Author Topic: Help with the F4F-4  (Read 1002 times)

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 02:17:35 PM »

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 02:28:52 PM »
I fly the FM2 a lot.  Well actually mostly.  I am no where near being a good pilot but I feel I am getting better.

You have to have a plan. Know who is around you. If you blow the merge in a FM2 mostly you are now; way in the hole. Sometimes you can dig yourself out sometimes not.

The strengths of the FM2 are it can dive and not easily compress and you can turn like the dickens... but only for so long and you do not have the power to regain lost alt from a flat turn or anything like it. you have to use the vertical and turns in combination.

An anolgy that is helping me get a feel for this... E is like a bank account..  flat turns just empty it ( a turn basically in a circle) up and down turns empty and replace the account. never ever refilling it all the way but. you do not run out of cash so fast this way. If you manage your account right you should still have some money in the account (Energy) at the end of the fight you can use this to disengage and refill your account by regaining alt.

Like any analogy this has holes but it is helping me.

Running in an FM2- F4-f is a must early.... early  other planes can just run you down. learning when to fold em is one of the most imprtant skills to develop in this plane.

Offline Crispy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.thegreenmountainboys.com
Re: Re: Corsair
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 06:57:32 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Excluding the perked F4U-4, which is quite a bit faster everywhere.

For that matter, I would consider the F4U-4 the most maneuverable Corsair. Its far greater power; meaning acceleration, speed and climb, give it a much greater overall maneuverability than the F4U-1, which is far more limited in vertical maneuvering and cannot sustain a prolonged fight with the F4U-4 on anything close to even terms.

My regards,

Widewing

I agree with you up to the point of a plain down & dirty turn as hard as you can dog fight under 10k, the f4u-1 will beat the f4u-4.  The -1 will turn inside the -4 quite easily & this can be used to adv regaurding energy management. Providing you are both same speed & alt & simular fuel load out.  The -4's fuel consumpition is also a serious consideration. Under 10k & 50% gas or less the -1 is a bad little skooter. & it earns perkies like crazy :-)

imho chrispy

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2005, 07:59:19 PM »
Axiom #1: There is no substitute for stick time. The more you get the better you get.

Axiom #2: There is no substitute for quality stick time. If you don't know why the plane isn't doing what you think it should be doing just get with a trainer (in the Training Arena) and let him bring you along.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 10:23:23 AM »
There is only 1 problem I don't know any ACM's besides the Immenel or whatever turn and im not subscribed:( . For I don't know where to get the coupon and it costs way to much for me and my parents.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Corsair
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 11:49:28 AM »
Originally posted by Crispy
I agree with you up to the point of a plain down & dirty turn as hard as you can dog fight under 10k, the f4u-1 will beat the f4u-4.  The -1 will turn inside the -4 quite easily & this can be used to adv regaurding energy management. Providing you are both same speed & alt & simular fuel load out.  The -4's fuel consumpition is also a serious consideration. Under 10k & 50% gas or less the -1 is a bad little skooter. & it earns perkies like crazy :-)

imho chrispy

I suppose that I have flown 200+ 1v1 duels flying the F4U-1 over the past year. I like the F4U-1, but the F4U-4 owns it. Why? Because the F4U-4 simply takes the fight into the vertical and the F4U-1 cannot compete.

It's not about turning, it's about E management, and very few planes have the excess power of the F4U-4. A decent F4U-4 driver will simply take his plane where the F4U-1 cannot go, establish an advantage and break down the F4U-1. Getting into a flat turning duel is silly, why surrender one's advantage?

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Crispy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.thegreenmountainboys.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Corsair
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I suppose that I have flown 200+ 1v1 duels flying the F4U-1 over the past year. I like the F4U-1, but the F4U-4 owns it. Why? Because the F4U-4 simply takes the fight into the vertical and the F4U-1 cannot compete.

It's not about turning, it's about E management, and very few planes have the excess power of the F4U-4. A decent F4U-4 driver will simply take his plane where the F4U-1 cannot go, establish an advantage and break down the F4U-1. Getting into a flat turning duel is silly, why surrender one's advantage?

My regards,

Widewing

I agree with you 100% but they ussually don't take it in the vertical at least not right away they will turn hard once or twice and thats all the -1 needs.  If the guy in the -4 is B&Zing and keeps his energy adv he will own the -1 but if he turns hard a couple of times he will loose E considerable faster than the -1.  I am just saying if you are going to get down & dirty down low you are better off in the -1. Giving consideration to cost, fuel consumption, and the ability to turn.  They will turn with the -1 hard once or twice, relize they can't stay with it and then pull vertical...then there flabergasted how the -1 stayed with them.

On another note Widewing, Do you think the acceleration is right on the hog?  I guess if I had any complaints on the hog it is it acceleration, it seems like just every plane in the game can out accelerate it initially.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 11:11:25 PM »
The FM-2 has 150 more horsepower than the F4F-4 and is also 500 pounds lighter.  It's performance closely approximates the earlier F4F-3.  It's turning ability comes close to, but does not equal, that of the Zero.

If you can sucker a late war plane into a dogfight you can eat them alive.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Help with the F4F-4
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »
Again I won't really be able to use your guyzez info. to the best in the MA for I don't know where to get the coupons and my parents can't afford it.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech