Author Topic: OK, a crazy idea I admit, but what do you think?  (Read 863 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
OK, a crazy idea I admit, but what do you think?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 07:23:24 PM »
Everyone has the free 2 week trial. Why should the get an endless free CT? They had 2 weeks to try it already and didn't ante up.

I do like the BOB/no GV rolling planeset idea though. I'd play that, especially if the icons were standard.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: OK, a crazy idea I admit, but what do you think?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 08:30:05 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
hmmm you want 353 player pay for plane used in an Arena with Zero players ?

(Zero player at the time of this post.)

Don't misunderstand my point, I don't WANT anything.  It's merely an idea thrown out for discussion.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 01:46:04 AM »
Ok so , btw I want the Jack too :)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 06:53:53 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Maybe you need to provide an alternative to the "Horde Capture/Win Reset" model of gameplay.

Turn off the base capture and make this the "Fightertown" idea that is continually brought up in the General Discussion. Use appropriate maps that don't require a long flight to the fight.

Yeah, the Bomber Boys and GV Aficionados will be downhearted but how many of them do you really get in here anyway?

I have no idea if it would work but it is something you could try for a coupel of weeks.

It's not like the place could really lose much participation.

what he said
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2005, 07:18:27 AM »
Everyone has the free 2 week trial. Why should the get an endless free CT? They had 2 weeks to try it already and didn't ante up.

I do like the BOB/no GV rolling planeset idea though. I'd play that, especially if the icons were standard.

Well I'd like more people in CT as I think it's the best part of AH except 99% of people prefer the MA....perhaps make it a month free trial but only available in the CT.....as it's going I don't think people will ever move over to the CT in any numbers...too addicted to their late war faves in MA.

On the icons my pref would be 2000 for all cons.....

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2005, 10:57:45 AM »
Originally posted by Schaden
Well I'd like more people in CT as I think it's the best part of AH except 99% of people prefer the MA....
[/b]

OK, so we agree that the overwhelming vast majority of paying players don't agree with you about the CT.

perhaps make it a month free trial but only available in the CT.....
[/b]

You want HT to give away 4 more weeks of CT time after he has given them 2 free weeks of ALL ARENA AH time?

All these potential customers you envision HAD a chance to fly the CT in their 2 week trial. Obviously, it wasn't satisfying enough to get them to sign up.

as it's going I don't think people will ever move over to the CT in any numbers...too addicted to their late war faves in MA.
[/b]

Certainly they won't move to the CT as it has been and is. That's been proven beyond a doubt. I don't think it's the "late war" addiction that keeps them from coming over in droves.. it's that the CT really is just the MA with an Axis/Allied setup and less SA information than RL would offer with respect to icons.

They MAY come over if the CT offers more fun than the MA. That's the key. Why do people play games? For enjoyment, for fun... offer more enjoyment and watch them hustle over.

Otherwise... crickets own the CT.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 11:05:23 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 03:52:37 PM »
We actually have quite a few planes that have been added to the game with an eye to both the CT and special events.  They are usually the early war a/c, and are only really competative in the CT or special events, they HTC does make them available in the MA.  I would like to see some pre-war and post war a/c developed for CT-only use, such as the Spanish Civil war era a/c and the early jets (up through Korea, for example).  The could be kept out of the MA (especially the jets and uber-props), but rotated through the CT and for special events.  However, I can see where HTC would be reluctant to commit resources when some many a/c central to WWII are not yet represented in the primary game.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
Personally I dont think it would take much to get the CT bumped up a couple of notches....

Look at the DA...it often has 20-30 people up at one time.

1) closer bases cant hurt (of course I'm going off memory here:)

2) limited or eliminated Strat / GV's...in an arena with so few people why have them...personally "static" maps are better...after all its a tactical war scenario.

3) some side balancing (voluntary or forced) to keep things relatively even...

4) focus on planesets that are most appealing and/or balanced...

I honestly think that their are plenty of people who dont really like the MA...they just like the CT even less:)...so they leave or hit DA or fly scenarios....I dont think icons and such matters...also turn up ack to autokill:)...just "eliminating" the vulches will bring you a bunch from the MA:)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 05:25:06 PM »
OK so how bout this.

