Author Topic: Request for AH to be up and available!  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Request for AH to be up and available!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 01:59:26 PM »
waaaaaaay over my head.

nice to see its being worked on though, was rather annoying that the one time in a long time i get the opportunity for an extended AH session i get dumped and unable to play all night.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 02:04:17 PM »
Wow I think I understood part of that... so basically it boils down to HT saying

"we know there's a problem and we're working on it."

right?

:confused:

:)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 02:15:39 PM »
grmrpr: Basicly with multi homeing you are alowing the user top pic which oc48 he is comming in on by assigning different IP's to each net card. Noproblem on the in bound this is automatic based on the ip and net work number. Now when the message is prossed and sent back, it needs to choose a gateway outbound on the box, no problem in solaris setting up gate way choice on destination, i.e. normal routing, but now I wish to pick the gateway based on the Source IP. Have not seen anyway in solaris to do this other than making a new route entrie every time a new connection is established.

Not sending it out the same place it came in gets realy nasty do to what is caled asynicrous route. Basicly you get more points of failure.

The other option is just to put in a router to do the source routing.
But would much rather do it right on the computer.

HiTech

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2005, 02:37:28 PM »
Very interesting. I think I understand. I'm frightened. But it sounds like a solution is in the works.

Setting it up so that the processed data goes out on an outbound gateway specified to match the IP souce and the inbound gateway eliminates extra points where data errors/failures can occur?

Or did I read that wrong?

Thanks. Both of you.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline grmrpr

• Copper Member
      • http://www.maderios.org/
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2005, 02:54:45 PM »
Understood... Same core issue.  Creating a load balanced virtual IP on the switch that load balanced to mutiple interfaces on the Sun box got around that for me.  That way the layer 3 switch sent the responses down the correct paths and the E450 had a single default GW of the switch.  I was not able to determine a way to do it otherwise and went directly to Sun support for help on it and they were unable to provide a solution that bypassed the default gw and sent the traffic down the desired return path interface.  I would be worried about performance problems with injecting all those routes into the routing table with the amount of routes you are talking about.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »
This thread = :aok

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 04:19:46 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
This thread = :aok

'
more like :confused:

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 05:48:06 PM »
more like :confused:  for what reason???

Todd meant it was a good thread because Grm was offering to help HTC rather than bash them for their interuptions in service.

Hence the :aok.

It pretty much spoke for itself. I thought.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2005, 05:55:27 PM »
I think the :confused:  was more for us network-ly challenged folk, for whom the details sail way over our head.  I concur with Levi though, gotta appreciate a constructive thread, on the rare occasion they crop up.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2005, 06:06:52 PM »
Yippie!  From where I sit, Dallas is only a couple hops away.  If they move everything to dallas, I would be lookin' at 30-40ping times.  

(drools)

(edit: kudos to HT for being involved in the discussion.  good to see )
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2005, 06:10:45 PM »
for what its worth, i live in connecticut and my ping is never above 45.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 03:28:42 AM »
"Basicaly you get more points of failure" - Hitech

Assuming I understood any of this, you get more potential for failures, but considering savvis is failing/struggling consistently (at least for many of us), this could very well be one of those 'lesser of 2 evils' situations. Anyhow, this is reassuring, plz continue.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2005, 07:35:47 AM »
The Internet has been a pretty ugly beast the last month or so.  Comcast and Road Runner have been having chronic problems all over the country since school has been let out.
Worst year I have ever seen.  It is always pretty bad during the summer months, but usually settles down by now.  It hasn't.

Moving the servers is not a panacea to solving all Internet related problems.  Savvis is the second largest Tier 1 ISP in the US.  There is no way to circumvent thier entire network, for all people.
There are things we will accomplish, such as getting back to an ISP who is responsive to problems, as opposed to being defensive.  Hopefully the random outages on the immediate network our servers are on will be reduced, if not eliminated.
And, as HT said, getting the servers back to the local area helps us when we need to get the servers physically.

The async route issue is a problem in that users cannot reliably trace/PingPlot to any given IP address as the trace functionality is not capable of showing the return path a data packet will take.
Basically, traces/PingPlots only show the path taken to the destination.  When the return path is different, it can give false packet loss readings and inconsistent timings.  Makes it very difficult to troubleshoot a connection.
We hope to reduce that somewhat.  However, we are not in control of the path back once it leaves the local router.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2005, 08:12:31 AM »
Thank you for the explanation Skuzzy. Perhaps it was because I was having difficulty reading the spelling errors:D I was understanding Hitech as saying the problem with different in/out gateways etc was that it increased the chance for data errors/loss/failures.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2005, 10:43:55 AM »
GRMPR I must salute you!

It's great to see some constructive assistance to a chronic problem in here as opposed to destructive criticism!  This is indeed a much needed and welcomed approach as compared to our usual complaints with no offer of assistance.

Please continue!

All the Best...
Jay
awDOC1:aok
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!