Author Topic: Firewall?  (Read 218 times)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Firewall?
« on: May 23, 2005, 03:13:41 AM »
Something I never quite understood. Is your PC vulnerable as long as it is connected even if no browser or game is loaded, or if on a "trusted "site like HTC?

I always assumed it was and keep an agressive firewall up at all times. However, I would turn it off while playing AH if I thought there was no risk of being attacked.

Offline Elyeh

• Nickel Member
Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 11:53:29 AM »
With connections like cable you are at risk even when your system is just on but with no browser open.

With dial up you have to be logged on

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Firewall?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 12:24:50 PM »
symantec security check

you have to use IE to run it ,as for firefox is to tight ...

I pass it with everything in stealth  without a firewall   .
  your pc is only in danger if they can find it or theres a backdoor/data logging type bug already hidding in it.
  a open browser thats not configed correctly can be a problem too .(IE is really bad these days ...  Firefox is still way safer)

(ignore the anti virous up to date part it even fails its own av program)
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Firewall?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »
Ok, thanks. I'll just leave it on just in case;)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Firewall?
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 03:15:02 PM »
It also depends on if you have a router in between your computer and the internet, and what your security settings are, what your level of control is, etc.  I personally dont run any software firewall or A/V while I'm logged into AH, but then I am reasonably certain I am safe without them due to my network setup.  If I'm accessing the internet via a browser, I have full software and A/V protection running as well as a port monitor on my router.  Again, thats just me.  You do what you feel you have to do to be safe.