Author Topic: Seattle hit by Quake  (Read 1507 times)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2001, 04:24:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
We're very lucky it was 30 miles deep, the Northridge quake that hit CA was only a 6.4, but 10 miles deep and did heavy damage, killed 70.

I am prety sure that the quake strength is measured on the surface no matter how deep the fault is. So in a quake of the same strength in the epicenter with a deeper fault the strength will reduce more gradually and greater area will be affected.
 Damage done depends not only on the strength but on the kind of soil and construction/type of buildings. That is probably a reason of different results.

miko

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
This one was a doozy.  Went thru this in Boeing's Everett plant 22 miles N of Seattle.  Judged to be moderate 50 miles N. of the epicenter,   Felt like a full cement truck driving by on a long wooden bridge at first then came the east-west shaking like a ship on choppy seas.  45 seconds in length at my location and it felt like an eternity.  More info here:
 http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/activity/latest/eq_01_02_28.html

MiG

LJK Raubvogel

Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
The earthquake appears to have been centered on my mother-in-laws house, about 10 miles north of Olympia. Sorry guys, I've been telling her to lose weight <G>. Hope everyones alright.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2001, 07:24:00 PM »
<yawn> wussies....  

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2001, 07:47:00 PM »
Ehh.h. 7.0's pretty good.  It's measured at the epicenter.  If it's 30 miles deep, it's gonna be at least 30 miles distant from the nearest town.  When crap like that happens, don't mess around.  All you need is the wrong support to be shook in the wrong way.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2001, 07:04:00 AM »
I was 1.5 hours into my sleep when it hit (work night/sleep day).  I woke up to the rolling and rumbling, and in a semi-dream state watched my cat respond in the same lethargic fashion.  I remember wishing that it would stop, because the longer it went the greater the chance for real damage.  As soon as it stopped I remembered that my wife works in an Historical Landmark building, meaning very old & bricks, but I was so wiped that I went back to sleep in seconds.  

Well, turns out she was a mental wreck.  She had to get up at 1am that morning to go down to the store (which is in Pioneer Square) to assess and clean up the storefront damage done by rioting suburban brat hordes in the name of Marti Graz.  She did get back home for a few hours of sleep before taking Ben to daycare, then returned to the store only to experience one of her most dreaded fears, an earthquake.  When she got home at 6pm, her legs were still shaking.

Yeah, she wasn't too pleased to learn that rather than calling her, I had gone right back to sleep.

Yeah, I know.  I'm a bastard.

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 03-01-2001).]
ingame: Raz

nonoht

Seattle hit by Quake
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
humm  i felt nothing....

ahh maybe  it wasn't enough strong to go in France..

lol