It still looks great, And No Lag.

The only time I get choppy play is in port, when everybody is waving and sending you off. Very Immersive though, I wonder if they'll be there late in the war.

Also check out the Lighthouses when you leave Port, You'll see a man fishing :D
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2005, 03:34:06 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Hint: Convoys.

same questions applies. After the 3rd or 4th convoy what else is there in the game?

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2005, 03:35:32 PM »
I just moved and won't have DSL at my new house 'till next week. You guys are safe in the AH skies 'till then :)

So I bought SHIII. Wow! I'm into '41 in the campaign. About 1/2 up the u'boat aces list. Had a run of very low action sorties recently. Maybe I need to transfer?

Looking for hints on torpedos. Should I set them to impact or magnetic trigger? Seems like either way any shot more than about 10 degrees off a direct side shot will just bounce. And stern and bow shots never seem to detonate either. I tried setting the torpedo depth a bit deeper with magnetic trigger and that works occasionally. Really frustrating to watch your torpedos bounce off the nme hull :(

Also be carefull with save games. I've had several that don't reload correctly. The mission objective changes and the waypoints get all wonky.

g00b

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »
That's what the game's about: finding stuff and blowing it up.  That's it ... that's the game... a wwii sub sim - find stuff & blow it up.

From what I understand though, the shipping is random; it won't be the case of " ahhh 16th July 1941 means convoy X will be entering the AF81 sector at 17:25 from the ENE.  

Much like AH - get a plane up and blow stuff/people up - the replay value is that no sortie is ever the same.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2005, 04:30:23 PM »
In the early war..  (1939-41) I would set most torpedos at impact...

the fuses are too iffy.. and i personally have had more success at impact

But...   If set properly with depth the mag fuses are superior for damage potential.. (set mag fuses with greater depth than that of your recon manual)

EXP:  it took 3 torps to down  a c2 cargo with impact fuses.. (most likely hitting close or high on the water line..)

with 1 magnetic fuse  it only took a  1 torp..  reason (i set my magno fuses to detonate below the vessel )  when a torp detonates below the vessel the dammage is usually catastrophic....  granted not a instant sinking but they go under with time... (10 minutes + sometimes less..)

I cannot comment on the latewar magnetic fuses...

remember to factor in sea state if your have 3m breakers out there then go impact for shure and maybe even set your default torp depth to a meter or two higher just to get a impact in the rough seas.

Currently I have 4 merchantment sunk in a Type II, bought a type vII (everyone should pilot a type II  you really get a appreciation of the type vII series as well as you get indoctrinated in a type II which will really help your overall tactics....

BTW i play 100% realism  And I have finished 1 mission in a type VII  and had 4 downed merchantmen..  total tonnage after 3 missions is in the 28+ range...  im about 4th on the leaderboard...

the keys to this game are just like real life submariner..  patience is key...  set up your shots...  I almost terminated a french trawler (not at war yet) the another night to getting too aggressive..

On all my torp hits  its always the same...  point your vessel to the target at 90 deg and get the most recent solution for your torps (dont use a old solution..) (worst case scenario just ask your weapons officer to plot your one..  he gets it right alot even on full realism)

again always point your sub at target..  your introducing more varibles by being off canter to your target and using the gyro's of the torp to correct..

Also i might add is that to use the fast speed setting on the old steam powered torps..  yes your max range downgrades to 5000m but you get a 45 kt torp...  less time to target more likely a hit .......

Longest hit to date is 2600m... vs a 5 kter...training i got a 3500m but that doesn't count...

remember to use 300m or more for your torps to arm..

tricks of the trade...:

visit subsim.com  lots of info..

up periscope down periscope...  dont know if your fellas know but  ctrl+insert (ob scope) will raise scope all the way and the same taking her down by adding the control key...(exp:  ctrl+delete)

also you may pace your sub by using the ctrl+f2 key...  (normal is f2 key alone)  this give you the ability to traverse your sub..  be careful not to go outside it..  (blackness and easy to get lost..)( in short stay in the conning  tower main control room and the sonar/radio rooms..)

I hear the crew management screen is a chore...  well just double click whatever compartment to swap out the men..  your officers you have to manually do.. but even a tired officer is still worth it to have at whatever station trust me..  mine get tired all the time if im engaged they are at battle stations..

I suggest full realism it the way to go..  worst case scenario you have your officers do the math for you..  but overall every sinking is worth while this way and you get a appreciation to your efforts becuase you dont always bag them..  (just tracking them is a chore..)(ive missed 3 destroyer shots recently and am determined to get it right..)  for fun navigate the channel..  I just did it last night trying to reach the North Atlantic..  Did it in a type vII at 15m depth (nighttime of course) and was harrassed by multiple destroyers patrol boats.....  all in all the most target rich enviroment in the game that ive seen..  do the channel youll see....  btw i made thru unscathed , lucky maybe i not going to make it habit try it for yourself for a challenge..

DoctorYo