Author Topic: CPU heat rising???  (Read 230 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
CPU heat rising???
« on: May 01, 2005, 09:58:36 AM »
Would adding more memory cause the CPU heat to rise?

Added another 512 to bring system upto a full gig and am now noticing my CPU temp has risen from an average 35-45 C to now 71 C.

What would cause this?

inside the case is clean ( I check it monthlyfor accumulated dust)

More memory?
CPU getting ready to bite the dust?
Fan no longer performing up to par?

Going to run out and pick up another fan later today just in case. Figger it couldnt hurt.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 715

• Silver Member
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 01:33:36 PM »
Fan going bad or perhaps you bumped the CPU heatsink and it isn't making as good contact to the chip??

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:45:38 PM »
what was old fans revolutions running at?

you might want to pick up some thermal paste while your at it, might want to scrape off old and redo.

also might want to look at you bios setting.

first things off the top of my head

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:20:21 PM »
71 is very hot....usually your auto shutdown is at ~60C or so....your riskingcooking both your CPU &MB at that temp. Something happened when you upgraded the ram...could youhave jostled the CPUand cracked the paste "seal"?

Thats a huge spike....from real good to down right horrible...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 04:08:16 PM »
planning on a bbq are we ...

bet you bumped the heatsink or unplugged the cpu fan .. better fix it fast your steak is burning.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 08:49:32 PM »
Ended up having to do some family stuff today so I wasnt ab get out to the stores till late afternoon.
Figgured I'd run out ot compUSA and pick up a fan real quick. Nu uh

Got to CompUSA at 6:03.  They closed at 6:00

Firgured I'd run to a radio shack and see what they had.
LOL not sure I'd try and cool a P500 with what they had.
Talk about a store going downhill by getting away from what they did best like carry electronics parts.
Oh well least they had the thermal paste.

Then tried a couple computer stores (mom & pop type shops) Figured they'd be closed to since they were in the area I thought I'd give em a shot just in case.
I was right, they were closed.

Last effort I thought I'd try Best Buy.

Got there at 7:05 and they closed at :700

Typical for the year Im having.

So I get home and try the same fan with fresh paste.
No good Temp rose back to 71 C in about 15 min.

Sooo I took that off and put my old Volcano fan back on it. Which I didnt want to do. because its so damn loud. Which is why I replaced it
Nice fan but only slightly less noisey then a shop vac and a real PIA to install.

After wrestling and cussing at it lud enough to send the dog and everyone else in the family into hiding (even the wife) I finally got it on. Its been on now for almost an hour and Temp is holding steady  between 38 and 39C. About to test it under AH conditions for the rest of the night.

Looked at the fan I took out and while I keep everything I can see in the case clean upon holding it up and looking at it I noticed the fins and the underside of the fan was clogged with dust so while the fan was spinning it was blowing air onto the dust and probably not getting to the fins which probably contributed greatly to the heat build up im thinking.
In any event the only way I was able to really clean it out was by removing the fan from the heatsink.
Something follks might want to keep in mind for the future. Next time you clean out your machine. Pop off the fan from the heatsink and see how much dust buildup you have there.
And blowing it out doesnt always get in there.

In any event. now that its clean Im flirting with the idea of putting it back in just for chuckles to see what happens. At worst it doesnt work and I but a new fan to re replace this volcano which I hate. but for right now its whats working.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 12:23:24 AM »
Well that musta been it. after 3+ hours of AH the temp never got above 44C
I'll take that :)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
CPU heat rising???
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 07:15:21 AM »
Exactly so on the dust.

Also you may want to take your power supply out, and clean the fan in there with a q-tip also as the same thing happens.