Author Topic: Anyone not tried WB3 beta?  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
Anyone not tried WB3 beta?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
I've typed this before people, "We, AH customers, need WBIII to be sucessful:  We need them to be extremely sucessful!!"

I wish WBIII all the luck in the world. The only thing I was to HTC was a paying customer.  I paid for a service and HTC provided it.  If someone provides a better service for the same or less money, I will pay that person for on-line flight simulation services. (AH community is pretty cool though) It just business, nothing more, nothing less.

Cool  
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2001, 10:15:00 PM »
 HS recently made a post on AGW that said that the only thing that comes close to WB3 is IL2. Well, I've seen screens of both. WB3 planes look like children's drawings next to IL2 screens.

Now, either he is blind. Or, he thinks we are. I expect a little arrogance from someone that is good. But im dammed is I see anything in WB3 to be arrogant about.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2001, 10:59:00 PM »
 Nope, havent tried it and dont plan to. There are a couple other sims up and comming that have my attention, plus im very happy here.  Not to mention I dont have an account there and am not about to open one just so I can beta test their new toy,

Besides, I will never give IEN another red cent of my money anyway, so there is little point in me even downloading it.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »
Between Littman and Coldsnot (err Hotseat) I have no reason to give it a shot. Problems with them are well known, and their customer service dept. I've seen screen shots of WB 3, IL-2, WW2OL, and to be honest WB 3 looks more like Quake 2 with the lightmap feature active! If you've never seen it, picture that B-24 in the shot Rip posted. No texture, just light. Same sh^t, different day. As I read on the IEN boards well over a year ago "WB 3 will basically be 2.7x with new graphics at the beginning". If you compare the two sims there's nothing to it really. Aside from plane numbers AH has WBs beat. Scenarios are rapidly catching up so that's out, and in Hostile Shores the USAF is involved! I love that.

Honestly now, AH beta shots look better than WB3 shots. WB3 terrain and aircraft look a little smudged to me. Hotseat is doing the same thing he's done for years; run his mouth. I'd rather pay HTC $120 a month to fly here than pay $1 to fly there. I have never seen such a blantant lack of support from any company. Here we've got a full-time bug board; that alone tells me HTC cares. Yeah it gets redundant fast treating each bug like a serious hack. But it works, and the bugs get fixed so fast it's almost unreal.

HTC is spoiling us, really. But maybe, just maybe, other companies will notice and change their ways. Can you imagine some place like WW2OL with the same feedback and support we get here? THAT would be great! But where ever there's a great place like HTC, there's about 500 horridly run businesses. I won't try WB3 because the company that spawned it disgusts me. I won't try WW2OL because I can't run it yet. Once I can, believe me I will.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta 6's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

TheWobble

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2001, 04:17:00 AM »
I REALLY like the terrain..THATS IT, FM seems to be constructed of some form of ass.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2001, 08:52:00 AM »
They ain't kidding about there being "anomalies" with Voodoo 5s...man, now I know I don't need to try LSD, just play WB III...propellers are rotating rectangles, the ground looks like a shimmering rainbow-colored oil-slick, etc.

I bet they never fix it and just tell everyone to buy GeForces like they should have in the first place.

And I haven't sat down and actually counted, but isn't AH ALREADY ahead of WBIII in numbers of aircraft, or very close to passing them.

Of course, as it turns out WBIII IS going to rely on players for artwork AND plane models. This should be entertaining.

Offline Ram1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
Torgo:

In WB3, we can develop our own skins for the planes. So for example we can fly in the correct squad colors for the group we are representing. This is a good thing. I also assume if a player submits authentic artwork for a particular plane and IEN likes it they could use it in their library. Again, this is a good thing and allows freedom of choice.

On plane models, your statement is wrong, players cannot modify the planes Flight Model. There are no plans that I am aware of and I doubt this would be supported by the community.

Also you all need to remember this is the first beta release and they have not added all the features in yet. So let's wait and see what the final product looks like.

