Author Topic: Palomino  (Read 848 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Palomino
« on: June 03, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
hooyah! Benchmark test of the palomino!
 http://www.ocforce.com/scoopage/

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Palomino
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
WOW!  I know what I want for my birthday now.    Hmm, anyone have a spare grand or two?

Intel better triple those blue moron commercials if they want to stay in business after these Athlon 4s hit the street.  This test is just with 1.2s, imagine it with 1.6+ GHz dual CPUs.

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Palomino
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2001, 03:21:00 PM »
From AMD's web site:

Where is it?

How about for Intel's counter:

1.7 GHz Xeon

Yes.. I am slightly biased

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Palomino
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2001, 03:24:00 PM »
LOL! I pulled "palimino" off of the web site refferenced above.

The question is now... what are these "palimino" processors and how do they stack up against AMD's "palomino"?

AKDejaVu

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Palomino
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2001, 03:59:00 PM »
Haha AkDejaVu, yeah they spelled it wrong.

Pentium 4 supporter eh, well I guess you get paid to do so.  

Once Intel decides to let the engineers and not the marketing morons design the chips again I might go with Intel processors in the future.  I had a nice conversation with an Intel guy not too long ago.    What he said is totally right when it comes to Intel.  Quote:  "You have to understand, Intel is not in the business of making chips, we are in the business of making money."  IMO they are pretty good at that.

The Pentium 4 is not a bad design, it's just not finished.  The engineers originally came up with a great design, unfortunately an expensive design as well.   I'd hate to be the poor fool that had to go back through the design to cut pieces out to save money.

I also have misgivings about the way in which Intel is trying to convince people that the Pentium 4 is somehow going to make their internet experience better.  (Netburst anyone   )  I suppose if I planned to make maximum profit from a chip and I knew that the uneducated public only saw raw clock speed as a performance measurement I would design a chip for maximum clock speed and worry about performance later as well.

Intel confuses me though, they still consider Sun to be a bigger threat to them than AMD.  ( Maybe they are jealous of the huge profit margins Sun is getting on their Sparc workstations? )  

As for the Xeon, I saw that Anandtech review a while ago, and frankly I'm not that impressed.  I'd bet the pair of 1.2 Athlons will beat the pair of 1.7 Xeons in Sysmark.  

AMD has obviously made a few improvements to the Tbird core for the Palomino besides just power consumption. (Prefetch, full SSE support, etc.) Since the Tbird already beats the P4 in most stuff, this can't be good news for Intel...

The real irony of this is that I live in Oregon, so eventually I may end up working at Intel.  I guess I might become pro-Intel again real quick.  

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
Palomino
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2001, 04:41:00 PM »

Intel confuses me though, they still consider Sun to be a bigger threat to them than AMD. ( Maybe they are jealous of the huge profit margins Sun is getting on their Sparc workstations? )

Its not just money.. its capability.

Anyone know how many Athlons AMD managed to make last year?  Anyone know how many P-3's Intel made last year?  Anyone know how many of those were sold to the home user?  Anyone know how many were sold to corperate users?

The money (profit margin) is in servers and work stations.  That's an arena we are trying to break into.  It's an arena dominated by SUN.  There is tons o money to be made.

Oh.. and don't believe that AMD isn't in it for the money either... they'll show you soon enough.

And let me know when you are looking for a job... I'll give you a few suggestions on various divisions and their worth

AKDejaVu