Author Topic: Fire on rough ditches  (Read 255 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Fire on rough ditches
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
The new fire graphics are just outstanding.    It really adds alot to the game to see a B24 taking hits and then an engine or wing fuel tank sprouts a long trailer of flame and smoke, but continues to fly for a while.

Many times when I see planes handled a little to wildly down low, (my piloting included) they end up clipping a tree and skidding along the ground - usually both wings break off and it'll just be a fuselage sitting there until the pilot exits.  

I'd like to see the new fire graphic used in rough ditches when the plane hits the ground and breaks off major assemblies.  

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 03:41:36 PM »
Well *I'd* like to see the fire graphics toned down, period. I'm cruising along getting 45 fps nice and steady, some B24 literally 4k out sprouts a flame and I'm getting 11fps. The SECOND that bomber explodes I get 45fps again. Doesn't matter WHERE, doesn't matter WHAT RANGE, but the fire kills fps for me.

For bad ditches I think it's a good idea, but how would you code it? What circumstances? Sometimes a high speed crash is relatively gentle (i.e. a high-speed ditch on the water)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 07:02:23 AM »
I think if you have the ac conditions of speed = X and altitude = ground then you can start a fire. Its then upto the pilot to get out before his plane explodes as per normal.

I wonder if the alt recorded is different for wheels up or wheels down landings.

Whilst a very good graphic representation of flame the field fires are too tall IMO and too bunsun burner like. Maintain the present width and reduce height to a third of present IMO.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 11:10:12 AM »
Well that won't work. The fire has to burn faster than normal. I know some zeros that burn for minutes on end. When it takes 20 seconds maximum to slow down and exit the plane, the fire should be about 15 seconds before detonation, I'd suggest.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 03:31:03 PM »
I think if you hit the ground hard enough that you break a wing off or tail section of the fuselage, that should trigger a fuselage tank fire.   (I specified fuselage tank so the fire stays with the main piece of aircraft).    I don't think the coding would need to be any more complicated than that.

I agree about the base fires.    From a distance, seeing refinery that has been hit, it looks like a gas grill.    Really you be seeing the pall of smoke from a distance before you see the fires.   (Except at night, when you see the smoke illuminated by the flames I think).

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 04:52:22 PM »
Id like the chance to PUT an engine fire OUT on a buff.  If engine # is on fire, power it down, nose down...pull extinguishers...anything to try to salvage the aircraft.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Fire on rough ditches
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 04:33:06 PM »
It'd be an easy one to figure out, same ratio as this:

"Fat Girl  plus courderoy pants  mutiplied by the pace of walk divided by  miles walked equals  probability of fire"