Author Topic: WBIII Beta is out!  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Compare the P-51B's from WBIII and AH, since they sport the same markings.

While the WB P-51B looks nice and all, the wing proportions are way off, something that is rather prevalent in most of the planes. The much higher use of polygons and the lighting effects are very good though, as is the dissolution of a texture into a bump map at low altitudes. There were alot of interesting little things that have pretty much been passover by Aces High, I'd assume mainly to keep system specs down. Things like rolling gear, cowl flaps, and certain aspects that help immersion some. Granted one tends to forget about that when trying to avoid a vulch.

AH still has some clipping issues that have been around forever, but it's not even worth comparing the cockpit art to WB. Aces High definately wins there, even when comparing to the early beta shots of AH.

I like the clouds in WBIII, they remind me of the cirrus clouds down here in Texas. When flying around in the WB clouds there transparency does tend to reflect what flying through a real cirrus cloud is like, much like what AH does with cumulus clouds. The transistion in AH is a little to cut and dryed, but it saves frame rates. The sun rises are pretty well done in WBIII, as the one in AH is. I still think the sunrise in AH has to much orange -- it should intially but the orange bleed over into the remainer of the sky seems a bit overdone.

Over all I like the lighting effects and overall feel eyecandy in WBIII, although other then that the game hasn't changed much from what I could tell. Kind of like AW2 3D on steroids, if anyone remembers that   The aluminum reflection was interesting, but it reflects more of a well polished airshow plane then an airforce work horse. But it's still some great lighting work.

WBIII is going to need to make some headway in interface, incockpit features, cockpit art, gunnery, other effects, flight model attributes, if nothing else, the graphics engine looks promising.

Far as gameplay goes I just haven't found anything that beats AH.

I ran in in 1600X1280X32 everything was very smooth overall, but lots of weird bugs in this beta version.

I run AH in the same resolution. I'd consider it's detail a mix between, say AH and CFSII cranked all the way up.

- Bess

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2001, 07:00:00 PM »
I don't know what the WB guys are complaining about in this thread.  The comments from the AH guys who have tried it, have been rather "gentle" I think.  That's because we realize it's only a beta.  If WBs was judged on it's own merits right now as it is, without the excuse of being a beta product, THEN you would really have something to be upset about.

bowser

[This message has been edited by bowser (edited 03-15-2001).]

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
"(In case you didn't notice, this thread was started by a WB cheerleader who felt the need to trumpet the beta release on OUR board. Go away.)"

Pot, this is Kettle...

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
 www.56thfightergroup.org
This is Yardstick, follow me"

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
So far: A graphics update, and nothing more.

Oh, wait - they have drop tanks now. And you can have custom skins on your aircraft.

The FM/DM etc. is still 2.77.

funked

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2001, 10:19:00 PM »
Daff that is roadkill.  I have never started a thread on AGW about AH.  I have never made a post announcing a new release.  But if somebody started a discussion about AH I have jumped in and expressed myself.

In any case I am not complaining about Joness' post.  Fjoder is the one I have an issue with.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 03-15-2001).]

Offline maik

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301.de
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2001, 01:26:00 AM »
Graphics:

Planes - look great
Terrain- just different textures
Clouds - nice, that's all
Sky    - purple

FM:

Worse than WB2.XX

Overall:

More Alpha than Beta  .

What to hell those guys are doin here???

Just my opinion.

Maik

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
No, you have have never started a thread about AH, but you have certainly commented sarcasticly/negativly about WB compared to AH on AGW

Daff

------------------
CO, 56th Fighter Group
 www.56thfightergroup.org
This is Yardstick, follow me"

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2001, 07:57:00 AM »

Originally posted by Daff:
No, you have have never started a thread about AH, but you have certainly commented sarcasticly/negativly about WB compared to AH on AGW  

Daff

Are we all 5 year olds in here or just plain idiots?

Sheesh guys, I hear better arguements from my 6 and 4 year olds.

If everyone hates each other this much then why lurk on each other's boards???  You'd think you wouldn't even want to hear or see them!  Step back and look how stupid this appears.

Fly the damn sims and have fun in each of 'em.  What is so hard about that?

