Author Topic: Thank You! Roker007 and Blueduck  (Read 278 times)

Offline Alpha81

• Zinc Member
Thank You! Roker007 and Blueduck
« on: October 19, 2005, 07:46:49 PM »
Blt280 a squad member attempted to say thanks to these two in an earlier post, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn’t post a thank you.  
I’m a Chief Officer in a Fire Department in Washington State, near Seattle. I was tasked to travel to the great state of Louisiana to help mitigate the disaster that Katrina and Rita caused to those affected areas. While my role there is irrelevant, my story is tied to this.

Initially I was assigned to the Joint Field Office in Baton Rouge far removed from the carnage, I was working 12 to 14 hour days and sleeping in a tent city, the tents were large and first class, AC and all the amenities of home really.  I talked to Blueduck who lives in Baton Rouge, but our paths could not cross for a while yet due to work load and timing.  Three days later a co worker and myself were reassigned closer to the action sort-to-speak, in Lake Charles, and down in the Parishes of Calcasieu and Cameron.

Our quarters were to say the least much more primitive than the tent city in Baton Rouge. I called Roker007 who lives within 50 miles of where we were working and without a blink of an eye he invited us to his house to stay.  
  Understand now that this man and his lovely wife had never laid eyes on me or my co worker, still they opened their home to us.  We arrived and they had already made the arrangements to house us upstairs, we each had our own bedrooms and baths, air conditioning was on and fans cooled the bedding. First class people, my co worker and I owe him and her a great debt of thanks.

As we came close to our deployment end date we had to out process in Baton Rouge, we arrived the evening prior to date of departure. I contacted Blueduck to see if we could meet up for a drink and get to talk a bit prior to us leaving. He and his lovely wife immediately took us out to dinner at a nice restaurant, where they made sure I was able to eat some of the famous Cajun meals from the area.  It was an outstanding evening to end a very busy time in the state of Louisiana.

If you read this and cross paths with either Roker007 or Blueduck, fire off a salute, they well deserve it, they are two outstanding individuals…

Roker007
Blueduck

-Alpha81-
"it's a fire mister, and every fire is dangerous"

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 04:59:48 AM »
Both great guys!!  

Kiss my Havoc

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 05:46:11 AM »
Very Nice Story/Report to read with my Morning Coffee, Roker007/Blueduck,

thanks for sharing it with us Alpha81, and am sure everyone appreciates your voluntary gift of time & help as well!

need more good things like this to read on these boards!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 12:03:08 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
need more good things like this to read on these boards!

ditto!!  Wonderful post.  Was struck by a line written by Grantland Rice

For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks not that you won or lost but how you played the game.

It all comes out in the end.  It all matters.  And folks like the ones you wrote about remind me, again, how important selflessness is.

hap

Offline navajoboy

• Probation
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.uknightedstates.net
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hap
ditto!!  Wonderful post.  Was struck by a line written by Grantland Rice

For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name, He marks not that you won or lost but how you played the game.

It all comes out in the end.  It all matters.  And folks like the ones you wrote about remind me, again, how important selflessness is.

hap

Excellent story!!   to both ROKER007 and BLUEDUCK.
Stovpipe aka Navajo
Uknighted 357th FG - JG26
-+= Foreign Relations Minister =+-
http://www.uknightedstates.net

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »
Originally posted by navajoboy
Excellent story!!   to both ROKER007 and BLUEDUCK.

Ditto!