Author Topic: Game freeze and soundloop only solvable with hard reboot.  (Read 1434 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Game freeze and soundloop only solvable with hard reboot.
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2005, 09:16:28 AM »
Originally posted by KONG1

SOUND
Name   C-Media AC97 Audio Device

Alarm! Alarm! :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 01:35:07 PM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
And on that note... dumb question. Actually 2.  My new rig is cranking decent numbers with the sliders up about 4/5th's of the way (45-75 fps).
AMD Athlon 64 939 3500+
1 Gig cas 2.5 Ram
6800 Gt.

Would it be advisable to use the Omega Drivers?
Also..  I have another Gig of Cas 3 Ram. Would it be beneficial to use it... or lose it and try to get some faster memory?
:confused:

Thanks,
Woof

You could download the Omega's and try, wouldn't hurt.  Just make sure you have the old drivers you are using now standing by in case you want to switch back.  I've never heard of anyone who was using stock Nvidia or ATI drivers who changed to Omega and had problems if they didnt before.  You may or may not see an increase, but then the drivers may or may not be "tweaked" to run at their best on your rig.  Install them, play with the settings, see what you think.  

As for the memory issue, it depends.  On your memory configuration, and on whether or not your motherboard uses dual channel.  If you have 2 single 1GB sticks, probably no.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, even if your motherboard supports Dual Channel, I dont think you can benefit from it with only 2 sticks of RAM?  If you have 2x512 sticks, and 2x512 on your second GB, and if your motherboard supports dual channel, installing all of it might net you a performance increase.  Although (again, I'm not sure of this), I believe your RAM has to be matched pairs to run dual channel.  Bear in mind though that regardless of configuration, installing the 3.0 latency RAM will slow down your 2.5 latency RAM to match it.  The speed difference is probably only on the order of 1-3%, but it is measurable.  

Hopefully someone who knows more about the memory issue will chime in and either correct my errors or lend some support to my memory :)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 07:19:08 AM »
Originally posted by Karash
Yea, I didnt read where AH:2 had issues with drivers.  All my other games work fine, but now that things are working ok I might even put my AA up to 2x!

Thanks again guys.

We only have issues with drivers that are broken and violate the DirectX9 specification.  In certain cases, the newer NVidia drivers are just broken for older cards.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 07:23:24 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
Alarm! Alarm! :D

Definately a problem there.  C-Media never was stable and the AC97 thing they did was worse.  The products were so lousy they are no longer in business.
Random lockups, crashes, hangs, freezes are the norm for C-Media devices.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 04:45:49 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline XrightyX

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
Originally posted by doobs
omega drivers saved the day.
live and learn,(newb)
sorry skuzzy.

I was suffering low framerates and crashes after downloading NVidias latest drivers.  It coincided with the new patch so I was about to get pissed with HTC.  

However, I loaded the Omega drivers, too.  Running clean and smooth now.  Could even bump up my detail/distance/object size sliders 1/3 of the bar.

Offline RTO

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 06:54:01 PM »
happened to me today.  flying along in 110 about to hit vbase,  keyed mic to check status from squaddie ahead of me and sound looped with computer locking up, then had to reboot to stop it.  Gotta luv all the quirks that come along with updates and patches.

Offline SkyTex

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2005, 12:02:58 AM »
well, im having an issue like this except no sound loop issue. Skuzzy, you already have my dxdiag via email. was hopin for a response today so i could play this weekend. anyways, hope you figured out somethin.

i tried the omega drivers but it crashes my computer everytime i run the install program.... *shrug* im havin withdrawals atm. i haven't taken a plane in the sky since the patch!

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2005, 01:52:45 AM »
Been getting these freezes even more since the last patch.

Tex

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2005, 04:24:02 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Been getting these freezes even more since the last patch.

Tex

Tex, what sound device are you using? It's hard to help you without that info.

Offline Bushwack

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2005, 01:20:50 PM »
I have same problem here. Game freezes under 5 mins. I have chanced nothing before this problem. Now i have chanced my Ati 9800 driver to Omega, but no help.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2005, 07:09:21 AM »
As per earlier in this thread I still have the SB Live.

Im using 5.4 Catalyst based Omega drivers.

I get these freezes at least once every 1-2 hours atm.

Tex

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
Are you overclocking your video card at all?  Core overclocks can cause freezes and such also.  Possible the power supply isnt keeping up with video card demand also (or is just becoming unstable), resulting in power drop to the GPU and lockup.

Offline Gamer 101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2005, 02:22:40 PM »
I have the same problem and i tried the Omega drivers but it just screwed up my display setting so i had to uninstall it. What else can i do?

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2005, 02:58:23 PM »
Recently experienced something like this myself, seems to have been caused by corrupt ddraw files in the Direct X install.  Reinstalled Direct X 9c and its working now.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2005, 04:15:31 PM »
Careful its not just heat. Hard lockups requiring a reset are quite often temp of CPU problems. I had a huge problem like this with an XP1800. Took MONTHS to fix. Eventualy took side off and put an office fan against it and bingo.

Those early XP CPU's were tricky. This one would lock up at 50oC guaranteed. Put a side case fan in and problem vanished.