Author Topic: Falconry - anyone any experience  (Read 284 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Falconry - anyone any experience
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:40:47 AM »
MiniD 's photos has re-ignited an interest I have always had in hunting birds.  They are such wonderful creatures - powerful and unbelievably agile.
I fancy having a go at falconry and wonder if anyone has had any experience of it.  The idea of being able to fly these birds and watch them hunt intrigues me.

Sparks

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:12:18 AM »
You need to start small: I suggest you to catch a ladybug and train her to bring back the aphids that she catches.

That you'll step up to the dragonfly.
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 09:05:17 AM »
Dale Gribble had a falcon.  It worked out well for Bill Dauterive too.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 01:37:50 PM »
I looked into it many years ago but in my state it is strictly regulated and licensed.  After a one year stint as an apprentice you are voted on by a board of state licensed falconers.  Too much state involvement for me although I understood the neccessity.  I still have my "A Falconers Manual" book.  Was a rare book to find and took a few months to aquire.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 09:04:08 PM »
My buddy is a journeyman falconer.  He had to go through a ton of state regulation to get it.  

I've lost touch with him lately; I'll see if I can dig up an email address.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:25:38 PM »
Yeager, Tarmac

Thanks guys.  I'll be doing it in the UK I imagine and I don't believe there is as much regulation here. I have got details of some centres that do courses so I will probably do a taster day first to see if I think I can handle a bird. Found short and long courses here

I want to understand the downsides of keeping a bird - care, problems daily needs etc. .

Thanks again

Sparks

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 03:04:33 PM »
Sparks; go HERE  or some where like it (there's quite a few in the UK).

They'll give the full idea of what's involved. Be aware though; that although it's a bit more convienient to have than a horse; it takes at least as much time and dedication.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: Falconry - anyone any experience
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 09:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by Sparks
...They are such wonderful creatures - powerful and unbelievably agile....

And delicious:

Ingredients:
1 large onion, cut into eighths
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
2 to 3 pounds Perigrin Falcon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup homemade chicken stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 pound mushrooms, such as chanterelles, sliced
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside.

Stir the flour and salt together in a shallow bowl and dredge the falcon in the mixture.

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the same pan. Add the meat and sauté the pieces until they are lightly browned. Layer the onion over the top and pour in the chicken stock, white wine, and thyme. Cover and simmer until the pieces are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a small skillet and add the mushrooms. Sauté until they begin to soften. Season with a pinch of salt. Add the mushrooms and their cooking juices to the large pan 10 minutes before the falcon pieces are done. Serve garnish with chopped parsley.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 12:56:09 AM »
Hey Sparks

There's a Falconry centre (plus a few other wild animals) between Burley and Barnsdale a few miles from where I lived; I don't know if they do courses but since it's fairly close to where you live it might be worth asking a few questions/advice. (The Falconry Centre – The Avenue, Exton. Tel.+44 (0) 7778 152814)
NEXX