Ram1

Trogo wrote:
Of course, as it turns out WBIII IS going to rely on players for artwork AND plane models. This should be entertaining. [/B][/QUOTE]

[This message has been edited by Ram1 (edited 03-17-2001).]

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ram1:
On plane models, your statement is wrong, players cannot modify the planes Flight Model. There are no plans that I am aware of and I doubt this would be supported by the community.

Looks more like you misunderstood what Torgo was saying. He was referring to the 3D models, not the flight/physics model. He would of said Flight Model if he meant that, when someone refers to plane models, they are referring to an object created using a series of polygonal faces. :-)
-SW

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
No, I meant Flight Models.

I believe I read a post on AGW where Hotseat more or less said exactly that.

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2001, 06:31:00 PM »
The Player Development Corps™ as described by iEN literature seeks to involve players in created artwork and flight models, as well as  doing research.  That doesn't mean it'll be completely uncontrolled.

As for who has more planes: WB has something like 63 or 64. I count 36 in AH, 4 ground vehicles, and one boat (see my numbers for AC at the bottom -- I probably missed some).  But WB (2.X) counts subvariants as different aircraft; so the 109G6 for example is a different plane than the 109G6/R6.  If you follow that counting scheme, AH has more LW planes than WB has planes total.  WB3 appears to be a more flexible platform: you can load a cannon pod onto the 110; but currently AH has more planes modelled than available in WB3.

RAF: 6
VVS: 4
LW: 10 (rather 9 LW and one FAF)
RA: 2
USAAF: 8 (rather 7 USAAf, and one Brazilian)
USN: 4
IJN: 2

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2001, 03:38:00 AM »
I'm afraid HS is one of the main reasons I no longer fly WB.  I'm not asking for a 'caring, sensitive new-age guy' type developer, but I have a real problem when he constantly belittles just about everyone else in the flight-game industry.

Anyone read his post about how proud he was that WBIII was not a 'BS factory' - and directly implying that it had been so in the past?

Now whether that dig was directed at Dale and Pyro, or whether it was directed at the current WW2OL crew, is debatable.  But I've seen him cast too many insults towards both AH and WW2OL for me to have a high opinion of his character.

Remember his arguably defamatory remarks about Argo and AGW? ... that they 'promoted' Freehost?  The guy's standing on the shoulders of giants (those who initially developed Warbirds), and crowing that he's got a slightly better view than anyone else  

By the way Ripsnort, I couldnt let THIS comment go by  

I shall stay with the sims that give their customers, and potential customers the respect that their dollars deserve.

So, who ARE the anonymous arena monitors who can mute you for 10 minutes at a time?  Do you regard THAT as 'the respect that their dollars deserve'?  

Only ONE contender in the flight market currently treats its customers like adults IMHO .... and it ain't IEN.

Then again, it ain't HTC either  

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2001, 10:37:00 AM »
One of my squadmates from WB writes for SimHQ. He posted the problems with the VooDoo 5 and the beta/alpha form of the game. He said he then got a letter from HS (or some iEN rep) telling him to knock it off, and not to critisize their product.

iEN strikes again with their "We're the best and you can't do anything about it" crap.

I don't need WB cheerleaders anywhere. I sometimes get angry on the AGW because some of the people just think WBIII beta is the best out there and that AH pales in comparison.

------------------
Semper Fi, Do or Die! Kill, kill, kill!!!

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2001, 10:47:00 AM »

One of my squadmates from WB writes for SimHQ. He posted the problems with the VooDoo 5 and the beta/alpha form of the game. He said he then got a letter from HS (or some iEN rep) telling him to knock it off, and not to critisize their product.

ROFLMAO !
Too bad its against good manners to post a personal mail in UBB, It would be fun to see that mail  

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 03-20-2001).]

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
A Kangaroo ate your baby?..........

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
New update just released, VOODOO 5 covered apparently.