Author Topic: 2 overclock or not to?  (Read 429 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
2 overclock or not to?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2005, 08:07:32 PM »
Originally posted by humble
eagl....

You hit it right on the nose...in fact you posted a couple of helpful things back when I was messing with it. No matter how solid rig was AH stressed it out...even at moderate OC the heat issue made it impractical for the minimal FR gain...beyond the 5-6% range it would throw anomilies after less than an hour....or lock up.

funny how i got a 25% increase in clock rate and its fine? ;)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
2 overclock or not to?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 11:07:30 PM »
more power to you....if Iwanted to put in a better cooling system it wouldnt be a problem...but with stock cooling AH just runs to hot....bumped my FSBto 220 with NP for everything else....had VC bumped to 520/575. Upped benchmarks by25%+....but simply no reason to push system so hard when FR increase in AHwas so marginal anyway....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
2 overclock or not to?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2005, 07:41:27 AM »
Originally posted by humble
more power to you....if Iwanted to put in a better cooling system it wouldnt be a problem...but with stock cooling AH just runs to hot....bumped my FSBto 220 with NP for everything else....had VC bumped to 520/575. Upped benchmarks by25%+....but simply no reason to push system so hard when FR increase in AHwas so marginal anyway....

hehe well i got a silent boost cooler...which is MUCH quieter than a standard A64 heatsink...
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
2 overclock or not to?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »
If you rebuild your PC on a regular basis....say upgrade every year to year and a half.  And you have nothing to lose go ahead and overclock.  If you are going for huge gains...frs'...speed etc. don't count on it.  Usually gains are minimal at best.  CPUs and the like are desgned to run within parameters.  Naturally if you stretch them a price will be paid.  The components overclocked will have a shorter lifespan without a doubt no matter how you cool them.

Best thing I would advise is always build/buy a PC that doesn't have to be overclocked.  You'll end up happier in the long run with fewer headaches,PC downtime, and you'll save money and time.

Overclocking for a boost in FR is most times useless.  An increase of 5 to 10 is not worth it.  FRs' are dependant on monitor refresh rates.  You're not going to get higher frame rates then your monitors maximum refresh rate anyway.
- The Flying Circus -