Author Topic: Real WWII Hero  (Read 689 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Real WWII Hero
« on: December 06, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
As I am in the Recreational Vehicle business, a large portion of our customers are retirees. I had the opportunity to meet a man recently named Bert Shepard.

Bert was a very good pitcher and had nearly made the Majors when WW2 reached the States. He flew P-38J's in the European Theater and was shot down in 1944. His leg was removed by German doctors, and he spent the next year as a POW.
A Canadian man fashioned an artificial limb for him while in the camp. He began his rehab with the assistance of other POW's and even a few of the guards.

Bert was released in April 1945, and immediately went back to the diamond. He pitched one game for the Washington Senators.

I also met the guy who owns the rights to Bert's Story. This will probably be a miniseries in the next couple of years.

I asked for a job as an exrta at the airfield, so I might get to be around some warbirds. He said I might get to be one of the old German farmers that tried to beat Bert to death. I guess I look more like an angry farmer than a pilot.   :(

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Real WWII Hero
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
A little more info here.Bert Shepard

Hope that works.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Real WWII Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
Cool.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
Real WWII Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2001, 05:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by batdog:
Cool.

xBAT

Ditto  :)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member