Author Topic: Feeding frenzy has begun  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Pup

• Zinc Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2001, 07:41:00 PM »
rgr AKD, I do fly AH too ty very much, so get on with your little life and try and start something with someone else no bite here....anyhow, what I was saying this is just the very first initial beta, this isn't even the version that IeN has, lots of the graphics are just place holders for the main release, they have left out a lot of stuff(their words) because this first release is just for "load testing" so give it a while..

Pup out

[This message has been edited by Pup (edited 03-14-2001).]

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2001, 08:25:00 PM »
<YAWN>

You can take an old ugly hooker off the street, bath her and give her a new dress.

Shes STILL going to be an old ugly hooker under the fresh wrapper.  

The HTC team did a fine job in developing WB... they surpassed it long ago with Aces High.

[This message has been edited by jihad (edited 03-14-2001).]

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2001, 09:36:00 PM »
I see the "i don't know WTF i'm talking about" crowd is still here.

Jihad especially.

BTW, "experts", WBIII DOES have a few 3D 'pits in this Beta release.

HTC has done a fine job with AH, but so has the Warbirds Team with WBIII.  And that's a fact, Jack.

Cabby

------------------
=44th FS "VAMPIRES"=
"The Jungle Air Force"
Welcome To The Jungle!!!"
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2001, 10:08:00 PM »
Only the diehard WB fans are going to enjoy this beta. Anyone who has never played WB will dump it so fast...

We'll just have to see how they work with it.

------------------
Lt. Col. Aaron "txace-" Giles of the 457th BG
    "Fait Accompli"
In arena: semperfi

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2001, 10:12:00 PM »

Originally posted by cabby:
I see the "i don't know WTF i'm talking about" crowd is still here.

Jihad especially.

BTW, "experts", WBIII DOES have a few 3D 'pits in this Beta release.

HTC has done a fine job with AH, but so has the Warbirds Team with WBIII.  And that's a fact, Jack.

Cabby

WTF are you talking about Cabby? I flew WB for years, I wasted the time to download WB3 today and tried it offline. <deleted the waste of time shortly after>

The facts are regardless of the new game engine/eye candy its still the same old game you've played for YEARS!

When/if the team at iEN comes up with something better than AH I'll give them their props, until then the analogy is right on.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2001, 12:21:00 AM »
I wonder what they've based the roll inertia data on.

The SE-2 Islander twin engined underpowered 1961 plane used by my skydiving club has less roll inertia than the Bf-109E.

Runs quite slowly on my lowly 707 mhz machine.

A work in progress, but apart from eye candy i cannot see any major changes in roll inertia. Seems sluggish to me.

One nice feature is German text in German aircraft and no damned ammo counters.

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

"Live to pull, pull to live"

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2001, 03:20:00 AM »
Quote:

"The facts are regardless of the new game engine/eye candy its still the same old game you've played for YEARS!"

Funny, that's what i think about AH.  Thanks for proving my point.

Cabby

Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Jihad, AH guys, you are all wrong. HS put it in words right here....

Quote HS:

3. Please do not compare WBIII to AH, sorry, no way to say this easy, but they really can't be compared. WBIII systems are far beyond what many of you see or understand.

Here's the link... http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw//Forum3/HTML/019014.html

Not trying to stir trouble, but I could see what would happen if HT or pyro got on the BBS and said something like this about WB's. Remember not too long ago, when WBIII screenshots could not be released because they were sooo advanced, the competiton might see them, they had to be kept secret?!

Geez!

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
I see the "i don't know WTF i'm talking about" crowd is still here

You do have to get a new tagline/greeting Crabby. That one is so pass' these days.

So what brings you across town to our neighborhood?  Thought you put away  the cape, mask and the "WB righteous net cop" outine?

As for WB III? It never should have seen the light of "open" beat in the shape it's in. It's the least ready and worset polished of any released beta I've ever tested. FA 2 included. There are reasons it must have. None of which are "load testing" (well, maybe to test the how much the community will accept thier roadkill "load"), "more player input" and it sure as all heck isn't "let's be nice to the WB's community and bring them in early."

