Author Topic: ToD and skins.  (Read 596 times)

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
ToD and skins.
« on: May 10, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »
Since ToD will feature the 8th AF Im wondering how many 8th AF skins do we have atm?

Will you skinners focus on 8th AF skins for the jugs and ponies?

Will skins in ToD be restricted to the correct AF?

Tex

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:55:06 AM »
I'll be doing this pony b btw

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp
I'll be doing this pony b btw

Just show me a photo of a wartime 51B in that camo first please :)

Guessing that's someone's idea of a paint scheme.

And in fact it appears that he copied it off a website profile for an Allison engined Mustang I from 225 squadron who last flew the Mustang in July 43 prior to the intro of Merlin Mustangs :)

http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark223-225.htm#225

SO!  IF we get an Allison engined Mustang it works, but otherwise I don't think it flies on a Merlin 51B

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Razer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.fshangar.org
ToD and skins.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 03:33:21 PM »
I have an 8th AF book with tons of profiles.  I can handle the P-38s but don't have the time to put my heart in P-51s and P-47s.

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »
Sir can u scan some pics of 51s 47s send to skychimp_56th(at)yahoo(dot)com

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 04:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by SkyChimp
Sir can u scan some pics of 51s 47s send to skychimp_56th(at)yahoo(dot)com

Skychimp,

Why not do some 57th FG Jugs?  Those MTO boys get forgotten a lot.  Since you are connected to the AH 65th FS, and the real 65th FS was part of the 57th it would make some sense.

I have the 57th FG history that has lots of photos of their birds.  Also have copies of a logbook of a wartime 65th FS pilot that I got from his daughter who I worked with for a while.

Interesting stuff flying P40Fs and Jugs

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »
U send the info i'll make it

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 04:46:49 PM »
Aww but those planes bout to be remod :(

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 10:46:40 PM »
Actually, this is a very good topic you've brought up Tex.

Some of you might remember the 'Historic 190s Project' I've mentioned. It's nothing big, but just an attempt to try and lay out 190 skins that are well rounded between the WW2 time periods. In order to select skins that I'd do, I had to go over the Luftwaffe Orders of Battle between 43 and 45 to see which 190 JGs were placed where fighting whom.

It probably wouldn't be mandatory to use 8th AF skins for ToD USAAF planes, but it'd at least be recommended highly, I imagine.

So, when the P-51s and P-47s are redone to current 3D standards, I recommend that some of the 51/47 skinners should get together and research a bit on the schemes.

For instance, the P-51s served from 1944 to the war's end. A P-51B skin would be able to afford all 15 slots to whatever P-51B profiles can be found since it served a short time before being replaced to the P-51Ds. However, the P-51Ds served from the middle of '44 to the war's end - thus, it would be wise for the skinners to try and categorize and prioritize the candidates according to timeline.

Maybe 5 skins each devoted to each AFs, and then 1 of each AF skins devoted to 1 fighter group.. and etc etc..

In case of the P-47D more research would be required to cover the P-47s that served between 43 and 45.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 11:46:53 PM »
What I'd hope for with the 51B and D for example are skins that match time frames on occasion so you could fly a mixed group as was done right til the end of the war in some cases.  B/Cs and Ds in formation all in the same group and squadron colors would look very nice.  And if we get a Malcom hood on the B/C it would be even better :)

Same applies to Jugs as well

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
ToD and skins.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 02:57:24 AM »
Devoting 5 skins to each AF would not leave any room for RAF skins. Same with the Jugs. This would really be a big shame.

What I would like to see is that ToD uses its own skin sets and that there is a community project to create em.

*Most* of them will already be there and created but some could be created directly for ToD.

The project would research what AFs, FGs, JGs what ever where involved in the conflict and create a list of desired skins. The list would be populated from the current existing skins and the ones missing would be created for the ToD set.

This way each tour would have "correct" skins.

Say that we would have a BoB ToD then Id hate to see russian painted SpitVs and the other way around if we would have a eastern front ToD Id hate to see RAF painted SpitVs and US painted P40s.

Tex