Author Topic: Do you believe in Democracy?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Do you believe in Democracy?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
Sorry typo! JOHNSON, hehe!

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »
banana, you stated:

IMHO, Al Gore is not Bill Clinton.

Well, Al Gore is not actually Bill Clinton, but he is close enough for government work:

Gore stated:
"Any government official who ... lies to the United States Congress will be fired immediately."
(Source: Seattle Times, June 29, 1987)

Gore must have been talking about the standards he'd apply to a Republican White House! After all, he referred to Clinton as "one of our greatest presidents" at the White House Post-Impeachment Pep Rally on December 19, 1998.

Enough said.

Gunthr
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2000, 01:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by banana:
Oh, and btw...

How far down the list was "Because it feels so good" in that oral sex report?  

Not sure, it was published in USA today.  Either way, very disturbing indeed.  Unless your single without kids, then it may be appealing.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2000, 01:44:00 PM »

banana: have two grandfathers, both of whom are/were liberal democrats, and they both fought for this
                   country in WWII. One of them died in battle, one of them survived. The way you guys act, you make it
                   sound like the only people that care for this country or have made sacrifices for it are Republicans.

So, do you believe in Democracy or not?

I believe  in a 2 party system, or multiple, however, your grandfathers democrats today would get the Republican vote.  The Democratic party has changed since their time.  My father-in-law, and Grandmother both used to be stout Democrats, since the 1960 election, they've both voted Republican.

Either way, I always look at the issues first, I have voted for *some* democrats in this state in the last 20 years, because their issues were what was important to me, not whether they rode a donkey or a elephant.

Lately, its been the Pubs that closer relate to issues that concern me.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 11-29-2000).]

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2000, 02:17:00 PM »
Erhm... You people are aware that Clinton isn't the first President to lie, aren't you? Not by a long shot. In fact, he is only the latest in a long and proud tradition of political liars. Why does this seem to come as such a shock to you? Can you possibly be that naive?

We hold Nixon up as an example... but relatively speaking, his undoing was merely that he got *caught*. Clinton, Gore, Bush Jr., Bush Sr., Reagan, ....er Carter's failure was either that he was incapable of it, or that he was just plain lousy at it.

But you get my point. Politicians lie, and if you haven't resigned yourself to that fact you had better cease to observe politics or you'll wind up with one inferno of an ulcer.

The essence of *governance* does not require truth at all times, and in fact sometimes quite the contrary. It is only *politics* that makes this demand. Again, either you are feigning shock, or you've been living in a bubble.

Yet we foist this incredible heap of blame solely on Clinton. Have we all been hit with a serious epidemic of collective amnesia?

And the hypocrisy. Somehow we've found a way to give Bush Jr. some kind of credit for hiding his DUI charge, as he felt it would be a (yegads!) bad influence on his daughter. Yet we want the President of the United Sates to stand before a nation of daughters on live television and recount the intimate details of a hummer.

Cripes.

Eight years of investigation, litigation, unprecedented scrutiny, millions upon millions of squandered dollars later.... and all these guys could come up with was a blow job? Damn straight - I woulda told em to mind their own f*cking business. It's a *blow job* fer chrissakes!  I would strongly suggest, if you haven't already, to  be on the recieving end of one of these from time to time. You may actually learn to enjoy it. You might even loosen up. And you may also discover that it certainly is NOT a threat to national security.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Republicans have been absolutely sucking tit in the politics game, lately. Odd, because it seems not so long ago that I had em pegged as the masters.

Cheers  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2000, 02:43:00 PM »
No-spin zone here, Nash.

Clinton will point that finger in your face and tell you what is an obvious lie. Even when caught, he will continue to lie. There is a world of difference between Clinton and other presidents.

He has no shame.

I have always asked myself this question: If Clinton is capable of lying right to our faces, blatantly, what other things has he lied about that we don't know about? You think there is no connection between Chinese campaign contributions and the thefts at Los Alamos? Now who is being naive?

It's not just a blowjob to me, Nash. It never was. I am not cynical enough to believe that I should accept open, bold-faced lying. In this life, you only receive the respect you demand. Clinton has been a slap in the face to all Americans of any intelligence- he must believe we are either so morally corrupt we don't mind his ethics, or that we are too stupid to know when someone lies to us.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2000, 02:53:00 PM »
Nice spin Kieren  

Here's a tip fer ya.... it's *all* spin.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
Yep, most politicians lie, no doubt about it. Only thing is, I can't seem to recall any President other than Clinton that perjured himself. Can you?

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 11-29-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
Nash, there's a big difference between lying to the people, and lying UNDER OATH to a judge, the latter being you'll do anything to circumvent the law.  Alot of ex-presidents have so-called 'lied' to the people, this one lied while under the oath, in a court room.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2000, 03:09:00 PM »
Ronald Reagan, Iran Contra, "I don't recall".

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2000, 03:11:00 PM »
and really....we're splitting hairs at this point, aren't we?

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2000, 03:13:00 PM »
"Under Oath"

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
...and no, not splitting hairs at all. I give most the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. When ya gotta pay a fine for lyin', guess that proves somethin', least to me anyway.

BTW, make sure yas understand Hillbonics, I regress when I type fast  

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2000, 03:17:00 PM »
Reagan had the intent of "Whats good for the country", in his mind, whether it was or not is for the individual to decide, however Clinton had his CROTCH in mind, while spending my money doing it.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2000, 03:17:00 PM »
....yes, under oath.

I'll remind you the the very job of Presidency requires you to take an oath.

Splitting hairs.