Author Topic: Newb here/former Red Baron  (Read 664 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Newb here/former Red Baron
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 11:26:52 AM »
Originally posted by smokey861
Im about to download the game and was wondering how many players are in the arena at one time. Hope I can have as much fun on this as I used to with AW.

Welcome to AH2. The average night MA group is around 350-600 with weekends being the higher number. Many are Ex-AW players.The game is as fun as AW ever was. The larger numbers in the MA means your SA must be high.

A few of thing you may want to note;

The planes much smaller than you'll be used to in AW so closure rates will appear faster until you get used to the aircraft size. They also make up for the lack of size by providing a zoom feature so you can approximate what they really should look like.

Gravity plays a bigger role in AH2 so if you carry lotsa of speed/throttle on the downhill the plane can easily go into compression. You can cut throttle and use rudders as an airbrake.

Most of the energy planes REALLY carry their energy well.

The game is strictly FR iso RR but there is a stall limiter to minimize stall/spins. It was meant to give new folks a chance get up and fly with a minimum of fuss but also limits the planes turning ability as you cannot fly as close to the edge of flight envelope. This means those who continue to use it will be at a disadvantage over those who don't.

You have the option of manually trimming the plane or using the auto combat trim. In most cases auto combat trim will serve you well although some folks actually think it will help you in a fight. You decide as you get used to the flight model and chose as you like.

There is no hit bubble. Bullets into the target do the damage. A weight of bullets (lots hitting a point) will do massage structural damage. So expect to hold a full second on target. Take unloaded shots whenever possible.

The .50 cals are not the same as AW. They are pretty much neutered by comparison so make sure you hold a lil more time on target with a heavy trigger finger. However, the Pony is still a sweet ride. It's the same ole give and take as you'll be used to with the planesets of AW.

You can adjust views.

You can adjust stick settings and can minimize any blackout.

Fuel burns can be set by the owners and have a tendency to run a lil high so get used to carrying drop tanks (DT). Initial suggestion for flying the Main Arena (MA) is to turn for home when you hit 1/4 tank until you get used to the burns.

Drop me a line or drop by the Training Arena if you'd like some help getting setup.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Newb here/former Red Baron
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 11:46:20 AM »
Hi Papa, I remember you

< ROC > here  welcome to AH
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 12:36:19 PM »
welcome back home, Papa.    :)

(had too many CPIDs in all 3 versions of AW to remember)

Offline Falcon

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Newb here/former Red Baron
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 05:36:53 PM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
Wow... I was a Widowmaker back on INN. I thought everyone else died.

Woof

I was in the Hawk's Talons squad on TSN/INN. Wow.

Falcon

Offline Wind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2005, 05:39:01 PM »
Hiya!

I played AW in RRE2 on AOL as a Red Baron!  Crash was our CO.

I moved to FR near the time Gamestorm went live to AW2.  I got sucked into FR when I played the third frame of Midway as a gunner.  That bastard Oopsey got me hooked!  

Haven't looked back since!

Welcome to Aces High!

W~

Offline 6GunUSMC

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.fasteasynet.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: Newb here/former Red Baron
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »
Originally posted by Falcon
I was in the Hawk's Talons squad on TSN/INN. Wow.

Falcon

I wonder how many other INN players are out there???  I think PSPrnha is playing dawn of aces or another WW1 Sim

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 03:39:12 PM »
I've seen it get as high as ~580

I haven't seen it in AHII, but I saw the arena fill up once in AHI(750).

;)