Author Topic: Seattle hit by Quake  (Read 1511 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Seattle hit by Quake
« on: February 28, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »
Think the big man's trying to show the people how to properly wreck their city?  

Ok, not funny.

Hope nobody's hurt.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2001, 01:21:00 PM »
6.2 on the ole scale, not a little one. Anyone out there experience it?
 ... err 6.4 now!

make that a 6.5 !

Ripsnort - you feel it?

Now a 7.0!! WOW!
Glad to see you are alright Rip.

Eagler

[This message has been edited by Eagler (edited 02-28-2001).]

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Just rode the wave!  Epicenter was right here in Renton, south of Seattle! WOW!  I'm still alittle shaky as I type this!

Whats ironic, is, I work in an all glass 3-story businesss building offsite from the main plant, theres a sister building identical to this one, as the quake hit, I was watching the other building sway thinking "Look at that building sway!"..then I realized that it was a mirror image of ours!~  Under the desk I dove!

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-28-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Now they are saying 7.0.  30 miles deep though, so no after-shocks are expected, some damage to older buildings in downtown...our building has a nice crack in the stairwell, but, Boeing management has sent us back into the building  

Moose11

Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Wow.. incredible

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2001, 02:11:00 PM »
Now hearing epicenter was 30 miles S of Seattle, 10 miles NE of Olympia, which put the epicenter about 10 mile from my house!  Wife and kids were shaken to say the least.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
I was updating a commercial web site when it hit, and all I felt was a little rocking motion. People here were going nuts, even my boss said "everybody out!". I just shrugged and kept working; my boss didn't like that a whole lot. To me it's just another mover & shaker;<sarcasim> wow I'm shuddering in my boots </sarcasim>. We started to catch some info about it on the news. So far they've made a huge deal out of some falling bricks in industrial areas. Most of the bricks that fell around here fell off abandoned buildings! I sat back and told the boss "Just a little shakin', if the girls want to run let 'em run. Nothing's gonna happen so don't get your panties in a pinch".

He didn't like that, but so far I've been right. Now I'm back to reading these boards between spurts of doing code.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
We're very lucky it was 30 miles deep, the Northridge quake that hit CA was only a 6.4, but 10 miles deep and did heavy damage, killed 70.

Felt like I was on a water bed, big time rolls, then, getting outside, all the light poles continued to shake for a good 3 min. (prolly just the spring tension of the steel)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
I'm about an hour and a half drive north of Seattle... Vancouver BC.... and we felt it huge.

I was in a tangle with a 109  when it happened. It was really hard to tell what was happening at first. I thought for a second my plane was buffeting... Finally I was able to disassociate it from the sim, and I whipped off my headphones to hear the apartment just groaning.

It's funny... the other day I was lamenting the fact that I'm always someplace else, or sleeping, when an earthquake hits... This was fun  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »
Scared the living hell out of me Rip.

We had several people hurt by falling computers, monitors, cabinets and just about anything not tied down.  A gal I work with was hit in the face by a door she had just opened.  People were screaming and yelling.  

I was holding on under my desk thinking:
"How much can this building take?"  It was that bad.  I started to wonder how I should position myself for the collapse.  The Long Acres Training Center was moving in a back and fourth motion that must have been at least four feet end to end for about 15 times in about twenty five seconds.  Then it slowely petered out.

Kid and wife shaken but ok.  House did alright. Thankful to be alive.  

Thank you Lord,
Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2001, 03:03:00 PM »
We're just across the street from Long Acres, no equipment fell, no one panicked (probably because our excellent safty monitor and brain-washing meetings about how to prepare for it)...everyone was visibly shaken, but no panic.

LNN (Laura News Network, my wife who works at Harbour view) says 12 people in so far, 9 serious, 3 critical, Hwy18 was a semi rollover during earthquake causing injury/accident..Supermall is closed due to structural damage, Hwy410 had a rock slide and its closed, Renton plant had some structural damage and all employees sent home, HWY 167 is a ZOO because of the onslaught of workers leaving work early...reports still coming in..

Oh, and it scared the hell out of me as well, I yelled 'earthquake' as soon as it hit and didn't have to tell people what to do in my cubicle jungle, as soon as I yelled earthquake, folks hit the underside of the desk.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
We're just across the street from Long Acres
====
No toejam?  Which building? 25-01 here

Hehe....that was a fediddleing rollar coaster!
I hate rollar coasters.......Doh!

Y

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 02-28-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2001, 03:15:00 PM »
Black River Corporate Park, about 3 blocks from you.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Loggin off to fight the traffic, I hear its a real zoo out there...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2001, 03:34:00 PM »
We got hit with a rolling version.  Most quakes I've experienced (never in Oregon)have been somewhat rumbly.. not this one.

It was like riding a series of waves.  Just as I got my quake legs, it stopped and I was still swaying

I was in a room surrounded by HydroFloric, HydroChloric, Chlorine, Amonia and whatever else gasses and chemicals.  I think I felt safer there than most of the people in our office building did.

AKDejaVu