Author Topic: Incredible new turboprop engine for light a/c  (Read 6478 times)

Offline CMC Airboss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Incredible new turboprop engine for light a/c
« on: May 03, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »
A small, cheap, and powerful turboprop engine for light aircraft is now available.  This thing looks pretty amazing and just sips fuel compared to most turbines.  Best of all, the cost is a tiny fraction of a PT-6.  

Innodyn Turbines have a centrifugal compressor and a radial inflow turbine. They are direct spooled and feature digital computer control with a redundant analog system. Innodyn Turbines operate on several different fuels and require little regular maintenance.

Each Turbine weighs no more than 188 pounds, and is designed for use with our firewall forward kits.  Because the Innodyn Turbine is directly driven, rather than spooled, there is virtually no lag associated with increasing speed.  In general, we have found our internal flight data indicating fuel usage of approximately 7 gallons per 100 hp per hour.

Innodyn 165TE
165 Horsepower
Introductory Price: $26,500

Innodyn 185TE
185 Horsepower
Introductory Price: $28,000

Innodyn 205TE
205 Horsepower
Introductory Price: $29,500

Innodyn 255TE
255 Horsepower
Introductory Price: $34,500

There are 2 basic controls to Innodyn Turbines – the propeller RPM throttle and the propeller pitch. The computer manages the amount of fuel the Turbine draws, and alerts the pilot with a warning light if too much power is being requested. The computer control will not let the Turbine over-heat, and it will not let the Turbine over-speed.

Innodyn will offer a line of firewall forward kits. At the present time, the following kits are either readily available or under development and will be available in the near future:

• Van’s Aircraft: RV-4, RV-6, RV-7, RV-8, RV-9, RV-10
• Smith Aviation PA-18 Modified SuperCub
• Lancair 360
• Glassair Sportsman
• Canard type kits

More info: http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/products.html

Videos of an Innodyn powered RV

http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/action.html

MiG

ps.  I have no connection to this company or its products.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 02:02:47 PM »
I wish my Mooney...well...enuf said...

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »
Yeah I would love to have a turboprop on my P35 Bonanza but they are just to cost prohibitive at this point. If they would offer a 300HP model under 40K I could see me putting it on my Beechcraft. That is, once the FAA gives them the green light.

I think it would look great on my bird. I have always wanted a turbo prop. I fly a PC-12 part time. I love those big PT6s. If these can prove the be as reliable as a PT6 this thing should fly though an FAA cert for putting them on cert aircraft. I bet with one of these on my P35 she would really move then.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:22:00 PM by Kegger26 »

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 05:07:36 PM »
Seems reasonable enough. I mean, a new IO-360 will cost you 25K without breaking a sweat. Continental along the same lines + accessories. Hope it does get an STC.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:30:16 PM »
Id really like to see fuel-burn comparisons between a recip and turbo-prop aircraft in the same configuration.

Few guys I know went with the Quantum Turbo Prop for the BD-5, while great power in a very light package...a very impressive fuel burn too.

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 05:33:33 PM »
I don't think they have a production version yet.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 06:17:30 PM »
I read an article on them, they look promising.  The fuel burn is about 7 gallons per 100hp per hour.

http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/faq.html
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 06:24:52 PM »
From their website on a section regarding constant speed props and takeoff procedures:
It will not be possible to accidentally enter a negative pitch into the propeller while airborne, as this would be a very alarming development.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 07:53:13 PM »
Lepaul,

General comparison between recip and the data they put in the quote here.

Cessna 172 165 hp @ 7GPH

My old Comanche 180 @ 8.5 to 9.5 GPH

Their data is 7 GPH per 100 HP. In the case of my Comanche the 55 Gal usable would go away pretty darn fast at almost 14 GPH. But then again my bladder limited me to about 3 hours anyhow.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bunch

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://hitechcreations.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=17
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:29:34 AM »
I would wager you did not operate your comanche at full throttle the whole time airborne, so the ~9 gallons was probably not buying you all 180hp for an hour....time to go into business selling JetA tanks, pumps, etc. to FBOs

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 12:45:09 AM »
I've been reading more about this engine tonight, and the more I read, the more I fall in love with it.  Something to figure when working out the cost to run, the TBO is around 5000 instead of 2500, and looks to be the same price.

Fewer moving parts, they have firewall-forward kits...  this thing is gonna be big.

Check out the videos.  That sound...  oh my.

I gotta get me some of that turbine action.  Time to get an RV-10 with one of these bad boys...  holy crap.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 01:03:07 AM »
Ok, I've been reading about it on the vansairforce.com forums, and I guess I should 'throttle back' the enthusiasm a little.  They might not be as super dooper as their website claims, we need to wait a little more, I guess.  

But still...

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 03:03:55 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
I read an article on them, they look promising.  The fuel burn is about 7 gallons per 100hp per hour.

http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/faq.html

That engine is more expensive and consumes a helluva lot more than a Diesel, to which a lot of people are converting their Cessnas at the moment.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 04:33:43 AM »
Maybe Mora,

BUT - try flying on 100 LL in your country when it is $13.00 a gal for 100 octane. You can't do it for very long - and Kerosene, Diesel or JP, or Jet A doesn't require the complex refining of 100 LL - so while the burn rate maybe higher, the operating costs are less in the long term.

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 06:58:52 AM »
The truth is your really not burning that much more an hour in fuel and like     
Wolfala said it is cheaper in the long run. I am about to go the way of tip tanks on my bird. Currently I burn around 18-20 gal and hour. I carry enough fuel onboard for around 4 and a half hours of safe flying. In truth nobody is wanting to stay up in the air that long in a small plane. So it isnt even an issue. I would love to be able to burn Jet-A and run my enigne at full power all the time. My plane is fast as it sits now. But it is held back on the perf flying due to the restrictions built into my wallet. I think an afforidable turbo prop would correct this. And pay for it's self over time.