Author Topic: Hero's rush in and sacrifice all to try and save lives  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Hero's rush in and sacrifice all to try and save lives
« on: September 11, 2001, 07:54:00 PM »
I saw on CNN that the tentative count of the losses in EMS workers is at least 278. At least 200 Fire Fighters and 78 Police Officers are missing in the colapse of the WTC. They ran towards danger to do what they could to help their fellow man. They were all afraid I'm sure, but they still did what they could to help. You can't simply stand by and let people suffer, you have to go even at the risk of your life.

That is the brand of courage of this country can be proud of. They died but they have certainly earned an honored place in heaven. May perpetual light shine upon them and their families comforted.

Brave men and women wearing badges all over the nation mourn the loss of their Brothers and Sisters.

<Salute>

Mav

God it's so hard to sit and not be able to go help.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
I've been in something of a state of disbelief all day.

Then... a reporter described coming across a firefighter covered in suit from head to toe.  The firefighter said "I just lost all my men.  Please call my wife and tell her I'm OK."

<Salute> to the firefighters involved... and to those all over the world.  I know every firefighter would have done and risked the same.

AKDejaVu

Offline Kronos

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
There is something u can do, if you havent already.  Give blood.  No matter where u are, plz give blood and help to save lives.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
I heard that atleast 20 firetrucks and almost 1000 rescue workers maybe more are buried alive under the collapses.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2001, 08:45:00 PM »
I'm in military and even before 6:00 (CA time) it started. America is in THREATCON DELTA. The Highest threatcon in 20 years. Most of military bases are on lock down and 12 hour shifts with telephone standby 24/7
From what I've seen a lot of people might/are getting deployed. Hospitals accepting blood and each base is trying to help on their own diffrent way.

Donate blood. They are needing it. I'm "-0" and I'll defenatly will be under nidle.

Serve your country!!!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2001, 10:09:00 PM »
I can't give blood. I contracted hepatitus A when I was a brand new rookie cop. They won't take my blood. I'm retired from both the Police and Army. There's just not much I can do and for someone who was always racing to get to the problem first...... I can't help. It makes me feel so fediddleing helpless that my Brother Officers and Soldiers are working to do something and I have to stand back and watch. That's why I opted to retire as soon as I did when I was disabled. I couldn't stand to stay at the station and watch my buds roll out to answer the calls. I always was in front now I can't even stand in the back.

Mav   :(
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2001, 10:10:00 PM »
fediddleing double post

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2001, 10:36:00 PM »
Just heard 300 firefighters are missing.

34 missing police officers.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2001, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
There's just not much I can do and for someone who was always racing to get to the problem first...... I can't help.
Mav    :(

You did what you had too when you were on the line. <S>.
 The police around WTC do not let the volunteers in under any pretext and even the blood donors other then O+ are told to come back tomorrow.
 They have enough competent people there.

P.S. This city is freaking out when we lose a fire-fighter - which happens once every few months. To lose hundreds of the "New York Bravest" in one day along with scores of policemen... Hard to comprehend.

miko