Author Topic: What should I buy? Ghost Recon or Ops FlashPoint?  (Read 684 times)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
What should I buy? Ghost Recon or Ops FlashPoint?
« on: November 30, 2001, 02:49:00 AM »
Can you help me to choose?

Which one is the best in the following topics?

-Stability offline/multiplayer
-Immersion offline/multiplayer
-AI
-Realism (weapon, wounds, maps, offline missions...)
and finally...
-how long will it last on my HDD?  ;)

My specs:
PIII 866 on Asus Cus-L2 MB
512 Megs
about 3.5 free Gigs on HDDs
GeForce 2 MX 200 32 Megs(Creative)
Soundblaster PCI 512
Win98 SE w/ DX8.0a

Thanks for you advices...
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2001, 03:22:00 AM »
Ghost recon requires exactly one other guy multiplayer for big fun. Take 3 or 4 AI in your squad and go hunting. Maps are huge. Graphics are great. I hate that you can't see you weapon, but it isn't that big a deal like say, the 20 foot flame throwers on IL2 MG's. Its as fun as AH, THAT level of good.

OFP I play single player only because of the learning curve so I take it at my speed and it's way better than GR in single player mode imo.

Your machine should run them both well, although a GeForce3 kicks bellybutton in GR.

Do the Demo's, make a choice. But both are worth your cash.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2001, 03:29:00 AM »
I own 'em both.  

- They are both stable.  
- They are both immersive as hell.  GR graphics a little better, OFP sounds a little better.
- OFP Team AI is superior.  GR enemy AI is superior.
- OFP is probably more realistic (weapons and wounds) but they are both pretty good.

If you want a WAR with combined arms (tanks, APCs, trucks, jeeps, helos, bombers, arty, etc) on huge maps with realistic surroundings and you do mostly single player, then get OFP.  

If you like multiplayer shootemup with just infantry on relatively small maps, get Ghost Recon.  It's basically Rogue Spear minus the offline planning phase, but with bigger maps, improved graphics and sound, and soldiers that can kneel and go prone.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2001, 08:50:00 AM »
I think you need both.

OFP's single player campaign puts you in tanks and aircraft, and the interface for the vehicles is not good.  If you want infantry only, with hotter, closer fights and a more 'special ops' feel, go for Ghost Recon.  If you want big, wide open battles, where you are a small part of a larger scheme, with little control over events on the whole, then go for OFP.

OFP also has a huge user-made mission base, so in some respects, it has longer legs... but GR has better multiplayer as far as lag, game modes.

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2001, 07:22:00 AM »
Thks for the advices.

I finally bought OFP w/ the new soviet add-on (20 missions on the other side) for around 50$...

Can't wait to leave the office...

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2001, 02:56:00 AM »
I've got both, OFP gets the thumbs up, I don't like the forced spaces of GR. It seems like they've tried to force the Rogue Spear engine outside or something.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2001, 10:55:00 AM »
Ghost Recon is actually a whole new engine.

It is graphically a lot more complex than Operation Flashpoint, and stresses a different sort of fighting as well, which I think works well with the spaces available.  I do agree, however, that it is kind of dumb that you can't jump down a small drop off, or walk on certain areas... I think it works, and that they were both really great games.

Here, lemme plug my review again!

http://www.world-at-war.com/reviews/Ghost_Recon/GhostRecon.shtml

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
Yes I understand that GR has a whole new engine. But it still "feels" like RS forced outdoors. Things like the swaying trees in the wind etc are way cool. However the play area is just to ***forced***. Visibility is deliberately limited.

Maybe I'll have another crack at it, after I've finally finished the Afghanistan user mission for OFP.

Theres just something about hooning round in a BMP thats fun  :)

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2001, 04:54:00 AM »
OFP is good beyond my expectations... immersion at its best (bar the gamey air missions). I feel it will be a strong contender for AH in my limited computer time  ;)

If only they could make a MMOG out of it....

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2001, 05:26:00 AM »
Guys,  here's a trick to turn OFP into the biggest, bestest game ever.....but you need a lotta ram and processor power or it falls over.

In user made missions, add a trigger that you can activate with a radio call.  In the 'on activation' field put:

setviewdistance xxxx

where xxxx = the distance you wanna see in metres.

Standard view distance in OFP is 600m, which makes flying an A10 very entertaining.....especially if a cliff face suddenly appears in front of you.  It's like there's a permanent fog all over the islands.  I like to set a view distance of 2000m......makes the scenery look very nice and allows 2km sniper shots.   :D