Author Topic: Hunter S  (Read 1243 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »
If I was as wrong and as downbeat about everything as he was...

I would shoot myself.

lazs

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Hunter S
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2005, 11:07:33 AM »
There was an American I could agree with hunter

;) :lol

( question is will you take me seriously or can the humour gene be found?)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Hunter S
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2005, 11:38:56 AM »
Originally posted by JB88

BB has lucille.

my laptop's name is betty.

:lol

I'd be interesting to see some of your "art".

I mean, your short story in water and the beach writing was so out of this world and brilliant that I wonder if you could reach that level consistanty.

Let's see some of the stuff you've been wasting your life on.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:05 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
If I was as wrong and as downbeat about everything as he was...

I would shoot myself.

lazs

Hehe :)

Thing is, while the right/wrong aspect is a matter of opinion I don't choose to debate, I must its not true that he was downbeat about everything. Much of his writing was a celebration of his enjoyment of life and liberty...and guns...motorcycles...sex drugs rock N roll, etc etc.

Don't allow his political views as expressed late in his life to make up your mind on this.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
Culero.  You seem to be one even-minded, reasonable BB personality.    I don't mean that as a slam against the other posters here, I'm just saying I've noticed in your posts a realism, intelligence and point of view I can often relate to.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:43:26 PM by oboe »

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2005, 09:48:13 PM »
It's hard for me to dislike a guy who uses a lot of hallucinagens, fully automatic weapons,  and makes his own fireworks and expolsives. That makes him all american in my book.

I don't want to settle down anywhere where I can't blow up my shooting cars in my backyard when they become so riddled with holes that they're no fun to shoot anymore.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 12:32:51 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Culero.  You seem to be one even-minded, reasonable BB personality.    I don't mean that as a slam against the other posters here, I'm just saying I've noticed in your posts a realism, intelligence and point of view I can often relate to.

LOL, you've obviously never seen me get really worked up to a full head of vitrolic steam :)

culero (deserves his callsign, and also is known elsewhere as Mr. WOT)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2005, 12:35:14 AM »
Originally posted by Suave
It's hard for me to dislike a guy who uses a lot of hallucinagens, fully automatic weapons,  and makes his own fireworks and expolsives. That makes him all american in my book.
snip

Yeah, word bro :)

culero (can relate, especially to the hallucinogens)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2005, 08:38:07 AM »
well... as a former addict I can relate to how hunter "celebrated" life and maybe I am seeing it through different eyes than you culero.   I see the darker side of what was doing even then.   I watched a lot of drug addicts and he was no different than the more suicidal ones.   I knew a few of the guys in the book on Hells Angles and I know that hunter knew that he was flirting with suicide.   All of his "celebration" was beyond redkless..  It all seems very familiar to me.  

Then again... maybe he was different than all the rest and only became what I thought he was latter in life.  this seems unlikely to me tho since drugs retard any form of emotional growth so my guess is that he was simply a more worn out version of his younger self as he aged.

lazs

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2005, 09:13:35 AM »
Yeah, he was self medicating, he'd been commiting suicide for a long time, he just punctuated it with a gun.

As far as peyote and that kind of stuff, it's not really the stuff people use to fill an emptyness. It was fun in an adventerous way, back when I was a budding adult all of the dudes I knew even my civilian friends would partake in hallucinagens from time to time. But I guess it wasn't too fun because I don't know anybody that does it anymore. It kinda went along with the other adventurous stuff we did, like rapelling off of big bellybutton bridges, jumping out of planes, running around the block nude, stealing vehicles out of other units motor pools at night, clearing out nightclubs by burning CS powder in an ashtray. And a lot of stuff I'm not going to mention here. It was nice to be immortal. Good times.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 01:49:53 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
:lol

I'd be interesting to see some of your "art".

I mean, your short story in water and the beach writing was so out of this world and brilliant that I wonder if you could reach that level consistanty.

Let's see some of the stuff you've been wasting your life on.

i have posted a new thread with examples for you nuke.

:)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 01:55:24 PM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 10:05:57 PM »
well... as a former addict I can relate to how hunter "celebrated" life and maybe I am seeing it through different eyes than you culero.   I see the darker side of what was doing even then.   I watched a lot of drug addicts and he was no different than the more suicidal ones.   I knew a few of the guys in the book on Hells Angles and I know that hunter knew that he was flirting with suicide.   All of his "celebration" was beyond redkless..  It all seems very familiar to me.  

Then again... maybe he was different than all the rest and only became what I thought he was latter in life.  this seems unlikely to me tho since drugs retard any form of emotional growth so my guess is that he was simply a more worn out version of his younger self as he aged.

lazs

Yanno, man, IMO this falls into the category of YMMV.

I've got a long and sordid history of intoxicant abuse, too. When I was a youngster, there wasn't any bottle of liquor I couldn't conquer, and no drug I feared overdosing on. When you hear people say things like "party animal" and "sex drugs rockNroll" etc they're talking stuff I was the prototype for (and like the HA, I rode on two wheels no matter how stoned I was).

Thing is, I was never an addict. I don't have that type of personality. When I got tired of doing that stuff, I just simply stopped (even cigarettes), no sweat.

Don't get me wrong, I am not espousing "the benefits" of that kind of lifestyle. I'm just saying, it is what it is (or was). I'm experienced enough to relate to both your POV and HST's, because I've seen that depending on who we're talking about, either may be valid.

I've had enough friends in my life who suffered from alcoholism and/or addiction to realize the dangers, but I've also known many people like myself who were abusers because they enjoyed it, not because they had irresistable urges.  

"Celebration" is a word people often misunderstand. Dogs celebrate finding carrion by rolling in it, for instance, and that damn sure doesn't please me...but they like it :)

culero

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Hunter S
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 08:21:52 AM »
well cuelo... I guess that the thing is that some people who have never seen the drug culture or observed the denizens for a long time probly need to get the insight that ol hunter showed.   He was articulate and amusing for the most part..  

I just find that he glorified what he was commiting suicide with and then in the end.... instead of copping to it.... he checked out so that he wouldn't have to admit what he had done.  

I guess maybe his suicide was an admission of some sort tho after all.  Just seems that some don't get it.

and... I have, of course,  seen people who dabbled in the drug culture for years and did vast amounts who never really got hooked at the time... the onlyu proof was that some event made them stop.   their abilty to stop fairly easily was the proof.. hunter never stopped.   He was dependant till the day he died and totaly whiny and without remorse...he put no blame on himself that I could see.  

You don't have to answer but... if the experiance was so good for you.... why don't you still do it?  

lazs
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 08:28:01 AM by lazs2 »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Hunter S
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 08:44:47 AM »
Hunter had been living on borrowed time for quite a while.
If Sonny hadn`t recognized the guy for what he was he would have been fish bait a long time ago.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hunter S
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2005, 09:21:20 PM »
snip
You don't have to answer but... if the experiance was so good for you.... why don't you still do it?  

lazs

I fear you misunderstand me. I haven't said it "was so good" or anything of the sort. In retrospect, I would say I'd have been much better off without having wasted the time.

My point was that just as there's degrees to anything, one can't generalize about drug use/abuse and be accurate. Different people are affected in different ways. To some, drug use presents a virtually impossible to deal with addiction problem. Others may be able to use drugs to whatever degree they wish and walk away whenever they wish.

In my case, please note that what I said was that I abused drugs. I'm literally lucky to be alive (for instance, I spent most weekends one summer while stationed in Denver by riding my BSA all over the Rockies so stoned on acid I was hallucinating madly....on more than one occasion I've come awake from a drunken/stoned stupor, in my car, with absolutely no idea where I was or how the hell I got there....I once flipped upside down a motorboat going at full speed in the dark while behind a load of Jack Daniels good weed speed and Valium - not only survived, but saved the life of a passenger who had no idea how to swim....etc etc etc)

I can also say my experience with drugs cost me severely. Certainly there were times in my working career that I underachieved due to hangover and exhaustion from excessive partying. Most especially, I was offered a US military academy appointment by my congressman while I was a senior in high school (he said take my pick, West Point, Annapolis, or Colorado Springs) and actually turned him down in favor of the ROTC scholarship my ROTC instructor offered me (ROTC pays the full ride at whatever university nationwide that will accept you and has an ROTC program).

Then, while at Fort Hood with my ROTC class for tank orientation I got busted by the MPs at night wandering into a restricted area when a buddy and I snuck out of barracks after lights out to smoke a J. Poof. There went that opportunity (I was fast-tracked for a career as a military aviator, they had already sent me to Laredo AFB for two days' worth of flight medical exams which I'd passed with flying colors).

As you can see, I don't have any reason to advocate drug abuse. And, I don't.

But, as with many things, in my opinion and experience drugs can be very enjoyable if used with some degree of good sense and moderation. For instance, while its been many years since I've been drunk (legally or otherwise) I still really enjoy a nice tipple....and, while its been many years since I've used an hallucinogen, I do have some fond memories of some "trips" I've taken (especially the ones I shared with nymphomaniac females :D) And, I still occasionally enjoy a good toke with friends in the right circumstances (prolly half a dozen times in the last year, for example).

Like many subjects, this simply isn't black and white, to me. There's lotsa shades of gray....

and, of course, YMMV ;)

culero