Author Topic: Using Rudder Peddles?  (Read 578 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:02:17 PM »
Ok, now that I have my CH peddles installed and calibrated, I'm slightly frustrating the heck out of myself.

1. This is the first time since I've been flying AW - AH2 that I've ever used rudder peddles. I've always mapped em to buttons on the throttle or use a Saitek product. I didn't know I'd be wareing out my legs getting used to the new sitting aspect.

2. Does anyone bother with the slight bit of left or right rudder preassure to account for torque, or do you just put in a bit of opposit aleron with your stick?

3. I've gone to using too littel rudder in manuvers as apposed to the first days over correcting in every plane I flew and snapping the plane on its back. I've been giving away alotta kills this week with those peddles.

4. Last night practicing pointing my wing tip to a ground reference point and  turning the plane, I found the balance between banking the plane and holding it there to using the rudder to speed up the time it took my planes nose to track through the turn. I also found the stall point. I'm still attempting to translate what I discovered in that practice session to my ACM.

5. The most obvious point is the rocker rudder actuator on the Saitek X45 is like using a 4x4 to paint the Mona Lisa. The CH peddles give you incredable fine control. I could play with the stall point in a spit5 in a sharp banking turn unlike you really can't with the rocker on an x45.

So how long before I stop getting killed becasue Im focusing too much on the rudder peddles and after I land some kills I don't get up from my chair feeling whupped??????????:)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 04:25:43 PM »
about a month or 2

serious

luckily you didn';t go from twist to rudder, it'd be hell then.

here's some tips: keep the "rudder" ont he x45 unmapped (if you are still flying with it) and use it for rudder (fake), but translate what you are doing to your feet. that helped me get a feel...i was using all sorts of rudder in acm, stall recovery, and slight aim adjustment.... all without even thinking about it, so i needed to get back that second nature feel to it.

also make sure to put a stop of some sort behind the pedals, so in that critical moment when you are all stressed out in a fight you press hard on the rudder, and the whole thing slides across the floor just out of reach LOL

as far as usage on takeoff / taxi.. i hold the stick back to lock the tail wheel and straight. all manuevering is with the rudder / toe brakes. sometimes letting off the tail wheel lock. it took quite a while to get a good feel for it, but now it too is second nature.

hope that helps
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 04:34:06 PM »
Hi JB,

tailwheellock?
You mean when you pull the stick the tailwheel (or nosewheel for that matter..) will lock straight?

Regards!

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:34:09 PM »
Twisty sticks and the like seem to encourage rudder for aim, which is a bad practice. Pedels tend to encourage rudder for maneuver. Typically you will use them less, but small consistant and unnoticed inputs will start to improve your flying as you get used to em. When I leaned I just started forcing myself to kick rudder into my rolls to speed em up. Something small like that is all it really takes to break yourself in.

-p.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 05:06:55 PM »
Originally posted by Keiler
Hi JB,

tailwheellock?
You mean when you pull the stick the tailwheel (or nosewheel for that matter..) will lock straight?

Regards!
yes, if you pull the stick back i believe it is 25% or more the tail/nose wheel locks straight so you don't "drift"

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 05:17:30 PM »
Thanks!
Didnt know that, always performed a zero convergent sine while taking off :D

Regards!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 06:07:13 PM »
You need to overcome the habit of automatically using the rocker. No matter who you are or how good your skills, this will take time. Rather than fly in the MA, go to the TA or simply fly offline. Seat time is what you need to learn new habits and get the feel of the pedals, which have a lot of travel.

In all probability, you will have to adjust to a new sitting position and it will feel awkward for a while.

Get as much time as possible, ultimately that is the only way to readjust to a major change in your flight gear. Don't get impatient, big changes will require more time, but eventually the pedals will become second nature.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Keiler

• Copper Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 06:08:35 PM »
hmmm just tried in in different 109s and it didnt "lock", only made it a bit more "tight" on the track. Still geared sideways.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards!

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 04:34:52 AM »
In the TA....fly through the hangars at varying speeds...you'll have to use your rudders to help line yourself up...

Then...do loops through a hangar and try to not lose sight of it while looping...you'll need to use rudders to help control drifting in the loop...

Then...drop down from 10k very quickly and without chopping throttle...fly through a targeted hangar...you'll need very fine rudder control to align yourself...and then....zoom vertically and look behind you...use the rudders to keep the hangar in sight as you climb vertically trying not to fall off to one side, or another.

Soon, rudder pedal inputs will become second nature to you.

Semper Fidelis!
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 06:02:39 AM »
take the X45 throttle rocker rudder and band it in the Saitek programming interface. Then setup it up for aileron trim

see here  for an example

2. Does anyone bother with the slight bit of left or right rudder preassure to account for torque, or do you just put in a bit of opposit aleron with your stick? - yes, rudder - huge help on turning cv's
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »
Originally posted by Keiler
hmmm just tried in in different 109s and it didnt "lock", only made it a bit more "tight" on the track. Still geared sideways.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards!
if you pulled the stick back far enough it does lock...

it doen not overcome engine torque though, and they will make you drift a bit. you will always have to control the plane with rudder / brakes some

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 09:28:16 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
take the X45 throttle rocker rudder and band it in the Saitek programming interface. Then setup it up for aileron trim

see here  for an example

2. Does anyone bother with the slight bit of left or right rudder preassure to account for torque, or do you just put in a bit of opposit aleron with your stick? - yes, rudder - huge help on turning cv's
rudder only, i never use aileron on the ground.

also, if you are using an x45, the top rotary i thought would be best for aileron trim, the bottom for elevator, and NEITHER of the "banded" AH now supports analog trim, meaning you use them like any other axis.

here's a secret i thkn works good though, band the rocker and use it as move head left and right.... makes looking behind you very easy. hold hat back and rocker back and forth

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 06:05:37 PM »
I just upgraded from an x45 to x52. Thats why I have the CH peddles.

I'm doing alot better now. I discovered my real problem was the x52's joystick. I had to adjust it in the game by setting all the sliders to 100 and setting the dead band and damping to 0. The stick now doesnt have a big mushy dead area in the center and my axis responds in time with my rudder. I now have feedback from the centering spring at the base of the stick. Once I got control of the stick, I stopped flipping over on my canopy because my stick control inputs were delayed by the dead area.

So to say, now Ive graduated from an egg to a tadpole. I'm still having to "think" the rudder and tell my feet to do the motion. I found out last night that I have to plan my point of attack better for firing solutions rather than slew the rudder around so much. It bleeds off more E than I realised and leaves me a sitting duck if I follow the con too far into its evasive turn.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Using Rudder Peddles?
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 06:02:22 PM »
Hey bustr do you fly with tracers off?  If not, try that and you will find yourself actually computing lead rather than walking your tracers on to target.  It might be a lil hard at first, but you will be amazed at teh difference afterwards.