Author Topic: Question to history lovers  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Question to history lovers
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2001, 07:33:00 PM »
what if the romans had not fallen to the visigoths?

Oooh.. me like toga!

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2001, 07:33:00 PM »
Greek democracy ain't anything to write Homer about. ( )

And neither are any of the other popular examples of anchient democracys

No, but they were generally kinky, perverted societies, and that's gotta count for something.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Raubvogel ]

Offline Durr

• Copper Member
      • http://us.geocities.com/ghostrider305
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
I think some of the original premises put forth in the first post of this thread are somewhat off although very interesting to contemplate.  For example, the idea that we would have had no civil war here and that slavery would have died out on its own much earlier.  What makes you think that the South would have accepted the British law forbidding slavery any more than they accepted the US attempts to do away with same.  There could easily have been a very bloody civil war at a similar time, except instead of blue and gray it could have been red and gray.  (I also reject the notion that we are the only one of the former British colonies that have racial problems by the way. Australia has had plenty of racism problems as well) Also, what makes you think that more native americans would have survived?  Plenty of native americans were killed before the US became independent and likely many more would have died fighting settlers and civilization no matter whether it was a British government or a US government in charge.  The really big notion that I dispute is that WW1 could have been avoided if the US had been part of the Commonwealth at that time.  I dont think that would have made the slightest difference.  The arms race and crazy alliances that helped spawn that war would have hardly been changed at all even if the US had been firmly in the Allied camp from the beginning.  The same is true of WW2.  Hitler seemed to feel no hesitation about attacking the USSR, which at the outset of the war was far more powerful than the US military at least in terms of numbers.  Not to mention the fact that the USSR was right there bordering Germany.  Hitler was rather irrational to say the least, and I dont think that declaring his desire to build the 3rd Reich into an empire would have been any different if the British empire would have been stronger.  Basically my point is that everything wouldnt have been all peaches and cream just because there was no American revolution. I personally think things would be worse now if there had never been an independent United States although, since I am an American you would expect me to think that I suppose.  

I agree with the people that say that there is no way to know what would have happened but it is still harmless fun to speculate about the possiilities if things had turned out a little differently.  Growing up in Louisiana we used to talk about what it would be like if the South had won the Southern war for independence (American Civil War to you yankees!)  This is a similar type question.

I think on the whole, things have turned out quite well really the way things actually happened though.  Slavery is gone in the civilized world, the fascist countries defeated and the mighty forces of Hitler reduced to virtual squadrons in an online flight simulator, Communism is dying a slow death in the few countries where it still exists at all.  The United States, while far from perfect, remains a shining light to the rest of the world.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2001, 08:03:00 PM »
lolol what raub and hang said hehe  :D

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
Errr...
A. Technological Progress does not entail Social Progress.  We all should be okay with that.  Having better toys doesn't make you a better person.

B. Athenian "Democracy" was representation by free males.  Something like 90 percent of the male population was not free.

C. The coolest philosophers of ancient Greece held democracy to be the worst form of Government; and they tried to put their money where the mouth was (Plato had an embarassing little experiment; Harry Stotle played nanny to a macedonian hick named Alex).

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2001, 08:28:00 PM »
The athenian model of government was about as pure as it gets... the mob, and i do mean MOB installed politicans that would do its bidding. And if the politican balked, they just killed him outright, and voted in another one. They even voted in their generals.. the poor saps, they fared even poorer than the politicans. After all, if the general failed, then the politicans could thow HIM to the mob..

Still, the Athenians kicked bellybutton and pretty much controlled the known world till they started in on the Spartans, whose kings promptly did a deal with the Persians and sacked athens... after which Democracy went into a much deserved hiatus.

The DEMOS[/i] of athens ruled with a cruel and firm hand... A far cry from the watered down and insular democracy we 'enjoy' today.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
What if Washington was impeached for squashing the Whiskey Rebellion? Jefferson might have had his Libertarian way and we would all be armed and using civil courts to settle all forms of redress......even murder!

And what if our universe was all just part of a molecule in someones thumb? DUDE!?

Fun question Miko.<S>

;)   ;)   ;)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by miko2d:
<snip>
 On the negative side, knowing Brits, we would have probably been involved in an odd war or two with french, but that couldn't have been that bad. Those guys are pretty soft and civilised and fighting them is fun. Besides, we still had to do it when they supported germans in WWII and it wasn't that bad.
<snip>

one word :

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
Oh look..  :)  Our French Contingent just checked in  :)

Originally posted by straffo:

one word :

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2001, 10:27:00 AM »
should be titled
"Question for History Butchers"
If you had limited yourself to one small side effect and established a plausible csse for that it might be interesting.As it is its just babble.
The relations of Britian with every other colony were hugley impacted by the American Revolution. The Brits did not seem to be in the giving away colonies mood till one was wrenched from them with blood and iron.
So to say that the US might have gained independence any way is silly. You can not know what would have happend to the US or the other colonies in the absence of the revolution.
The rest of your sillyness flows from that monumental leap against logic.
Your altered time line seems to be among the less reasonable and less likely ones that could be imagined.
The most likey scenario to me of no revolution in 1776 is a revolution in 1786 or 96. You think that the US wouldnt have taken the opertunity to revolt while Napoleon had isolated Britian from the continent?
Such a war might just as well have resutlted in absolute US control of the North american continent as anything else. Most of the negative sideffects you attribute to the revolution would have necessarily been increased by that. Increased isolationism, Increased animosity to Britian.

