Author Topic: 109G6 flight help!.. need advice  (Read 831 times)

Offline Gorf

• Copper Member
109G6 flight help!.. need advice
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:22:20 PM »
Hail all,

Flying Squad operations and our group is Luftwaffe this round.  Most of the group jumped into 190 A5s but I could not resist the G6.

Well this is like the 2nd time I have flown it and have a few questions.

I took the Gondolas for extra firepoower.. does the Gondolas hamper the G6 to the point were its not worth taking them for  Dog fights/??

The extra cannon rounds are nice to have but not sure if it takes a bite out of performance.

Help please plus any othe advice on the 109G6 on flying it effectively against LAs an SPits.

Thanks

Gorf

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: 109G6 flight help!.. need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:50:47 PM »
Originally posted by Gorf
Help please plus any othe advice on the 109G6 on flying it effectively against LAs an SPits.

G6 is one of my favorites.  The gondolas are probably a bad idea, because the G6 needs all the maneuverability and speed it can get.  One tater gun is enough.

You can outclimb most other planes.  Climb to your left in a left turn.

The flaps are effective at low speeds.  Drop a notch or two at the top of your climb as you roll down to your left.

You have to get close before you shoot.  No shots over about 250 yards, best if well under that.

Remember that you have double the WEP of anyone else except other 109s.

Use the rudder to maintain your stability at low speeds.

Most people won't expect you to turn fight.  Surprise them.

- oldman

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 01:21:22 PM »
I wouldn't fly a G6 with gondies.. neuters the plane. 30mm is good enough.

For fighting spits, you want to be above them, and yo-yo aggressively to get shots on them while they're turning. An LA7 can out-everything a G6, so I find that the easiest way to kill them is to give them my 6 and make them overshoot.
Army of Muppets

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 03:41:37 PM »
We were G-6/A-5 also....

Took 1 up for a hop in MA right before....was amazed at how hard it is to hit a thing with it. On the otherhand it does seem to hit harder then I remember (20mm). I lobbed a few at a spitty caught up with a couple of others and was rewarded with his wing fluttering off on 1 or 2 hits (20mm I'm assuming)...on the otherhand I dumped 40+20mm + mg's at a lala from ~200 without a single hit. This was my 1st hop in 1 in AH2 I think...doesnt seem to handle as well as before. Certainly has great climb and acceleration but a bit "squirrely" for me....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »
1st time I flew one in FSO I asked JB42 if we should take gondies.
He said by all means as the thing flies like a tank anyway.

I got 5 kills that night if I remember. Mind you, that was against ponies, Jugs and P38s. MA could be different story but I've done fairly well in it there with same configuration.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 01:41:18 AM »
To me the G6 flies more or less like a G10 with a less powerful WEP. At low alts, anyway. They have just about the same handling at all speeds, so I will once again say that gondies are unnecessary and rather dumb to use. It may seem to be a flying tank, but it's a flying tank that can surprise anything... If you know how to work the throttle and can make your shots with 30mm. Trust me... you'll have a tough time killing people who get the jump on you if you have gondies.
Army of Muppets

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 11:18:12 PM »
They say 352 kills in that "flying tank"?:aok
I wonder if he used gondolas.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 09:06:33 PM »
Originally posted by ATA
They say 352 kills in that "flying tank"?:aok
I wonder if he used gondolas.
Nope. And it's a "flying blister." The universal conclusion by 109 pilots is that they were useless as fighters with gondolas.
Army of Muppets

Offline ATA

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »
Thank you sir.
You right
The "flying tank" would be an IL2:aok

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 11:13:22 AM »
The best advice for the G-6 is leave it in the hangar and get another flavor of 109 :)

If thats not an option and you have to take the G-6, like in FSO, I think Wetrat has it right.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 03:19:38 PM »
I would say take the G-6 without the godolas, Due to the drag they cause, the extra firepower is not worth the loss of agility.  I being usually a fan of the 109 series, would tend to take a f-4 to fight other fighters, and tage a g-10 with gondolas for the bigger less manuverable targets, as the larger daimler benz of the g-10 will offset some of the drag of the gondolas.  Still watch for the stall and remember speed is your freind.  

One last thing, watch out in a dive for the compresion, this will happen all too easy in a 109 in any variation.  Other thatn that they usually run like greased lightning :)