Author Topic: P38, throttling inboard engine  (Read 438 times)

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
P38, throttling inboard engine
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:10:09 AM »
Some slightly more advanced '38 questions.

In a situation where you are flat turning, full flaps out, riding the edge of the stall, how effective might reducing power on the inboard engine (innermost to your turning circle) be in temporarily reducing your turn radius and allowing you to gain a few angles on your opponent?  Has anyone tested this in AH?

Edit - Another question:  In the same situation, riding the stall, for example in a left turn, I've always thought the way to maximize sustained turn rate was to bank left and pull as much up elevator as possible while using right rudder deflection to combat the tendency to roll left created by being near stall.  Since pedals have replaced my twisty I've been able to achieve much more precise rudder control and after some experimentation I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better instead to turn with as much left rudder deflection as possible while using elevator to keep the nose up and aileron to fight the roll.  I seem to be able to sustain flight at lower speeds this way.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 01:24:55 AM by Ecliptik »

Offline michnix

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.delahaye.de
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 05:19:21 AM »
I never tested this in a 38, but it works fine in a 110. :aok

I mapped that function to three buttons on my stick for my 110-setting. This makes it fast enough to select the engine, chop throttle by the second stick (i have a Saitek X45) and change back to both engines again.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 04:47:51 PM »
Ive throttled back the inboard engine both in offline testing and online in the past.  Ive not been impressed enough by the effects to make it common practice.

I see a situation like that as either I will gain position (eventually), or I will lose position (eventually).  IMO dialing back the inboard engine isnt enough to change the above situation one way or the other.  

As far as rudder in sustained turns, I am generally looking for stability, and just apply rudder according to feedback from the plane (it probably is mostly counter-rudder, but I do find myself dancing both ways sometimes).  The only time I really conciously counter-rudder is when I get right on the deck and I want the maxium bank angle without losing alt

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:16:19 PM »
I forgot to mention....Though I dont feather 1 engine in sustained turns, I do use it to enter turns when needed.  Sometimes when simultainiously turning hard while changing bank angles the outside wing wants to stall.  Dial back the inboard engine and it negates the yaw.  It only takes a second or 2 to settle into the turn, and Im back to full power.