Author Topic: Ok got my router up an running  (Read 195 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Ok got my router up an running
« on: March 28, 2005, 12:04:38 PM »
I got a D Link 524.

My question is how can I tell if the firewall is set up right.  I connected to AH with no issues.  Should it connect to AH without any prompt?

In the setup they give you a list of games and procedures to connect to them. Americas Army was one of them, so I set it up and no problems there.

When I asked my local computer guy that sold it to me he told me that the firewall was configured to at the factory to work right.

Some listed a site once where you could go check how vulnerable to attack, anyone got that ?

Thanks in advance.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:00:52 PM »
ygsmilo,
you should have a IP address ( read URL ) you can type in  that will bring up your router in Internet Explorer and you can set up your connection via this access.

my D-Link router is set to never close any sessions I got programmed,  if you find that AH shuts down in say a week or a month, you may need to go set this particular connection( session) to stay open permanently.

Skuzzy  &/or Lew ( Silat ) is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff may want to check with them in regards to your  vulnerability.

sounds like you got it all fixed up though

if you use WinXP, "MY OPINION" is turn it off permanent and run a backup software type firewall like zonealarm. I noticed a big difference in using zonealarm over the built in WinXP firewall ( closed alot of hidden holes )

but to each his own ya know, :)

good luck!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 01:08:16 PM »
Hey ygs -

I saw your other thread about this. I guess you realise by now that you dump your ADSL modem; your router replaces it!

If you got it because you want to connect two comps using the same IP address, bravo - you made a good choice! I struggled for a long time (or rather my GF struggled) connecting via a network card in the host PC, and was limited to the network card speed.

I have Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005™ - which is a virus checker and firewall. I left that in place even after installing my own router not long ago. I believe the firewall setup is automatic. Certainly, I don't get those Trend Micro popups any more, telling me that someone is trying to hack my PC. I got the SpeedTouch 510v4, by the way.

It sounds as if you're all set. :aok

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 03:11:10 PM »
Thnks for the replys, looks like everything is working ok.