3 maps.

1-ETO
1-Pac
1-Russian Front (with one week Russian v Japanese. or include the late war Japanese in the 44-45 set and make it a 3 country war for that week.
Use one of those weeks for Finn-Russ also.

each one runs for a month.

During that time 4 plane sets
39-41
41-42
43-mid 44
mid 44-45

No perks, no scores, no base capture.  Any bombing is strat, not airfields.  No GVs.

Announce it loud and clear.  See if possibly HTC would be willing to include an announcement as folks enter the MA showing what's 'playing' in the CT.  Could be the LA and D9 fans might check it out.

Can't hurt to try

Dan/CorkyJr

And as a PS.  The regulars would have to make it work and sell it to the folks they see new in the arena.  

Gotta watch the griping about plane sets.  Live with it.  The war wasn't always even.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 05:31:34 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2005, 05:39:43 PM »

OK, so we agree that the overwhelming vast majority of paying players don't agree with you about the CT.

[/b]

You want HT to give away 4 more weeks of CT time after he has given them 2 free weeks of ALL ARENA AH time?

All these potential customers you envision HAD a chance to fly the CT in their 2 week trial. Obviously, it wasn't satisfying enough to get them to sign up.

[/b]

Certainly they won't move to the CT as it has been and is. That's been proven beyond a doubt. I don't think it's the "late war" addiction that keeps them from coming over in droves.. it's that the CT really is just the MA with an Axis/Allied setup and less SA information than RL would offer with respect to icons.

They MAY come over if the CT offers more fun than the MA. That's the key. Why do people play games? For enjoyment, for fun... offer more enjoyment and watch them hustle over.

Otherwise... crickets own the CT. [/B]

Firstly I was merely giving an opinion and hoping to open a discussion on how to improve numbers in the CT, instead of merely *****ing and whining why don't you try to come up with an original idea?

if negativity is all you can offer crawl back into your hole.

oh and don't bother answering you're ignored.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2005, 07:38:31 PM »
Originally posted by Schaden
Firstly I was merely giving an opinion and hoping to open a discussion on how to improve numbers in the CT,
[/b]

You did open a discussion. It was a short one. I think the reason for that is obvious.

instead of merely *****ing and whining why don't you try to come up with an original idea?
[/b]

Here's an idea: You quote me *****ing and whining in this thread and I'll show you my original idea in this thread, OK?

Ready, set, go:

Toad:

Maybe you need to provide an alternative to the "Horde Capture/Win Reset" model of gameplay.

Turn off the base capture and make this the "Fightertown" idea that is continually brought up in the General Discussion. Use appropriate maps that don't require a long flight to the fight.

Yeah, the Bomber Boys and GV Aficionados will be downhearted but how many of them do you really get in here anyway?

I have no idea if it would work but it is something you could try for a coupel of weeks.

It's not like the place could really lose much participation.
[/b]

Your turn.

if negativity is all you can offer crawl back into your hole.
[/b]

My "negativity" is solely directed at your astoundingly bad idea. Not only is it stretching it to think that people who already had a free 2 week trial will join up if given a free month of CT, it's simply incredulous to think that with ~99% of paying players preferring the MA there's this large number of H2H players that would pay after a free month of CT. Hey, if they were going to PAY statistics tell us the overwhelming vast majority of them will play in the MA,

Lastly, the idea that HT will give them twice as much time free to try his least popular areana is.... stretching it as well.

So, sorry if you view realism as "negativity". But there isn't anyway your idea would a) bring many people into the current CT idea or b) be approved by a shrewd businessman like HT.

IMO, of course. Maybe you just had the most brilliant idea in the history of online gaming. I've been wrong before.

oh and don't bother answering you're ignored.

My heart is plumb broke in two. Does this mean the engagement is over and you're giving me back my ring?

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2005, 08:05:33 PM »
There are no troops to grab bases this week. In hindsight I should have moved the lines further east for closer fights. The IJN does have a CV right off Rangoon however and so far its seems to be working ok.