Author Topic: Hey P47 pilots am I crazy or...???  (Read 1478 times)

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Hey P47 pilots am I crazy or...???
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 01:40:45 PM »
Definitely one of the most underestimated planes in the game, which is why so many are succesful in it.  It grew its reputation as being a big lumbering ordnance transporter, and thus most people view it as a 1-shot easy kill.  Imagine their surprise when they find 8 50cals slicing away their wing.   Unfortunately, the thing is also really easy to rope.  If more pilots realized that, I might have to pick up a new ride....whoops.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 04:16:22 PM »
if i didnt love the P38 so, i would be a jubdweeber for sure.  great plane. :aok
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 04:56:41 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
yeah jugs rock... they can surprise you.  i prefer the d11 and once you get used to the arsed cockpit views... i also prefer the d40 over the d25... never did find a comfort zone with the d25...

Funny ... I find the D-25 to be comfy and my favorite.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 11:42:54 AM »
All three Jug's rock, but I prefer the D-11. The D-11, really slow, will out turn a surprizing number of planes, and can force overshoots on just about anything. Get a few hours in the D-11 and you wont even notice the canopy frames. One benefit to the P-47's is so many people see a low Jug and think "hey, easy kill" that you dont have as much trouble getting people to engage you as in other planes.

Offline Longdist

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 01:26:57 PM »
I only really fly two aircraft in AH, one is the P40B (the best fighter out there) and the other is the JUG, although not so much the D40.  I think the JUG under rated status came from those that look at it as a bomber.  Most P47s you come across in the game are ussually loaded to the gills with every rock and brick it can carry (which is allot).  I believe that most don't fly the JUG because it, like the P38 requires a little bit of thought to fly it.  I have found that you really don't dogfight with the JUG, but rather, you Hunt with it, and a great hunter it is.  Why just last night my JUG (D25) had two LA7s for the main course, with an N1K on the side and a SpitXIV for a light dessert.  I was hoping for a nice vulching 190 to go with the after dinner coffee apon returning to base, but alas, none showed up.  Lets face it, its a good turner, has the best 50 cal firepower out there, and can run down and catch everything that runs from it.  It really is to bad there aren't more out there that don't fly it, because as your just figuring out, as Shane says "JUGs Rock!".  Now if you really want to have fun, take up a Val and go on a fighter sweep.  One quick turn and you'll find LAs will run from you (LOL, I have film)...:aok

Good Hunting All (Whatever you fly)!

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 03:33:29 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
@pellik

Im in the D40 atm but I will try the D11, though the views out of that one are sooo horrible.

When you do the double immels do you you strech em as high as you can or pull em as tight as possible?

Personally I dont really see the use of trying to pull em tight because I doubt you can pull em tight enough to get inside the enemy and it will burn to much of my E.

Pulling streaching em high can be an alternative if I got a E advantage but then it will be hard to pull double ones and I dont like streching immels as your so exposed to a inside shot if you misjudge the E situation.

What I have been doing is that Ive been angling my immelman. This way I still get the high reverse effect on flat turning dweebs while managing to stay vertically with immeling pilots. Unless the enemy can read the angle immellman (which Im sure most reading here can) then I do get a good angle on my opponent.

Tex

Generally you need to pull your immels pretty tight. You wont get in behind him on your first immel, but it's important to be reasonably nose to nose on the second merge to keep him from pulling in behind you. Consider 1 notch of flaps going into the first merge, and 3-4 notches as your getting to the top of your second immel. All you really want to do is get him to nose down first, you're not trying to rope-a-dope.

If you both come in really fast (400mph+), consider doing a tripple immel, with momentary dispersal of 1 notch combat flaps on the first, 1-2 notches after getting your nose up on the second, and full flaps possibly leaning into a pitchback for the third. Think of this more as an uppword verticle scissors fight then anything else.

The pitchback is mostly used as an aggressive line against the proper immel. The problem is the real knife fighters like a spitV can cover enough alt to counter you with a flat turn then immel combo. If your opponent does a flat turn just be lazy in your second immel and maybe cut throttle to convert into a stall loop to gain angles.

-p.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 03:39:46 PM by pellik »

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 02:56:54 AM »
From the US fighters i personally like the Jug the most, because its some kind of FW190 counterpart with some additional room for slow turning.
I can basicly fly it the same way i do the Dora, because the Jug has also very good high speed handling, roll rate and zoom capability.
But also it offers those neat combat flaps that can be a T&B fighters nightmare, especially in combination with those 8x0.5 cals with exellent trajectory.

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 04:41:22 PM »
I have not used that particular bird to much sucess,  Mostly I hunt in my 109 at around 15-20K and like the high fights.  Though I have a liking to the German hardware I may try the p-47 if it is worth the investment in time. :)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2005, 05:44:44 AM »
Ive definatly found my favo jug now... the D25... god what a sweet ride... Propably the most enjoyable plane Ive flown so far...

Im smiling on every sortie to see how everyone underestimates the agility of the jug... ;)

So many people think they can outmanouver me with a half arsed effort... soooo satisfying... ;)

Bring on ToD and bring on the luftwaffe!!!! ;)

Tex