Bulls-eye Hblair!  

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-15-2001).]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2001, 09:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by hblair:
Jihad, AH guys, you are all wrong. HS put it in words right here....

Quote HS:

3. Please do not compare WBIII to AH, sorry, no way to say this easy, but they really can't be compared. WBIII systems are far beyond what many of you see or understand.

Not trying to stir trouble, but I could see what would happen if HT or pyro got on the BBS and said something like this about WB's.[/B]

I am sure they ment that the graphics detail in their new engine was supposed to be adjustable, so a direct comparison of visual quality and frame rate would be pointless unless done on the same machine. HS does not have much tact, but I do not think he intentionally tried to offend his customers.

miko

Offline Yoda

• Zinc Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
Quote HS:

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
May the Force be with you.
Jedi Master

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by cabby:
Quote:

"The facts are regardless of the new game engine/eye candy its still the same old game you've played for YEARS!"

Funny, that's what i think about AH.  Thanks for proving my point.

Cabby

hehe cabby, how ya been dude?  Yes I realy hate the way AH modeled those same old clouds, same old mission editor, same old terrain editor, same old 8 player head to head, same old clouds, same old stars, same old 3d cockpit and improved head movement abilities, same old fuel management system with fuel tanks and diferent internal tanks, same old choices of diferent amunition load outs, same old tanks and ground vehicles, same old manable guns on the ships, same old PT boats, same old squad nose art, same old GREAT customer service, same old 2 week free trial, same old low cost, same old friendly collisions, same old squad, mission and wingman hilighting, same old automatic roger wilco integration ,same old playable frame rates at 1024x768 and same old huge 11 meg download, but wait WB3 is 70megs already?  

I'm kind of tired of your same old squeak'n, now please go away....

udie

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2001, 02:24:00 PM »
Udie, you forgot same old clouds.  

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
ok DAMNIT FOR THE 3RD TIME!!!!

same old clouds  

Udie

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
Feeding frenzy has begun
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
From what I can tell, having played it a bit more:

Graphics are modern, but need work.  Why do the planes look "squished"?  OTOH, if this issue is resolved WB3 will be top of the heap for graphics (at least until the next game comes out).  

Despiste the high sys requirements, the game runs excellent on my P3 500--actually it runs almost as fast as AH at the same resolution (only about 5 FPS less).  Overall, their graphics engine is well programmed, and not as much of a system hog as I had originally thought.  The game might actually run WELL on a min-req system.

Flight model is about the same as previous WB's.  On the plus side the planes are easy to handle....the downside is inertia is WAY too strong.  This will hopefully be altered.   (One plus side of the strong inertia is it might possibly reduce warps, as the game has more time to react to plane direction changes.  But it is definately not realistic.)

Gunnery model also seems the same, except no longer reliant on tracers.  I was perplexed that there is NO effect whatsoever when bullets strike water.  Indeed, water in general needs major work--it looks like water from QUAKE.  Still, with some work it could look great.

The ground is great.  Buildings look beautiful, and the land actually looks like land, even when up close--IMO a first for a flightsim.  Now if WB3 only adds real towns and houses, and changes it from an arena into a WORLD, they might have something wonderful happening.

Sky:   Kind of purple-ish.  The cluds look great and are clearly better than any others I've seen.  I don't particularily like their choice of sky color though (purple).

Cockpit:  Dunno, as I cannot get them to work right.  Head movement is restricted to what a real person can do (no rotating head syndrome), but seems to move too slow.  From inside the plane wings still have that "sqished" look on all visrange settings (55, 75, 90).  

As stated before, the interface is clearly in an early stage.   It is very poor for now, but that will surely change.  Clearly it's designed with MACs in mind.

Overall impression is it's nowhere near complete.  I don't understand why they would release it in this condition--it doesn't do their vision of it justice.  For people who have yet to download it, I advise waiting at least a few weeks.  

J_A_B