Cobra

Offline Fjoder

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
What I tried to say was:

first of all, you are looking at a first beta release, very far away from a final release which unfortunally we wont see for the next 3 months. so I dont understand the ranting.
According to Interviews its just a BETA
features will be added, bugs will be removed.
FMs will be changed etc etc etc
When it comes to a final release, you can start ranting about features and bugs etc.
not now.

Funked: I've seen you bad mouthing WB in many posts. its ok, you are entitled to your opinion. What I tried to say was:

I was just stating, you should play your sim and I should play mine, and we should both enjoy our sims. not trashtalking the other sim. its so pointless, we should act in a mature way, not on a kindergartenlevel.

Enough already.

Peter

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
Juzz, its just a video update really, especially if you consider that only a very few aircraft have 3D cockpits, and most are using the old 2D ones.

The drop tanks are just place holders, and you can't actually use the fuel in them right now, according to a post by Hotseat.

I think its great that the WB's guys finally got their new version, and I hope things go well for them.  

I just hope that Hotseat starts to come thru with all his promises on "new features" like new planes and fixs for some of the age old bugs, or it could start some serious discontent.

Congrats WB's guys !  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

sky_bax

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2001, 09:37:00 AM »
Quote:

"Terrain- just different textures"

Its MUCH more than that.

DF: At the conference and in subsequently released screenshots and videos a Grand Canyon display terrain has been used. Terrain in WBIII is generated by a procedural level of detail rendering system calling upon altitude and positional data rather than fixed art files. What terrain is planned for the open Beta, and, more importantly, how easily are new locales created with future expansion in mind?

HS: The procedural generated terrain system has been scaled back. Apple was very late releasing OpenGL 1.2. Soon after we received the software, it became very clear that our system was going to overstress the Mac platform. We were forced to re-design the entire terrain system to place less demand on the processor. The new system, which was just recently completed, is still semi-procedural, however it relies on a limited tile system. Since we have only recently started to work with the new system, terrain tiles / textures will be limited in the Beta release. Even with the scaled back procedural system, terrains can still be built very quickly.

The Beta terrain will consist of southern England / Wales, northern France at a scale of 2 to 1. The terrain point resolution (the distance between terrain points) will be 100 meters. We can go as low as 25m, depending on platform, however I believe 100m will give every one of the testers quite a shock. The terrain for the first Beta took about a day to produce versus the weeks the current terrain requires. Even so, our artist are building new tiles, and we are all still trying to figure out what "looks right" since traditional terrain tiles don't look very good in the high definition system of WB III.

The important part of the WBIII terrain system is the data point resolution. Many of our Campaign Managers (CMs) want to make terrains that require very small islands to be displayed, which is just not possible in other flight sims. Many small islands around France are now very visible / useful in the WBIII Beta terrain. Let me also add, our terrain is not only precise above ground, but also below sea level, should the need arise.

The ocean floor & water are modeled.

If you fly low over coast line you can see the ocean floor in shallow waters.

Ctrl / O (I think) reduces the sea level and you can view the ocean floor.

This terrian is more than just some different textures and fixed art files like in WB2 & AH.

[This message has been edited by sky_bax (edited 03-16-2001).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2001, 09:41:00 AM »
Lets start talking about AH v2.0

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2001, 09:55:00 AM »

From SeaWulfe:
Very cool effect. I wasn't trying to come off as condescending or argumentative. I just didn't know which of those 3 answers I gave your question was
                  directed at, so I gave all 3 so I wouldn't have to post 2 more times until I got it right. :-)
                  -SW

Didn't take it like that at all!  Was a very informing and calm-natured post (unlike some others in here   ).  

All I was referring too with the "deep breath" crack was just imagining some poor bugger trying to say all that in one sentence!  

Missin' y'all in AH- I always loved to fight the AK's  

------------------
-Rebel

"You Rebel Scum"
"You rebel scum"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
 I honestly don't put much worth into what Hotseat says as I do in what I see from him and his team.
 Hotseast talks out of both sides of his arse. When you think he's clear as a bell he's as ambiguous as anyone possibly could be.

You do make a good chear leader Skybax.

-Westy

MrSiD

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
It seems that WBIII is heavily burdened by the Mac users.. They have to do a double job on everything and that IMHO is what will eventually drop them from the development speed of the competitors.