Basically you are saying that Hitler was possible because of the American Revolution...

think about it.
Where you watching old reruns of Connections while you where on acid or something?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2001, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ping:
Oh look..   :)  Our French Contingent just checked in   :)

ROTFL  :)

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
There's a book called "historical fallacies" where an angry logicians tries to enumerate all the questions history should not be made to answer.  This is a normative case.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2001, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:
It seems like the mental picture folks haul up of greek democracy invokes some sparkling vision of a scolarly ...
..when in fact 'greek democracy' entailed appeasing a batch of bloodthirsty ignorant dirt poor pesants with the blood of their...

I never said they were enlightened (whatever that means). Just that they had the real working representative one man-one vote democracy.
 Because many people somehow believe that democracy is a recent invention.

They (and others - like germans in 1934) freely voted their destiny and screwed themselves up.
 I believe that is a feature of any democracy. Basically any unstable system with positive feedback is destined to fail sooner or later. Reasons why democracies only work temporarily were analyzed and explained many times.

miko

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Durr:
What makes you think that the South would have accepted the British law forbidding slavery any more than they accepted the US attempts to do away with same.
 1. Slavery was not the only or even the trigger issue of the war - some northern states still had it while Lincoln declared slaves free in the rebel states. Growth of the northern influence due to industrialisation was a good reason.
 2. Many more slaves came to the South from the moment brits outlawed trans-atlantic slave trade to the moment Civil War broke out. Without independence, southern states would not have had economy based on slave labor to the same degree.

I also reject the notion that we are the only one of the former British colonies that have racial problems by the way. Australia has had plenty of racism problems as well
 I am talking about the degree here.

Also, what makes you think that more native americans would have survived?
 I have plenty of reasons to believe so. England was much more restrained and experienced in dealing with native people then americans. Their government always took much closer part in dealing with natives then US govt ever did. They controlled 600 mil. people and did not seem to exterminate much.
 I am not claiming that brits would have saved all the natives. I am sure that many died in Canada. Were there any famous indian massacres/starvations in Canada? I am out of my depth here.

The really big notion that I dispute is that WW1 could have been avoided if the US had been part of the Commonwealth at that time... The arms race and crazy alliances that helped spawn that war would have hardly been changed at all even if the US had been firmly in the Allied camp from the beginning.
 So extra hundred million people and a huge chunk of industry invulnerably located would not have made any difference on the attacker's part? Why make alliances then if number of countries and people and economy doesn't matter?

Hitler seemed to feel no hesitation about attacking the USSR, which at the outset of the war was far more powerful than the US military at least in terms of numbers.
 It was a preventive stroke - an act of desperation. He would have been worse off if that whole mass hit him in a couple of weeks.

Hitler was rather irrational to say the least, and I dont think that declaring his desire to build the 3rd Reich into an empire would have been any different if the British empire would have been stronger.
 You probably have not read him. He was utterly rational and he fully intended to keep out of the way of Britain even if it ment abandoning profitable areas.
 His real idea of building the 3rd Reich is very different from the common knowlege one.
 He did not intend to mix germans with other people and did not intend to grab land on the west.
 He clearly explained reasons why land had to be grabbed on the East in 1924 - like that Russia was weak and in complete disarray. Those reasons were completely overturned by 1941 when russia was strond and well-organised. Historians prefer to ignore it and just quote his 1924 words out of context. Besides, his plan was for the centuries, not next 20 years.

I think on the whole, things have turned out quite well really the way things actually happened though.  Slavery is gone in the civilized world, the fascist countries defeated...
 Amen, brother!

miko

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: miko2d ]

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by straffo:
Those guys are pretty soft and civilised and fighting them is fun.
one word : ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Forgot to add that french are famous for their sense of humor!  :)
 Seriously, about french treating germans well and helping them fight brits in North Africa - I got it first from Erich von Manstein's "Lost Victories".
 But what does reknown british strategist/historian Sir Liddel Hart say about that: "...the Allied landings were to have taken place only on the atlantic coast of Morocco. That would have meant a purely frontal advance, giving the French forces the fullest chance of effective resistance. The advance would have started 1,200 miles distant brom Bizerta, the key to the North African theater of war, so that Germans would have had time and opportunity to stiffen the French resistance to the Allied invasion."
 "Strategy" p.268

Oh-la-la!

miko