Author Topic: A Perfect Storm building explosion  (Read 306 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
A Perfect Storm building explosion
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:37:11 AM »
I want to describe for you guys a recent natural gas explosion in a Twin Cities northern suburb, because it represents a frightening confluence of factors that left an office building completely demolished and 3 people dead.   And there was no way to anticipate or prevent it.

The problem starts with a leaking natural gas pipeline joint, 50 feet away from the building. Because the pipeline is laid below the wintertime frost line, the gas didn't rise but instead travelled laterally under the frost cap until it found a point of entry (no doubt a crack or seam in the building's foundation).   Here, the gas collected.   Normally you can smell natural gas becuase of an odorous additive - but apparently travelling under the soil for that distance stripped the gas of its smell.   No one is sure how long the gas had been leaking or how much of it had collected in the building's basement, but it was enough that the explosion completely demolished the building.  The ignition trigger could've been any number of sources; even a phone ringing could've set it off.

Another factor was the building's construction.  This building had a concrete slab roof, so when the explosion occurred, the walls were blown outward and the concrete slab roof fell onto the occupants below and then shattered.  I saw pics of the remains of the building and it was just a pile of rubble.

Now the scariest part.   The leak in the pipeline joint was caused by a unlawful type of plastic to metal connection. I don't imply that all plastic to metal connections are unlawful, but the way this one was done it was in violation of building codes.   It was installed years ago by a company that no longer exists, having been acquired and merged a number of times.   So installation records of other connections performed by this company are spotty - but it is believed this type of illegal connection could exist at many other places throughout the north metro area.

Wonder why the company violated building codes?   Was it pure and simple profit margin over safety?   Or maybe it was the use of poorly trained, non-union workers (which also, I guess can be ultimately blamed on profit motive).    Why was the joint not inspected by a city or county inspector?

Lots of questions remain, and anyone who works in a building in north metro area may be sitting inside a time bomb again next winter.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:18:07 AM »
The sky is falling the sky is falling!!! We must ban natural gas!! I blame BOOSH!!!
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
Re: A Perfect Storm building explosion
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:17:15 AM »
Originally posted by oboe

Wonder why the company violated building codes?   Was it pure and simple profit margin over safety?   Or maybe it was the use of poorly trained, non-union workers (which also, I guess can be ultimately blamed on profit motive).    Why was the joint not inspected by a city or county inspector?

I would like to say..being part of an extortionist group..oops I mean a "Union" doesn't automatically make someone more skilled/qualified for a job. But they do drive company expensies up and end user costs.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:48:58 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't have included the part about the union - it was speculation on my part and the facts have yet to come out. I won't dispute your statement, ASTAC, but I do hold that in general, union employees are more skilled and  knowledgeable at their craft than non-union labor (I'm thinking about building trades here but it also pertained to the union employees of a food processing plant I once worked in).   But I won't argue to try to change your mind.

Really, the main point of my story was the magnitude of the disaster caused by contributing factors.   Luckily, it happened while few people were in the building.  I think there was one survivor.   Who expects to go to work one day, answer the phone and have the entire building explode and collapse around you?    Would almost be funny if people hadn't been killed.

Eventually some party or parties will be blamed, and rightly so.  I'm not sure anyone can be punished though, since the company hasn't existed for quite a while.

If it does turn out to be intentional building code violations to save money, I guess the lesson is that it paid off?   But it seems to me the inspections unit will bear some responsibility as well.

The local utility that inherited the problem may now have to raise rates for everybody in order to offset the cost of the massive records search and pipe repairs that will now probably be required.

Not sure how Bush could be blamed for any part of this local problem, Mav.   But thanks for your comments :)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 10:56:48 AM »
You sure it wasnt the CIA or a terrorist attack and the evil Bosh admin is covering it up?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:03:47 AM »
Well the local investigators have no reason to believe it was anything other than an unfortunate accident caused by a building code violation.

You guys feeling OK?

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 11:07:36 AM »
hey man if the CIA can hide a whole  airplane and make the crew and passengers just go away, you don't think they can have an effect on the locals?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 11:12:15 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
hey man if the CIA can hide a whole  airplane and make the crew and passengers just go away, you don't think they can have an effect on the locals?

What airplane, passengers, and crew disappeared?    Not sure what the CIA's motivation would be for blowing up a small bank office in Ramsey, MN?

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick
The sky is falling the sky is falling!!! We must ban natural gas!! I blame BOOSH!!!

A pre-emptive whine has been recorded.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 11:47:02 AM »
The crowd is skittish today I guess, and prone to jumping to conclusions.

What I found most morbidly fascinating is the confluence of factors - the fact that it was winter, so the gas creeped undergrond below the frost line, the fact that the distance travelled underground stripped out the odor and left the gas undetectable, and the fact that the building's construction caused the walls to blow out and the roof to collapse on top of everybody.   About the only thing worse that could've happened was timing - luckily few people were in the building at that time of day.

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
The crowd is skittish today I guess, and prone to jumping to conclusions.

What I found most morbidly fascinating is the confluence of factors - the fact that it was winter, so the gas creeped undergrond below the frost line, the fact that the distance travelled underground stripped out the odor and left the gas undetectable, and the fact that the building's construction caused the walls to blow out and the roof to collapse on top of everybody.   About the only thing worse that could've happened was timing - luckily few people were in the building at that time of day.

Insurance Scam?...what was the company's finances like?
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 12:38:31 PM »
Although any good investigator I'm sure would have to look at those questions, I think is virtually impossible to be an insurance scam.  

The gas leak occurred at a junction 50 feet away from the building, under a roadway.   There were plenty of other buildings around in this business district, this building just happened to be the unlucky recepient of the natural gas creeping along the path of least resistance.    Sometimes the gas follows the buried pipe right to the building.   The nature of the leaking pipe joint was due to age and the freeze/thaw cycles and temperature expansion and contraction.   That is why building codes specify the proper way to connect a natural gas line, I guess.

Just a really unfortunate accident caused by a building code violation and made much worse by contributing factors, I woudl guess.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 01:01:36 PM »
Under a roadway?  That makes it a NAFTA casualty!  Blame Canada and Mexico.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.