Author Topic: pls model flame-out on jets  (Read 329 times)

Offline IK3

• Copper Member
pls model flame-out on jets
« on: May 08, 2005, 09:27:01 PM »
back then jets experienced 'flame-out' (engine dead) when tried to manuver hard at high angle-of-attack.

should HTC model this feature?

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 09:36:08 PM »
I thought the flameout was caused by sudden advance/retreat of throttle levers.

I think our 262 reacts with a 'safety buffer' regarding throttle control, so no matter how fast a pilot fiddles his throttle, the RPM rate of the jet engines change at a certain, slower rate. Something ofcourse, which the real planes did not have, but just implemented in AH.

On the other hand, one thing that would be really interesting is if HTC implemented engine detonation or CSU malfunctions due to sudden throttle inputs in prop fighters. I don't think such a feature would ever be implemented in AH, but it does give something interesting to think about.

IIRC, not many fighter pilots fiddled around their throttle settings as we do in the game. They'd just set the throttle to predesignated positions, and duke it out. I think only the best of the pilots would ever fiddle with the throttle during combat - at least, at the rate we do in the game.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 01:00:44 AM »
But if that happens then we're into the lets model engine failures, gun failures etc of every aircraft.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 03:11:06 AM »
It's probably a bit different from those Kev. Engine detonation or CSU malfunction in regards to sudden throttle adjustments aren't necessarily 'random'.  I'd suspect it would have a much more consistent factors working into it, as compared to gun jams or accidental engine failures.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 03:20:48 AM »
But if that happens then we're into the lets model engine failures, gun failures etc of every aircraft.

then were on the right track!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:46:47 AM »
In RL one had to be extremely careful with the 262 throttle, give it gas to quickly and it will catch fire!
This was solved post war, with a little device called a regulator.
I am not sure about the early allied jet engines, since they were a different design. Anyone?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 08:01:26 AM »
IL2 agrees with you Angus. Throttle the 262, you best have a Nomex flight suit. Not sure how that all figures into AH2, just a observation.

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »
flameouts are actually compressor stalls i  believe..aoa of air entering the compressor gets to high to create "lift" on the blades, although there are many other things that could cause it as well im sure.

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 03:41:45 PM »
Seems to me they do "flame out".  Not here lately, but in the past I have pulled to hard in the ol' 262 and  if the wings stayed on the engines flamed out?  Pull stick and hear that bam then hear the engine whine down to nothing,  pull up damage list and it showed engine 1 and 2 out  :(   hummm......