Author Topic: Take Action!  (Read 594 times)

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Take Action!
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2005, 01:36:15 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
well considering they are responsible for what happens on school grounds I say it's pretty reasonable that they make the rules.

I agree its very reasonable, but the school staff are more like nazi's they let nothing slide for any reason. I have no reason to complain because i do nothing wrong.  But when you slip on something as stupid as talking to your mother on the phone. Its just unfair.

I also notice they treat kids differently, they are people too and they sterotype kids the first day and treat them like children, note: they treat no one there age.

The rule is not to have them on during school hours and to have them on silent, if it goes off they say they nicely tell you to turn it off- do they? nope.   maybe its just the two schools ive been too, who knows.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:40:01 PM by Sp4de »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Take Action!
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »
Originally posted by Sp4de
I agree its very reasonable, but the school staff are more like nazi's they let nothing slide for any reason. I have no reason to complain because i do nothing wrong.  But when you slip on something as stupid as talking to your mother on the phone. Its just unfair.

I also notice they treat kids differently, they are people too and they sterotype kids the first day and treat them like children, note: they treat no one there age.

The rule is not to have them on during school hours and to have them on silent, if it goes off they say they nicely tell you to turn it off- do they? nope.   maybe its just the two schools ive been too, who knows.

well it's no different later in life.  The few spoil it for the many.  ALot of rules are ZERO TOLERENCE now because parents demand it.  wacked out kids are shooting up their schools and this is just one way schools see the need to keep their students under control.  

Schools are really damed if they do damed if they don't.  If they don't take action somone gets hurt and the school gets sued.  If they do take action somone feels unjust and they get sued.

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Take Action!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »
well it's no different later in life.  The few spoil it for the many.  ALot of rules are ZERO TOLERENCE now because parents demand it.  wacked out kids are shooting up their schools and this is just one way schools see the need to keep their students under control.  

Schools are really damed if they do damed if they don't.  If they don't take action somone gets hurt and the school gets sued.  If they do take action somone feels unjust and they get sued.

No one ever wins.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Take Action!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2005, 01:51:13 PM »
The school has every right to take the phone if he's breaking SCHOOL policy with it on SCHOOL grounds during SCHOOL hours.

Then the teacher was a true a-hole for not listening to his reason.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Take Action!
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2005, 02:05:17 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu

well sometimes when you deal with 17 and 18 year old babys all day you develop selective hearing and lose a bit of reason.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Take Action!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »
Originally posted by Fishu

Kids have all kinds of bull**** "reasons" for their actions.  You learn quickly to apply the bull**** filter to anything coming out of their mouths. If they have a really good reason, and I have reason to believe them, I might allow them to bend a school rule here and there.  But if their first reaction is abusive, then forget about it.

I'm totally in favor of that school's phone policy.  How are we supposed to teach kids who don't have the good manners to put away the phone when they are supposed to be paying attention to class?  Their parents didn't teach them common courtesy, so we have to do it.

And yes I know he was out of class.  But what happens is that kids lie to the teacher "I have to go to the bathroom", then go outside to have phone conversations, text messages, games, etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 04:04:54 PM by FUNKED1 »

Offline CPorky

• Copper Member
Take Action!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2005, 11:48:29 PM »
This country truly has no hope; we can't even allow a school to handle internal disciplinary actions without the press inflating the issue. None of us were there, and I'll bet not a single one of us are even taxpayers in that district. What business is it of ours?

Leave it alone, it belongs with the residents in that area that will elect the next Board of Ed. If the townsfolk decide to get involved, the Board of Ed will reverse the Super's decision, it isn't worth the media time for national news.

We have enough to worry about without micro-managing schools.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Take Action!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2005, 12:33:38 AM »
Originally posted by CPorky
This country truly has no hope; we can't even allow a school to handle internal disciplinary actions without the press inflating the issue. None of us were there, and I'll bet not a single one of us are even taxpayers in that district. What business is it of ours?

Leave it alone, it belongs with the residents in that area that will elect the next Board of Ed. If the townsfolk decide to get involved, the Board of Ed will reverse the Super's decision, it isn't worth the media time for national news.

We have enough to worry about without micro-managing schools.

they allready have.  The school shortend his suspension to 3 days.  He goes back to school on monday.

Offline lada

• Silver Member
Re: Take Action!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2005, 05:56:04 AM »
Originally posted by Hawklore

Here's my take on this. At 17 he's old enough to fight for his country and old enough to be treated better.

Hes nothing but 17 years old child. He doesnt beer responsibility on his own, so he should STFU and be obey.
17 years old warriors ? :rofl
In China they consider ppl under 18 as abused child who have to work :D

For one thing, don't grab a phone out of his hands while he's talking to his Mom who's in Iraq fighting for her country.

If they arent inteligent enough to make their call during his free time, he could use brain and leave class for 5 mins.

Second, don't treat him like a child, then get upset because he got angry.
Who exactly is the adult here?

Frankly, if someone grabbed a phone out of my hand, I'd be angry too and I'm 45 and don't have a Mom in Iraq.

man if you arent able to accept rules, you can be angry 24/7 and nobody care.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 06:00:04 AM by lada »

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Take Action!
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2005, 07:12:09 AM »
Problem I got is that the teacher took the phone away forcefully, and hell I would wooped bellybutton on that teacher if my mom was over in Iraq and I was talking to her...

I belive the teacher should be sent over to Iraq to apolgize to the mom..
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Take Action!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2005, 07:22:56 AM »
Plus the kid did go outside to take the call, and was reportedly on a break at the time anyway, so it would seem he made an effort to receive the call appropriately so that it didn't disturb anyone else.

There are rules and there are rules. Yes we want the schools to have "zero tolerance" for things like illegal drug use and violence on campus. But when it comes to matters like this, common sense says there may be appropriate exceptions. The school and anyone else who doesn't agree is stupid.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Take Action!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2005, 10:51:28 AM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
Problem I got is that the teacher took the phone away forcefully, and hell I would wooped bellybutton on that teacher if my mom was over in Iraq and I was talking to her...

I belive the teacher should be sent over to Iraq to apolgize to the mom..

yes but what you are forgetting is the kid didn't even attempt to explain the situation to the teacher and he got disrespectful.  The school has a policy against cell phone use on school grounds during school hours lunch break or not.

Again the kid got out of line with a teacher.....that's all this is.  Schools have the right to take a phone when they become a distraction.

Our vice principle at my HS had a HUGE hat rack from all the hats she confiscated through out the year.  We were not allowed to wear hats in school....if she saw you do it more than once she took the hat.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Take Action!
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2005, 11:23:35 AM »
That's a nice inside half-moon kick you have there in your avatar Culero.

Les