Author Topic: AH2 film of rolling scissors?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
AH2 film of rolling scissors?
« on: June 11, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »
Trying to cement the concept of rollings scissors after a training session.

Would REALLY appreciate seeing a film that shows both well done rolling scissors, and demonstrates its utility -- so I can see WHY the technique works well and HOW to use it right.

Thought I had one from old efforts at building a library, but turns out its an AH1 film -- and my copy of AH1 got lost in a reformat months ago.

Thanks for your help!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 03:36:12 PM »
I don't  have the time to search for it in depth, but somewhere on the general discussion form Morpheus posted a long rolling scissors fight between himself and Wadke in F6Fs. I'd recommend trying to find that link.

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »
I'd really be interested in seeing that myself. I'm having trouble visualizing the concept :confused:
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 08:16:49 PM »
The "concept" is really pretty simple....its the execution thats a "pisser"....

Basically a scissors is a fight thats all about slowing down. It's usually initiated by a plane with superior roll and inferior turn to the plane chasing it....by using the superior roll the 1st plane attempts to force an overshoot....the "rolling" scissors occurs one of two ways...the pursuer initiates a lag roll, hi yoyo or similar counter and as he comes back down the 1st plane responds with its own out of plane manuever...the second is the 1st plane uses a vertical rolling counter to deny a shot...so the "scissors" fight is "flat"...and the "rolling scissors" has a strong vertical element which makes walking the "sweet spot" between stall and minimum vertical manuvering speed the deciding factor....

One thing to remember is that the second plane has to "accept" the scissors....its amazing how often you see a guy scissoring by himself :)

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:53:52 PM »
Hey Sim I just did a search for the Wadke Morph film. Not 100% sure if its the one with the scissors or not, but if nothing else it should be really good in general. In search just type: T3h F6f!. Should take you right to it.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 04:30:41 PM »
Thaks a million, guys....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 03:40:40 AM »
I think I took that film off my server. The link will most likely be dead.

I can upload it again if you wish to watch it.

Was a very good fight.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 06:20:58 AM »

or maybe its this:
:)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:28:44 PM »
:aok :rofl :lol

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 02:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by humble
The "concept" is really pretty simple....its the execution thats a "pisser"....

Basically a scissors is a fight thats all about slowing down. It's usually initiated by a plane with superior roll and inferior turn to the plane chasing it....by using the superior roll the 1st plane attempts to force an overshoot....the "rolling" scissors occurs one of two ways...the pursuer initiates a lag roll, hi yoyo or similar counter and as he comes back down the 1st plane responds with its own out of plane manuever...the second is the 1st plane uses a vertical rolling counter to deny a shot...so the "scissors" fight is "flat"...and the "rolling scissors" has a strong vertical element which makes walking the "sweet spot" between stall and minimum vertical manuvering speed the deciding factor....

One thing to remember is that the second plane has to "accept" the scissors....its amazing how often you see a guy scissoring by himself :)

When I do a rolling scissors and the other guy doesn't bite I call it a reversal ;)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 05:00:48 PM »
hehe:)....

But you'd be amazed how often you see a guy wildly whipping back and forth in front of you :)...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 06:53:37 PM »
Hi Simaril!

What you are looking for is in this film(and a little more :) )
The film is a homage to two great planes, Spit IX and 190 D-9, and to a great AH pilot, Pellik.

I was defending a field, furballing at sea level,  and checking my 6 for cons at that level. Then, suddenly, BLAM, "Pellik shot you down"...
I got pissed(at myself) because when someone downs me, I think it's my fault for letting the guy do it.
I up another Spit IX and go looking for D9 zooming on unaware furlballers. I pass an incoming A5 and ignore it, there is the D9, doing the same act on a low friendly!

I dive after him, giving PTVIPE, Tillie and Gembe 6 calls. He sees me on his 6 and keeps accelerating. Doing 400+ MPH, at D600, I fire a short MG burst to ping him and try to make him turn... I see hit sprites but he's no fool... He just keeps accelerating the Dora... I fire another long busrt with MG and cannons this time, bobbing the nose up and down, who knows? Maybe I hit him... Nothing... The Dora now is way beyond shooting range.
I do an Immelman and hat to base, climbing. He extends climbing also... We merge again...
From that first D600 ping to the end of that "Close Encounter" we have about 9 minutes of dirty tricks...
  :D
In the end, I'd like to salute him on channel 200, but I once saluted him on 200, after one of the many times he downed me, but, unfortunately he didn't bother to answer...
We might exchange some experiences or points of view...
Nevertheless, here goes another <> Pellik. Maybe this time he's not so busy scissoring around in his D9 and answers... :aok

Please right click on link below and choose "Save as" to download zipped AH film
Spit IX vs D9
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 06:38:56 AM by MutleyBR »
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 01:43:03 AM »
Bad link.

I ignore 200 routinely, sorry if you thought I was ignoring you personally.

The Dora just isn't my plane, effective use of it requires some rather cheap tricks. I expect em when I fight the Dora, and despite feeling cheap I use em when I fly the dora. But maybe I'm covering my bellybutton a little too early, as I havn't seen the film.

-p.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 07:35:25 AM »
Hi Pellik.

Being the clown I am, sometimes I use misleading words...:D
By "dirty tricks"I meant just some exceptionally well done manouevering.
It was, and I'm sure it will remain for quite some time, the best fight I had on Aces High.
No you're not cheap, you do stuff with that 190 that people would believe to be impossible.
 :aok
I bet you've been called a cheater many times by whinners... :D
I took another approach to post the film.
Please retry it now.
Just click on link below and you'll be redirected to film.
<>

Please click here to be taken to film download.
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."