Author Topic: Enemy at the Gate  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
not 111s... 88s.

If you read Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, you'll see that he discredits the 'true story' that the movie is based on.

Good - not great.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2001, 02:16:00 AM »
I just got back from seeing it.  I really liked it.  Good story, whether it is true or not, I'll leave that to the historians.  As for the love story part of it, it didn't detract from the movie for me.  I didn't like the end very much, I think it could have had a bit more of a duel aspect to it.  Like Kratzer said, good, but not great.  Overall though, I would recommend seeing it.

-math

and btw, Pearl Harbor looks to be something good.  Whether it is accurate, I will have to take a "wait and see" attitude with it.  It does look to be very entertaining, thats for sure.

------------------
"Any American fighter near Orote Penninsula.  I have forty Jap planes surrounded and need a little help."
-Ens. W.B. "Spider" Webb during the Marians Turkey Shoot

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2001, 02:55:00 AM »
I still don't get why a man who looked to have the patience of a hundred wolves comes out of his cache "so fast"... (I will not say more, the ones who saw the movie will understand...)

I realy had the feeling the last 15 Minutes were...(Baclees in french, errr....)"Quicly overdone"...

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2001, 03:46:00 AM »
whoever said 'good, not great' really sums it up.

nice battle screens and setting. the stuka scenes kicked bellybutton and the bombers were nice too.

too much of the story was ridiculous and unnecessary. slightly cracked a smile to at least see the russians finally get some credit for wwii -  rachael whatever is boring and not woody material by any stretch (pardon the pun). the love story thing really drags down an otherwise at least solidly mediocre plot.

the outcome was obvious from the get go but all in all the battle scenes save it and make it worth watching.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »

Originally posted by mrfish:
solidly mediocre

ROFL!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Hmm, will have to buy this movie, or even go to the cinema to watch it... Wonder if "pirates" will make a DivX CD, I don't have a VCR at home.

Interesting review:
 http://www.mosin-nagant.net/Enemy-Gates.html

Funny that they couln't get Soviet M91/30 rifles. In Western Caucasus I saw hunters use  Civil war times three-line rifles they dug from the ground after 70 years, and millions of them are still in stock.

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2001, 09:38:00 AM »
Saw it this weekend and well....It was OK.

Not great not bad but OK.

I really had to laugh every time the Russian sniper would speak in a British accent.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2001, 09:48:00 AM »
Saw it last night. I enjoyed it. I dont know about people calling it a love story. Its a sniper story. Notice they never mentioned that the germans were encircled?

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Actually Pongo, at that point in the battle in which the story takes place (fall of '42), the Germans were not encircled.

The encirclement didn't take place until late November, Operation Uranus was launched on Nov. 19th, and didn't close the kessel until 4 days later.  If I remember, most of the story takes place in October and early November...

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2001, 11:06:00 AM »
Flak/Mighty - it may shock you guys but the Russians don't speak with British accent. They speak Russian. As in not English with daft accent Hollywood normally passes for "Russian" . Germans don't speak with "German accent" either - ask them if you don't believe me . It's just one of the things that kills the authenticity of so many films - foreigners (as in "not native English speakers") conversing in English with some stupid accent or the other... Duh...

If the director of this movie has decided to disperse with the usual idiocy - kudos, really want to go and have a look now... But then again - they can never get the uniforms right either...  

Frosty1

Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2001, 02:54:00 PM »

Originally posted by Kratzer:
not 111s... 88s.

If you ask me they were clearly 111s. Even the one on the ground that had crashed was an He-111.

------------------
===>Frosty
====>Exposure2k.com
=====>Frosty@exposure2k.com

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by Frosty1:
If you ask me they were clearly 111s. Even the one on the ground that had crashed was an He-111.

someone is saying those were 88's? those were cleary he-111's - although if you watch them closely, they appear to be dropping what looks like 6 thousand pounders from external stores which seems inaccurate -

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
And, for your information, regarding your comment, it is hard to pull something even two large hands cannot really wrap around  

Glasses, LOL!

Yeah, did you ever try and wrap 2 hands around a cherry stem?  It just ain't gonna happen    

Udie

jato757

Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2001, 07:46:00 PM »
ju 88s, they all had 4 1,000lb bombs on bord, the crashed one was a he 111, and the movie was neat, i would have liked to see more dogfighting though, wait there was no dogfighting, that would have been cool still very cool movie. wird seeing ed harras as a bad guy for a change

------------------

[This message has been edited by jato757 (edited 03-19-2001).]

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
Enemy at the Gate
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2001, 11:28:00 PM »
I could see where either of us might be wrong - they are both low-wing, twin-engine, single tailplane bombers, but in my mind's eye, I remember 88s with the larger, rounder engine cowlings.

I do seem to remember the crashed aircraft they were crawling around in being an Heinkel though...  I'll either have to see the trailer or the movie again to make up my mind now on the others.