Author Topic: Cant use rudder  (Read 360 times)

Offline Sandertheman

• Zinc Member
Cant use rudder
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:42:11 PM »
Guys,

I hope you can help me out with a problem i'm having. I'm new to AH2 so it might be that I'm having a problem which is pretty obvious for more experienced users.

I can only take off in auto-take off atm. When I try to take off in bombers or larger planes the planes is turning around on the runway and I cant get it straight.

So, as you might think now : Read the help files, you idiot! But I did that, and I found out that I need to use the rudder to steer on the track.

My rudder is set to the default a,s,d options (don't have a pedal), but it looks like it doesnt work! When press one of the buttons to turn my rudder nothing happens, also the indicator in the cockpit (red vertical line at the rudder display) doesnt move! I also found out that there was a second button mapped "rudder"  for a button on my joystick, but pressing this button while i'm moving also doesnt work. Also when I'm pressing the joystick button AND e.g. the a button my rudder doesnt turn, and the plane keeps turning.

Doesnt matter if I slowly add engine power, or if my flaps are down or up. Tried to remap the buttons again to a,s,d; still no result!

What am I missing? Or is this something technical? Hope you can help me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Cant use rudder
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:53:50 PM »
when you go into  Setup->Controls->Joystick->Select Joystick from the clipboard menu

when you highlight RUDDER or click on  rudder, click on keyboard for your input device then click set input, or if keyboard is not present in the middle column where it shows your stick and mouse, click on rudder on the lefthand column, then on the right hand column click none. then click set input.

this should release your rudder so you can control it with A S D  on the keyboard

hope that helps

the following you pointed out:
My rudder is set to the default a,s,d options (don't have a pedal), but it looks like it doesnt work! When press one of the buttons to turn my rudder nothing happens, also the indicator in the cockpit (red vertical line at the rudder display) doesnt move!

that red line you are talking about is actually your Rudder Trim  not your  Turn/Bank indicator you should be looking for  look for #20
Instrumentation/Gauge layout
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:03:18 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Cant use rudder
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:54:21 PM »
OK, go into your settings, Controls, Keyboard Map and make sure under Flight Keys that A-S-D are mapped to the rudder control.

Next go offline and select a plane and go to the runwar of hanger, select an outside view (chase mode would be good, F4)

Press the rudder keys as see if it is moving the rudder.

If it's not, I'm not sure what the problem may be. Look in the joystick selection screen and make sure rudder is not mapped to any joystick axes.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Cant use rudder
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »
Also, when on take off roll, apply aft pressure to your stick (about halfway back), this will lock your tailwheel and help to track you straight down the runway. Once you have some speed built up ease fwd on the stick. You should have some decent rudder authority by 80mph or so.

Hope this helps a bit.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Cant use rudder
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 04:24:45 PM »
Originally posted by Sandertheman

When press one of the buttons to turn my rudder nothing happens, also the indicator in the cockpit (red vertical line at the rudder display) doesnt move!  

The red vertical line is not your rudder indicator; it's a gauge that shows you the rudder TRIM position.

The real rudder gauge differs a bit from plane to plane; but, taking the Mustang as a common example; the "rudder gauge" (really a slip gauge; but that's another thread) is the instrument right under the gun sight with a little ball in it. Most planes actually have two of these; one right under the gunsight; and a bigger one else where on the dashboard.

One "treads on the ball"; which means if the little ball is off center to the left; you need left rudder; if it's off to the right; you need right rudder; the aim being to hold the ball in the center of the gauge at all times.

The acid test for control set up is off line. Sit on the runway; engine off.

Wiggle your stick to "break" auto take off; should you have it enabled.

Press F3 for external view; then press your rudder keys. If they're mapped properly; you'll see the rudder move.

Let us know the result of this test; we can then either take you through setting up your controls; or how to use them; which ever is appropriate.

When it comes to actually taking off; then yes; it makes a difference with how fast you apply power, your questions show that already you're "getting it"; but first we need to find out where your problem is: Either setting up your controls; or the use of them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:27:28 PM by Seeker »

Offline Sandertheman

• Zinc Member
Cant use rudder
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 04:39:26 PM »
Ok, learned some new things! Thanks, yeah, once I unmapped the rudder from one of the joystick keys I could see the rudder move in Chase view when pressing a,s,d buttons. Nice, I was able to take off with small fighter planes using the rudder to steer.

But when I select a large two engined bomber, e.g. B-24J or B-26B, I only have to add a tiny little throttle and it starts turning, even if ive got my rudder fully to the left it keeps turning right on its place. Tried it with all flap positions and with my stick pulled back as RTR suggested. Do have any other ideas?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:53:24 PM by Sandertheman »

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Cant use rudder
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 04:57:15 PM »
sounds like maybe right brake stuck?

Happens to me sometimes as I have brakes mapped to two lower buttons on my Jstick and occasionally my Kboard slides over into it.....just an unlikely thought :confused:

Or...only left side engines running?...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Cant use rudder
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 05:02:35 PM »
are you starting the engines independently?  if so don't.

I have experienced the same problem you are describing, when I would apply throttle to 1 then the other.

let both engines ramp up at same time while holding the spacebar ( brake ) or the C & V keys ( also the brakes C = left brake V = right brake )

when you launch to the runway from the tower or hangar  don't use the shift 1 / shift 2 for independent engine/throttle control. launch and throttle up you should be fine.

unless you have went and messed with the keymapping of different engines.

you can check this by going back into setup/control/joystick selection  highlite the throttles on the left and see what control has authority. then reasign throttle one to your throttle control, etc...
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC