Author Topic: Early war planes?  (Read 4752 times)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
I whole heartily agree that we need a plane set that better supports traditional/historical scenario events.  The MA has simply just become boring as hell.  Always the same thing...engage, get the upper hand, have ur enme run fer his ack thats always within safe running distance.  Organized missions are generally unopposed if done properly and are also boring as hell.  IMO we desperately need more organized events where attendance is mandatory (ie main is closed) and a plane set to support them.
     BTW Yeager, ur comments about inputs from ignorant new comers is really outa line where Fidd is concerned.  Fidd developed the SAC historical plane skin and terrain utility for AW.  He has forgotten more about the Air War during WWII than you'll ever know.

CRASH

lazs

Early war planes?
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
I don't think we are going to see an early war plane set for quite some time.  I like, no, love em but... the idiotic perk system is a huge step away from early war.   With super planes in the arena as well as the mid war planes there will be even less chance that marginal, much less early, planes will be used.  It's a real ded end, turning into secret weaopns of the LW or WWII 1946.

In order to have early war planes we need a buttload of em all at once to fly against each other.... We would then need to protect em from the idiotic perkies and even the mid war or they would sit and rot... They would have to have their own "time period" or RPS or seperate arena or... any number of awkward and proven unpopular ideas but.....

There is a way that all planes could be in the arena at all times... Anyone could choose any plane he wanted from early to late '45 and beyond and fly with parity.  It would allso obliviate the  (cough) "need" for the idiotic, unfun and unfair perk system.  Planes could be integrated seamlessly into the set.  Best of all, it's never been tried before so they wouldn't be stealing the idea from anyone.   The idea is the "area" arena.

Or maybe HTC feels that they will never be more than a nich company and that the biggest nich is in late and fantasy war planes.
lazs

AKSeaWulfe

Early war planes?
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
lazs, the area arena concept won't work.

Has it been proven? No. But it still won't work.

People have a flock mentality. Wherever the most people are, they flock to. Then that leaves people sitting in other areas on the arena to play with themselves because everyone else is in the area with the most people.

Which in turn leaves a good deal of plane's unused and unusuable because they are not available in the specific area where everyone is at.

If that doesn't happen, then the arena will be sparsely populated. You divide 120 people up into 4 areas (early,mid,late and super late) and you'll only have 30 ppl per area if it divides equally. Then you run into the problem of not the ever present "I can't find anyone this sucks". People begin to leave because they can't find a good fight, AH is flushed down the toilet and we're left with only WB2.xx.

Or we can even try this idea....
Wait until the f*cking planes are implemented then squeak and moan when we KNOW what it's like rather than second guessing every f*cking thing.
-SW

Offline Effdub

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.netsurf.de/robert.sander/
Early war planes?
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Yesterday Hightech asked ppl in the main arena if they wanted clouds to be shown in the Map or not. 50% said yes, 50% said no....

Same with this Early war plane issue. 50% want it, 50% don't. 50% like scenarios, 50% don't...

What I hate are ppl who sell their oppinions as if most ppl want what THEY want.

Ppl keep saying that everything WB offers (BoB Scenarios, HA's, RPS) etc is matter of factly crap, well I personally liked those features far better than the MA "no brainer" action...

ah whatever, these endless discussions are starting to get even more boring than the daily MA routine  

lazs

Early war planes?
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2001, 12:16:00 PM »
eff... i actually agree with u.   There are a bunch who want early war and a bunch who don't.   I kinda think there are the biggest group that likes mid war with all it's parity and variety followed by late war lovers and probly last... early war guys.

I think AK is wrong about the area arena.   It could be adjusted with the largest amount of fields and (cough) "strat", things to do in the mid war area with a much smaller late war area and a smaller yet early war area.  

Further, early war fields could be in the canyon area of the map where twisty turny style fights would be a real gas.   People could click around to what type of action they wanted.

What I don't understand is ak's thoughts... what does it matter if there are no other players (which is not very possible anyway) where you are?   Just that much easier to rack up them points right?
lazs

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Early war planes?
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2001, 05:09:00 PM »
CLOUDS ON THE MAP???!!! So now there might be airborne weather radar as well?  

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
I would love to see some early war airplanes.  I really enjoyed the Warbirds rolling plane set with the early war Hurri, Spit I, Me109E, Zero and Wildcat F4F.  Very fun. I think a BoB scenario would be great and be a big draw.  For us "Yanks", probably the Coral Sea and Midway battles would represent the most balanced Pacific Theatre scenarios.  Maybe Guadalcanal perhaps.  I'd also like to see an Africa Korps scenario with some theatre appropriate markings.  You could pull in the Italian plane set that way.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2001, 05:31:00 PM »
I've wanted to see early/mid war planes more since the begining...
never really liked those mid to late war planes, but more of those early to mid.

Battle of Britain would be a blast  
no stratofortresses, just those Ju88's, He111s......
and definately no chogs  

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Agree with you on the Hurricane, Fidd. Isn't it ironic that we see the Aces High Scenarios banner at the top of our screen flash a picture of a Hurri at us every ten seconds?

But I have to emphasize that I think HTC has given us a fantastic product that will keep getting better.

<S> HTC!
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

AKSeaWulfe

Early war planes?
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2001, 05:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by lazs:

What I don't understand is ak's thoughts... what does it matter if there are no other players (which is not very possible anyway) where you are?   Just that much easier to rack up them points right?
lazs

You know lazs, I get the feeling every word someone says just flies right over your head if they don't agree with your idealogy or what you want.

