Author Topic: Maybe yabks aren't that dumb after all  (Read 2629 times)

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Maybe yabks aren't that dumb after all
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2000, 09:04:00 AM »
The "Matrix" follows the standard hero motif seen in myths handed down throughout the ages: that of the hero namely "YOU" overcoming the many layers of societal programming to obtain the ultimate goal of realizing your true self.

I took this film to be a metaphor for the current state of western culture: that of media-fed cattle. In the case of the "Matrix" the population is quite literally "media-fed".

I enjoyed the many "Eastern" references made in the film though I could be reading more into this film than was intended.  

If you like this kind of sci-fi I recommend "The 13th Floor" which came out last year.

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2000, 09:19:00 AM »
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the Matrix and have seen it numerous times. If nothing else it should make you think somewhat about our state of affairs.

13th Floor was another good movie for those who like the sci-fi type  

Bane

(Looking forward to the Dungeons & Dragons movie as well as the Lord of the Rings movie being made.)    

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2000, 09:44:00 AM »
nothing compares to a good 'alcapulco heat' episode in my opinion.

heady stuff...

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
Being John Malkovich is the most screwed up movie I've seen in a long time  

I took this film to be a metaphor for the current state of western culture: that of media-fed cattle. In the case of the "Matrix" the population is quite literally "media-fed"
I took this film as the Capricorn One scenario taken to it's absolute limit and just enjoyed the effects and the babe . Us, simple folk, we do that sometimes

Dowding - ha. ha. ha.

[This message has been edited by -lynx- (edited 12-07-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2000, 10:20:00 AM »
Wife: "Dave.. the first 5 minutes of The Matrix is on"
Me: <-Runs into living room

My favorite part was the opening scene.  The girl made the movie.  The combination of special efects and a semi decent dialog made it possible to overcome the thesbian shortcomings of the lead.  I liked it.

Sure the scene in the lobby was a bit overdone, but the very opening of it when neo first opened his coat was hilarious.

And.. tell me that Mr. Smith was not one of the more interesting characters you've seen.  He stole virtually every scene he was in.

One downside to the film was noted above.  "Neo" and "Morpheus" are names I'd rather not see again in my on-line gaming life.  Another is the introduction to the super-slow-mo hanging in the air multiple kick shot.  I loved it when I saw it in the Matrix, because they actually justified the actions with some explanation.  When I see it in a movie like "Charlies Angels" I can't help but think how canned 99% of all movies are these days.  Ah... but Lucy Liu

AKDejaVu

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2000, 11:44:00 AM »
I actualy met Poeple from Kansas who named their son "NOE"...  

53 61 69 6E 74 61 77 0D 0A
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2000, 01:12:00 PM »
Lynx, I bet you watched Capricorn One 20 years ago in a Soviet cinema   I had a chance to see it a year ago - funny feeling...

Matrix is good, but looks like a Philip K. Dick abridged for high school   I was stunned when I gave "Ubik" and other PKD books to a very religious woman. She found so many Christian things there - I had to admit that she was right and I just didn't look at PKD from that point of view...

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

funked

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2000, 02:19:00 PM »
"Matrix is good, but looks like a Philip K. Dick abridged for high school."

ROFL you said that way better than I could!!!

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
Matrix like any US Hollywood movie pollutes your mind with drivel!! Much like what RAM does to this BB..

This is what us Canadians watch.
 http://www.pot-tv.com/

Now get your priorities strait, spark a fatty (sorry Fatty) and thank god your living in a free country.

dog out...

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2000, 06:54:00 PM »
Yeah, SOB, but Dr Who is actually good.  (speaking of BBCAmerica, I wish they'd start showing the Young Ones, now there is a good show).

If you want to see true artistry, you'll have to attend the First Annual Funked and Fatty Sergio Leone Film Festival(tm).

Offline Chewbacca

• Zinc Member
      • http://chewbacca.freeservers.com
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2000, 07:26:00 PM »
Yeah baby!!!
We'll show Shichinin No Samurai (Seven Samurai) too!!!

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2000, 02:41:00 AM »

Lynx, I bet you watched Capricorn One 20 years ago in a Soviet cinema  (Image removed from quote.)
Yep   DK "Akademia", Novosibirsk, Akademgorodok . I was in my first year at university - Jesus, it was 20 years ago ...

Philip K who? Having been spoiled rotten by CJ Cherryh I find it difficult now to get passed first few pages of most SF books. Most just do not respect the intelligence of a reader...

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2000, 02:47:00 AM »
I tell ya, you all are too old! thats what it is!

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2000, 05:21:00 AM »
Young Ones wasn't that good. It was a comedy/sitcom with a monty-python-lite sense of humour  

The Matrix was great, but was based on a comic. Little more needs to be said on how much you should read into it.  

I gotta say I prefer sci-fi that doesn't just use technology as a justification for big guns and action. Give me Blade Runner or Silent Running over the Universal Soldier generation of movies anyday.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2000, 07:25:00 AM »

Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Yeah baby!!!
We'll show Shichinin No Samurai (Seven Samurai) too!!!

nabbed