Author Topic: VE Day  (Read 427 times)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
VE Day
« on: May 08, 2005, 11:12:57 AM »
60 Years ago today the war in Europe came to a end.
Please give  a few minutes thoughts for thoese who didnt come back  to celibrate  and who gave their everything so we can be who and what we are today

rogerdee
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline EagleEyes

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/bassim
VE Day
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »
I often wounder what the world would be like if WWII never happened.  Duing those 6 years 1939-45, technology exploded.  We went from having bi-planes to jets!  I want to thank all the men and women who served in WWII.  They did something i don't believe any generation will do ever again.  Save the World!!  It makes me sad to know that every day WWII vets are dying.  I pray to God that we will never forget what happened during WWII or those who participated in it, wheather they were Allied or Axis!

<<>> To WWII Vets!!

Egle31st
Joedog31

GL IV./JG4 for Red Storm Krupp Steel
***The Flying Circus*** MA
334th FS "The Eagles" - FSO

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
VE Day
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »
60 years.
And we didn't learn a lot.
Anyway, give it a thought to honour those who were slain.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Vad

• Nickel Member
VE Day
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »
I am Russian. We lost 27 000 000 at that war. Having about 200 000 000 population in the USSR at that time it means that every seventh was killed. This is just numbers but personally it looks different. I have never saw my grandfather. Actually, he had never saw his daughter, my mother. She was born in 1942, he was KIA in 1943, in sieged Leningrad. My another grandfather lost his right hand in 1942. You will not find any family in Russia who didn't lose someone of their relatives.

Using this opportunity, on behalf of me, my family and all russian soldiers I would like to say thank you to all allies. To brave American and English sailors who provided north convoys. To French pilots of Normandy squad. To everybody who made this day.

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
VE Day
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 03:38:40 PM »
A huge >>S<< to all ally veterans alive and dead. Without those brave soldiers, sailors and airmen, my family could not have the life we take for granted today.

>S< Vad, my grandfathers brother was killed in a concentration camp in Europe. Many many losses and many broken hearts I think will never be forgotten.

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
VE Day
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 04:46:50 AM »

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
VE Day
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 05:56:19 AM »
they reshaped the world

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
VE Day
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:18 AM »
I'm sad to say that i lost my grandfather last month to a heart attack. He was in the  landing at guadalcanal, and new georgia with the marine corp. We are starting to lose these men in great numbers. I give a big salute to all the veterans of WWII, and to whoever said we havent learned anything in the last 60 years, this is prolly the wrong thread to state that .  

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
VE Day
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 01:08:08 PM »
We learned.
But too little.
Imagine that neo nazis are also parading to protest what they call "60 years of lies"

SOB's !
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
VE Day
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 03:26:34 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
We learned.
But too little.
Imagine that neo nazis are also parading to protest what they call "60 years of lies"

SOB's !

Good point .....  38

Offline ET

• Copper Member
VE Day
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 03:43:05 PM »
VE Day. I remember it.
The news must have hit NYC sometime after midnight. My mother woke her three kids up up and told us to look out the window onto Third Ave. The ave. was crowded with people yelling, cheering and waving flags.It sounded like every church was ringing its bells. She told us to get dressed and took us downstairs. We had to hold hands so we would nor get lost in the crowds. Cars were driving up and down blowing their horns.
Some how she got us a ride on a flat bed truck with wooden sides and the driver drove through the streets blowing heck out of his horn with people cheering and yelling on every street. I don't remember much more and I think I fell asleep somehow. But if she wanted to plant a historic moment in a kids mind, she surely did that. She died many years later at the age of 85. A war widow of 53 years since 1944.

Offline IK3

• Copper Member
VE Day
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »
...especially to those who bore the brunt...

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
VE Day
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 05:10:54 AM »
The sence of liberation.
Not from VE day, but it's a good description:
Beauvais France.
"The town had recently been liberated and we paid a visit to join the recidents in their celebrations Crowds were everywhere in the streets and squares waving French, American and British flags. Everywhere joy and merrymaking prevailed, brass bands played and people danced in the streets. Moving along was difficult because of all the people that wanted to hug and kiss us, and present us with wine and fruit. This was tangible evidence of how overjoyed the population was to be free of German oppression, and we were, in no uncertain terms, made to feel their appreciation for the part we played in the liberation."

Dancing in the skies, T.E.Jonsson's autobiography, p.196