Author Topic: Just a thought  (Read 628 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Just a thought
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
methane is as good a choice as any, better, really, since if were pulling from waste, it wont run out.

I wonder if the could fit a tube to the drivers seat ;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Just a thought
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2005, 06:25:33 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
"...and would buy years of transition to a hydrogen economy without being addicted to outside sources of oil, and all the political and economic problems associated with that. "

The US is "addicted" to outside sources of financing and manufacturing, among other things. Why would energy be any different?

Sounds like there are two issues here when talking about not wanting to be addicted to outside oil. First is the rising cost (which is probably the main impetus for this discussion and will only get more play when the summer hits), and having to suckle at the tit of a bunch of terrorist fundamentalist nutjobs. Call that resentment for not being able to bite the hand that feeds you.

Whatever it is... It's not going to change any time soon.

Two things are driving up the cost. The market and the Chinese. I don't know what it's like in other places, but here people are falling all over themselves trying to figure out better ways to get more and more oil to China 'cuz damn.... It's like they all of a sudden just woke up and are REALLY hungry.

I'm not a tech type guy, but my instinct tells me that when it comes to energy, it's a different thing than, say, pharmaceuticals. Those folks don't even know what's going to be possible. With energy, I think we've already mapped the entire genome, as it were, and are going to have to play the hand that was dealt us. At least for a good long while.

The only change we're probably ever going to see in our lifetime is going to be from within. Which means ponying up at the pump, or changing our lifestyles and expectations and getting by using less (in addiction parlance this is known as "chipping").

Hey... whaddyagonnado?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Just a thought
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »
fractions are the work of the devil , give me decimals.

quick , whats bigger 5/8's or 11/16's?....5mm or 6mm?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Just a thought
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2005, 06:32:16 PM »
That's what we are up against Rolex, ASTAC is to used to paying $2-5/16 per gallon of gasoline to change to a decimal system.

You mentioned "The long term energy goal of the US" when we really don't have one.  The energy system of the USA is largely free market.  The only reason ANWR is an issue is because it is federal land.

The Palm Springs wind farm exists not because it was a good investment on the open market, but due to tax breaks, the investment penciled out. My company was not investing in any more turbines until the tax break was renewed for 2005.

A more agressive national energy policy would use that model to give a heavy push the development of alternates.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Just a thought
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »
I hear you brother, so you're preaching to the choir. You're right about no comprehensive national energy policy - I was being sarcastic.

I just hate sounding negative and I've tried my best to see any path not leading to some sort of dire circumstance in the next few decades, but I'm still searching. We're going to be alright for a while, but we're too late and public finances are in too much of a shambles. The only thing keeping investment floating now is foreign investment. Foreign oil or foreign investment subsidizing the debt? Pick your poison.

I was vilified here last year for warning about this administration's fiscal irresponsibility. But I'm rich; not smart like those who disagreed.