Author Topic: Sad news :(  (Read 688 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Sad news :(
« on: March 12, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
 http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/03/12/military.kuwait.03/index.html

I'd say that the military is underaid and under-appreciated, considering the risks and sacrifices  .

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2001, 08:13:00 PM »
  <S>  May their children appreciate the sacrifice their fathers made to pay for their freedom. It can never replace the loss of their loved ones, but it is better to know they did not die in vain.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2001, 09:16:00 PM »
Just read NZ's PM's reaction to this, Christos, you'd think someone that high up in government would have a clue, The military is dangerous, hell, I've seen folks go home in bodybags from making a trip to the friggin PX.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2001, 07:07:00 AM »
Looks like they need smarter bombs.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
anyone else correlate the military accidents of late to the downgrading and degradation of the military, their budgets and their training over the past eight years?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2001, 09:33:00 AM »
No Eagler.  Its pretty rule-of-thumb in the military to use the "they come in three's" disaster policy.  I'm not really excited to see what the next will be.

With the Danish (?) fighter that straffed the tower... I've not noticed a tendancy in those regions towards military upsizing/downsizing and the general politics that larger nations go through.  They keep them tight, small and on strict budgets.  I even recall that some soldiers in Denmark almost received a courtmarshal for painting a Viggen red with a white cross because it was deemed excessive spending.

They were both unfortunate accidents.  I only wish the US plane would have missed low too

AKDejaVu

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2001, 01:34:00 PM »
Not a Danish fighter.

Our fighters fire only rubber bullets and money for the needy.

It's safer that way.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Sturm

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
I work on Langley AFB, this was a big fopah.  Where I work is where the decisions are made for Nuc ops.  Along with Search and Rescue and a few other odds and ends.  Having been out of the military for just over 9 months the pay was horrible.  I more then doubled my salary when I got out and live quite a nice life now.  What I saw was horrible under manned offices 60 hour work weeks, they gave you a raise on jan1 but hte commisary raised there prices .5% higher then your pay raise was.  The military is getting back doored IMO, it is hard for me to watch as a contractor getting more then double the pay of the military member.  Yet the gov is paying for these civilian jobs.  Go figure, yes I am a contractor but do I like what is goign on?  Nope, but I have to do it in order to get by.  Increase their pay or you will see the continuing trend for the 1 termers.  

SwampRat

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2001, 05:35:00 PM »
Another comment from and Active Duty guy.

Military pay is not that bad once you get to the E-5 / E-6 level.  Don't get me wrong, it could be better.  I can say I would easily double my salary were I to fill my exact same position as a civilian, and that's what stings.  Again, don't get me wrong.  I get up every day, put on my uniform and do the best job I can, but the civilian(s) in my shop aren't forced to move on average every 3 years, they aren't shipped off to some godforsaken desert once a year, they don't have to put up with some twit boss who can pass a test for rank but doesn't have the common sense to poor piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel, and they are seldom ALLOWED to work over 40 hours a week..let alone forced.  That is what chaps my ass, the govt is willing to pay these civilians to do my exact same job 40k or 50k a year and base it on "continuity".

It's true.  I live fairly comfortably at my current pay-grade.  I love the military life and I will continue to support and defend the Constitution at all costs. It's too late in the game for me to bail now, the light is at the end of the tunnel.  7 years from now I will retire fairly young, with a degree or two, supposedly have some ok retirement benefits, ALOT of experience around the world, and alot of good memories with a retirement paycheck that will (should) cover the cost of a modest home to boot!

Had I been a little smarter in my youth, elected not to believe the roadkill the recruiter's and advertisements spewed forth, had I had someone who had been there and told me about it...I'd have run screaming like a banshee out of the recruiter's office and straight back to college.  In a way it's too bad I grew to love the life before my fist hitch was up.

Selflessness, a sense of duty, and love of the life<<<definite prerequisites.

SwampRat

Sandman_SBM

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2001, 06:18:00 PM »
SwampRat, nice post... what branch of service are you in? MOS, Rate?

I did ten years in Navy... Early retirement (read quit) as an E-6. I'm now one of those civilian gov't employees. FWIW, once you reach GS-12 (or so) there's a cap on your overtime pay. I actually make less on overtime than I do on regular time. So, I don't do it.

I will add one thing WRT selflessness. I can't recall meeting a whole lot of people in the military that I would consider patriots. It seemed that for most it was a job. This observation is not meant as a slight towards those that truly consider themselves patriots... just my perception.

------------------
cheers,
sand
screamin blue messiahs

[This message has been edited by Sandman_SBM (edited 03-19-2001).]