Have you even bothered to look at my stats? I don't think so, you would rather spew from your anus rather than put any effort into doing a little research. So here, I'll help you out.

So lets do a little comparison between me (a supposed score potato or strat squeak) and you (an avid furballing weenie) and lets see what Tour 13's data comes up with. Then you'll get the idea of where I'm coming from..

Tour 13:             Me            You
Hours online:     17:56:45       19:18:28
Overall sorties:     77           97
Fighter Sorties:     65           97
Attack Sorties:      12           0
Bomber Sorties:      0            0
Vehicle/Boat Sorties:0            0
Total # of kills:    124         123
Kills in Fighters:   110         123
Attack Kills:        14          0
Overall Deaths:      28          49
Assists:             18          49
Kill/Death Fighters: 2.6829      2.2991
Kills/Sortie Fighters:1.6923     1.2680
Kills/Time Online:   0.0020      0.0018
Hit ercentage:      0.1055       0.0419
----------------------------
Oh well would you look at that. I'm not your typical strat squeak that you like to label anyone that doesn't want your furball island or to divide up the arena. Oh but wait.. I must not fly real fighters either right? Because I'm obviously doing much better than you I must be in a runstang or not be able to hold my own and that's why I don't want a furball island.. right? Or I just like to target individuals in a furball, kill 'em for my perk points and run like all hell.. right?

Nope, sorry lazs you can't label me a strat squeak or a perk point potato or whatever other childish/immature names you want to throw out there to label people that don't like your ideas.

Do some more research before you decide to throw your labels around.. you'd be really f'in surprised that a person like me would avidly hate your idea of a furball island or a divided arena. I mean, I obviously take up a fighter and have my fun according to those stats. So I would want to have a furball island right? Well that's the way your logic works.. you say "WE" when you are referring to people that like furballing as the biggest proponents of a furball island. It doesn't work that way, I go hunting for furballs all of the time and find them. I do my damage and I get out of the area. Using planes like P47s, La5s, 109G2s or 109F4s to sweep the skies and I enjoy it. I don't want the arena to be changed because you are obviously too inept to find yourself a fight.

I'm a furballer, I like dogfighting and there's nothing that would ever make me not like it.

But I do not want one of those stupid indestructable island bases in the main arena, they are just lame.
-SW

[This message has been edited by AKSeaWulfe (edited 02-24-2001).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Early war planes?
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2001, 06:12:00 PM »
Ouch!

That's gotta leave a mark.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2001, 06:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by lazs:
With super planes in the arena as well as the mid war planes there will be even less chance that marginal, much less early, planes will be used.  lazs

The perk system will cause MORE mid and early war aircraft to be used..not less (this is assuming that HTC gets rid of the factory-strafing loophole as the best way to get fighter perk points , which I suspect they'll do in the new 1.06 terrain.)

You've shown yourself to be remarkably clueless about what HTC has said about the actual implementation of the perk system, or how it will work, lazs.

Now, put on your thinking cap; do YOU understand how the perk system leads to MORE early/mid war aircraft, not less? It's not that hard to figure out.

Or do I have to tell you?

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
Early war planes?
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »

[This message has been edited by Torgo (edited 02-24-2001).]

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Early war planes?
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2001, 03:41:00 AM »
I find the stuff Metallica did AFTER Hetfield's voice changed to be much easier to listen too from a metalhead POV.

That being the case, live, more recent copies of the old stuff is more my line, although I have the orignal albums back to (well not an orginal LP thou) Kill 'Em All.

I really like Papa Roach and Godsmack which seems really weird next to the six Collective Soul CD's. And then there's Primus...

lazs

Early war planes?
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
oops... got my ak's mixed up..  Thought you were the strat guy deja?  But thanks for doing all that research on my score...first time I've ever seen it.   sure looks like we are equally skilless eh?  both have a 2/1 K/D ratio and about the same amount of kills per sortie.  You have a much better gunnery and I have a better kill per time... all close enough.... Don't they track bails and ditches too?  I generally ditch or auger if no one has hit me or I can't find a fight how bout you?   I don't know what you are trying to do when you fly so looking at your score is meaningless to me.   I mean, If you simply augered as I do when you are sectors away from home with no cons... If I knew what you were trying to accomplish then I would be able to read something into your score but just looking at the numbers..... It appears that you either care as little about score as I do or that you are doing rather poorly.... Are "bails" counted as deaths in your K/D?  I have never bailed.... Is rearming and refueling counted in your kill per sortie?   I have never done that.   I only stop fighting if I run out of ammo and with all the high deflection shots I take that's still quite a lot even tho I only flew the 1D  for that tour.... Oh, what plane (or planes) did you fly for that tour?   Thanks for putting out the score tho... I didn't realize that there were people out there who had as little talent as I do...

Sorry to hear you don't want a place to furball tho.  You claim that you can allways find one.   All I can think is that you are easier to please or have a higher tolerance for boredom.

Torgo.... yeah, you gotta explain.   As it is, unless they perk every single plane, the only planes that will get used are the perks and the very best of the non perks.... even the best of the non perks will be outclassed but they will be your best chance.  Who would fly a P40 in such and arena if it were introduced?   A P40 would be a reverse perk plane.  
lazs