Author Topic: I never knew John Wayne flew F86's  (Read 734 times)

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
I never knew John Wayne flew F86's
« on: April 14, 2005, 05:15:37 PM »
Let alone the X-1.

Check it out "Jet Pilot"  1957 starring John Wayne, Janet Leigh and the US Air force.  Janet Leigh plays "Olga" the crack Russian spy who flys a Yak12 into a US Alaskan Air base.  Then the fun begins.

"Only the sky was big enough to hold the sweep and power of this epic-making picture."  

Best jet fighter footage until Topgun came along.  

John Wayne demonstrates some nice moves that I'm going to try int he MA tonight.  Actually, some of the stunt flying was done by Chuck Yeager.  (That must be where they got the X-1.

When Howard Hughes sold RKO, he sold it for $25,000,000 - which included the studio and a film library of 738 pictures. Later, Hughes decided he wanted two of those pictures, The Conqueror and Jet Pilot. He bought them back for $12,000,000 and kept them in his personal possession until after his death.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:05:52 PM by Killjoy2 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 05:19:33 PM »
Kick the tires and light the fires, baby!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 05:38:59 PM »
Killjoy, yer scaring me if you were noticing the airplanes.  I kinda think the only redeeming feature of that film was Janet Leigh :)

Dan/CorkyJr
Who generally always notices the airplanes :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 06:07:05 PM »
I saw that film for the first time a few months ago, and when it started I said:

"Man, I thought I had seen every John Wayne movie"

Now I know why I hadnt seen it, it is truely awful. Dan is right, Janet Leigh is the only positive thing going for that flick. :)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 07:54:08 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I saw that film for the first time a few months ago, and when it started I said:

"Man, I thought I had seen every John Wayne movie"

Now I know why I hadnt seen it, it is truely awful. Dan is right, Janet Leigh is the only positive thing going for that flick. :)

Funny. I saw it for the first time tonight and thought the exact same thing.

Agreed. Not a great movie but its alwasy interesting to see a duke flick youve never seen before and it seems like every time I think I've seen all the Wayne flicks I catch another one I hadnt seen before.

You wanna see some bad Wayne movies. check out some of his VERY early movies.
Talkies were pretty new back then
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 07:57:56 PM »
Saw it a few months ago while channel surfing.  Very interesting flick. :D   I had never heard of it before.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 09:28:14 PM »
Did you see Janet Leigh pwn him in the "dogfight"?

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:46:45 PM »
I fell asleep for about 20 minutes when Wayne "defected" to Russia.   When I woke up Wayne was in the Bell X-1 and Leigh was in a Yak 12 chase plane.  

I never did figure out how they got there.

If only the Cold War had been fought this way instead of using those crude McCarthy tactics.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 09:24:57 AM »
Janet Leigh ...she was hot...hotter than most back then me thinks. Kind of a dirty girl look...like Sharon Stone...had.

~AoM~

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:44:25 PM »
She was also hot in the "Vikings" with Kirk Douglas, Ernest Borgnine and Tony Curtis. Great flick that I haven't seen in a while.

:aok

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 05:53:04 PM »
vikings has one of the crapist props.. tony curtis's arm stump...good film except for that.. i can't watch it any more i get fixed on the stump and miss the action..

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 05:49:13 PM »
I just watched it a bit Friday. There's a scene where Janet and John are in a T-33 intercepting a B-36 _ two of my favorite planes when I was a kid.
I still remember getting into an argument with my brother over who was going to get to build the T-33, or F-94 that came in a pack or four or five models that my grandparents got for us.
I believe I got the T-33 but he got the P-47 (my favorite prop plane at the time).
I still think that there are few planes ever that look as cool as those two, and I found it pretty cool in the movie when they pulled up the hood things to be able to peer into the radar scopes to do the intercept.