Author Topic: Snuggle up to this teddy bear  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Snuggle up to this teddy bear
« on: November 30, 2001, 10:54:00 AM »
From Central Alaska:
(Damn this guy looks like our own RWY!)

This bear was killed on Hitchenbrook Island.  This bear's hide measured 12' 6" and it weighed around 1600 lbs.  The hunter was walking to his deer hunting area and the bear stood up only 35 yards away.  The bear immediately charged and he shot the bear until his gun was empty and the bear finally fell just 10 yards in front of him.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
Good Lord! Thats incredible... just look at that paw   :eek: Do you think this might be a fake picture?
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
Having been to AK and seen some grizzlies up close, I doubt its been doctored.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2001, 11:25:00 AM »
That thing is a monster!
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
We were camped on an island up near the border of Minn and Canada when I was about 12 yrs old. About 4 am, I see my dad knelt at the tent doorway with ought-6 in hand...I asked what was going on, he said 'Go back to sleep'...yeah right!  2 seconds later BOOM!  Dad fires a warning shot into the ground in front of a huge black bear rummaging thru out food which we *thought* was hung up high enough, unfortunately the bullet hit a stone and richocheted into the bears paw...bears become very angry when wounded...he charged us, and one smart round right in the bread basket brought the beast down with a final thump about 10 feet in front of our tent door.  I didn't stop pee'ing in my pants until someone pointed out that there was a dripping sound coming from my crouched position next to my dad inside the tent door.

I cannot IMAGINE how this fellow felt after putting  magazine into this bear before he dropped.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Wow... a lot of people would've stood there and toejam their pants when charged by something like that...

I have to wonder if he saw this enormous bear, and shot it, then made up the story to excuse the killing...  I would suppose there are laws that keep people from claiming the carcass (e.g to mount the thing) to avoid just such a killing... but then again, I wonder how many people would know of such a law.

If it is you or the bear, you don't have much choice, but it is still sad to see such a magnificent animal destroyed.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Note: The guy is looking just a tad "white" in the picture.  ;)

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
And to think about it some more... a bear that size could cover 25 yards pretty whoopee quickly... what sort of rifle was he using?  Most deer hunters would have a bolt action, which would be next-to-impossible to empty in that time.

Sorry... rambling... just got me wondering if it really went down as he reported it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
Not sure what kind, but I'm assuming that since he was Deer hunting, most likely an Ought-6, 7.62mm or similiar deer caliber rifle, probably why it took a few rounds to drop the beast.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »
Incidently, my dad felt terrible about killing the bear, not only was he not a bear hunter (though he hunts deer to this day at age 75) but to do so out of his own stupidity of not hanging the food high enough, we contacted the local authorities and talked to a game warden, he gave my dad a a verbal dress down, but he said he deserved it.  He was only looking out for his family when he meant to scare the bear off with that warning shot.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Thats something you never forget - sounds like a good memory to me ... and your dad taught you how to take responsibility for your actions. <S> to your Dad. If that happened to me there would have been something a little more substantial than dripping sounds coming from my crouched position heh heh

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
"The Wobblesnort?"

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
"Now, the Democrats have passed a lot of laws, and we can only kill something if it poses a direct threat. So before we shoot anything, we have to shout 'IT'S COMING STRAIGHT FOR US!'"  :D

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
HOLY CRAP NED! Look at those deer up on that hill.  

NED get the Rocket Lanucher!

IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
Pretty amazing how that this  bear charged this guy, he killed it and then he dragged it back into the bushes for a picture.

F.