Author Topic: Bats blood and chicken feathers???  (Read 434 times)

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
Bats blood and chicken feathers???
« on: June 05, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
I have too often been on the tail of a bogey, and he climbs, we are around 200 mph, and he just flips over and trys to give me a face full of cannons.

This is not a yo yo. How do they do it?    I can't seem to flip my plane over like that.  

Do they turn off combat trim?  Use the K key to maximize trim?  Chop or turn off throttle?  Burn bats blood and chicken feathers?  :confused:

I am sure it is not a hack.

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 03:26:12 PM »
its called a hammerhead, and its pretty easy to do

point your nose up, and on the verge of the stall apply full rudder to one of the sides. and when the plane start to tilt to the side, push the stick forward.

fairly simple :)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 04:26:44 PM »
It's also not that different from a HO attack, which everybody hates. Good manouvre though.

If the follower is too close though he will fill you full of lead while you're trying to turn round. You need lots of speed.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 07:06:57 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
its called a hammerhead, and its pretty easy to do

point your nose up, and on the verge of the stall apply full rudder to one of the sides. and when the plane start to tilt to the side, push the stick forward.

fairly simple :)

Ah!  I always thought the Hammerhead was accomplished with rudder only.  That is why I  am not flipping over, I don't push the stick forward.

You may have just created a monster :)

As for it being a HO, I am not sure that it would qualify per se.  It is a nasty maneuver, and I watch for it.  I am almost always successful in avoiding the attack on the reversal as I watch to make sure I am not so slow that I cannot maneuver out of the way.  But I have always thought that if I could duplicate the maneuver, I would be able to quickly  reverse after he does and then press the attack again from his six.

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 09:28:13 PM »
One word of caution. Make sure you have a pretty good idea of your opponents E (energy) before you  do this. (its called a "rope" by the way).

The last thing you want to do is take him vertical and have less energy than him at the top.

La's, N1K's, most 109's, KI84's and P38's (watch the P38) can all almost hang on their props. They have the ability to follow less energy efficient and lower powered aircraft in a zoom or vertical climb.

In short,  it can be a pretty effective way to fight, but you need to know the capabilities and energy of the "ropee".

Cheers, and hope this helps a bit.

RTR
The Damned

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 11:22:33 PM »
I frequently do stall loops to take advantage of the 38s ability to go nose up at low speeds. If a 38 can get its nose over the top before hitting stall speed it will just flip over and complete the rest of the loop almost instantly (directly over, unlike hammerheads which reverse your direction of flight). I can actually control the stall a little to get the shot even if your not right under me. I don't recommend this as part of a traditional rope, but it's a great move to top off a long slow speed climb fight.

-p.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 12:11:09 AM »
I think Pellik is describing what I am talking about.  I have seen PonyD's do it very well.

As for getting "roped", it rarely happens to me as I will not push a vertical fight unless I have a pretty good e advantage.  I attack from a position of energy advantage.  If I don't have E, then I break off. :)

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:06:42 AM »
The 38 and other multiengined aircraft with counter rotating props can also use differential throttle control to carry out very fast, very controlled hammerheads at or close to 0 mph, where you'd otherwise just be floating helplessly for a bit before regaining any kind of control surface authority.  This is only ever useful if the enemy has a little more E than you expected and you're forced to hang onto your props for dear life.  No rudder authority?  No problem!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 11:23:15 AM »
You can also do it without differential throttles

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song