Author Topic: Game freeze and soundloop only solvable with hard reboot.  (Read 1435 times)

Offline LNWLF

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.1stnasty.com
Game freeze and soundloop only solvable with hard reboot.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 02:12:49 PM »
Well, I've once again experimented some. Changed my IRQ settings and while it did help a very little bit, it still ain't good. Game still locks up. Now, however, it might..MIGHT mind you...come back. After 2 or 3 times of it freezing up, my system gives up and reports that Aces High EXE has caused a fault somewhere and shuts it down. Have to reboot system to get back in then.
 I know what it ain't, just wish I knew what it was :confused:

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 03:23:54 PM »
LNWLF, Karash, Tex

I switched to Omega Driver 1.6693, and it hasn’t happened since.  It’s a couple of updates behind the NVIDIA Drivers.   Seems to be some problem with the latest NVIDIA Drivers (7189) and AH2.03 on some cards and systems.  Granted I only have anecdotal evidence but what the hey.  If you have an NVIDIA card go to
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Thanks RSLQK186
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 03:43:02 PM »
I dont have a NVIDIA card Im running a 9600 XT.

Tex.

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 05:03:23 PM »
I will give it a shot...maybe it is a driver issue, but I doubt it.

I will also try to get some debug info from the crashes.  If I CTD, I cannot reload the game until I reboot.  This generally points to a mismanagement of resources in the program itself.  Was AH2 recently updated?

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 09:34:16 PM »
same problem here have been discoed a dozen time in last 2 days,
never has that problem before, and cant seen to rectify.
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline LNWLF

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 12:50:23 AM »
Success!!! I DL'd the Omega drivers before I went in tonight. Game "hitched" a few times at the beginning but smoothed out and ran great the rest of the night. Also, I reset the resolution back to 1024x768 and bumped the textures back to 512 as well.
 Kong, I owe ya a beer (or the appropriate equivalent) :aok

Offline LNWLF

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 12:51:40 AM »
Almost forgot! Those Omega drivers come in ATI flavors too!

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 02:45:55 AM »
Well as much as I couldn't believe it, I installed the omega drivers today (on performance settings), and I didn't crash once in game.  Dont know if it is a driver issue or a patch/programming issue, but it seems to be solved for me.

the Omega driver used a previous version of forceware too, so I suspect that the newest vid drivers are not very compatible with AH:2.

Thanks guys!  I had a lot of fun tonight, instead of frustration!!! :aok

P.S.  Thanks whoever it was that I killed tonight...finally getting the hang of things! :eek:

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 04:21:20 AM »
The new Nvidia vid drivers do not support the 5000 series cards well.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 11:01:12 AM »
I keep telling you guys, the newer NVidia drivers are problematic, and not with just Aces High.  NVidia is focused on getting the most they can out of the FX6xxx cards to the detriment of all others.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 03:36:20 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Which means absolutely nothing when it comes to Windows.  Ever had the computer hang and hit the reset button?  Good chance you corrupted some files.  Installed any new software lately?  Good chance it altered some of your .dlls or drivers on its own without you knowing, possibly corrupted files also.  It happens.  I've also seen instances where hardware gets installed, drivers get installed, everything seems to work fine.  Only it shouldnt be.  A file doesnt get overwritten that should have, points to the wrong driver, everything seems ok.  Then one thing changes or messes up, suddenly the offending file realizes it's pointing to the wrong place, corrects itself, and BAM!  Your system doesnt work anymore.  Especially Direct X, its particularly bad about that.  People trust Microsoft far too much to do all the work for them even after being burned several times.

Star is absolutly correct. If you've had more than a few hard lockups it is always a good ides to re-apply the latest service pack. (2k/XP) This will refresh most of the critical .DLL files. It may also be a good idea to reinstall DirectX.

Win 9x users are kinda SOL, a reload may be in order. 9x is even more suseptable to this.

It doesn't happen as much anymore with 2k/XP but with 9x and NT something as simple as installing software can get your DLL files out of complience and cause system instablility requiring a service pack re-application or a 9x relaod.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
I keep telling you guys, the newer NVidia drivers are problematic, and not with just Aces High.  NVidia is focused on getting the most they can out of the FX6xxx cards to the detriment of all others.

This is gosbel guys, My old MX-440 would not run well at all on the new drivers, once I reverted to 61.77 all was well.

Offline Karash

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2005, 05:06:33 PM »
Yea, I didnt read where AH:2 had issues with drivers.  All my other games work fine, but now that things are working ok I might even put my AA up to 2x!

Thanks again guys.

Offline doobs

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2005, 11:38:16 PM »
omega drivers saved the day.
live and learn,(newb)
sorry skuzzy.
R.I.P JG44
(founding XO)

68KO always remembered

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 06:23:07 AM »
Originally posted by doobs
omega drivers saved the day.

And on that note... dumb question. Actually 2.  My new rig is cranking decent numbers with the sliders up about 4/5th's of the way (45-75 fps).
AMD Athlon 64 939 3500+
1 Gig cas 2.5 Ram
6800 Gt.

Would it be advisable to use the Omega Drivers?
Also..  I have another Gig of Cas 3 Ram. Would it be beneficial to use it... or lose it and try to get some faster memory?
:confused:

Thanks,
Woof