Author Topic: AH Ports - linux traffic shaper - HTB setup  (Read 311 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
AH Ports - linux traffic shaper - HTB setup
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:29:36 AM »
Hello,

It is little technical question...

I have a small linux "server" (actually familiys computer that runs aMule and FTP).

Another computer my Own Linux machine or XP laptop (for AH) are connected to it creating small LAN.

ISP <--> MAIN Linux <- LAN -> WinXP/Linux
         aMule                AH   / All Stuff
         FTP
         Web + Other

I don't want to shut down these services from the internet and I don't want to prevent from my family to browse internet when I go on-line in AH. And I don't want them to hurt my AH gaming. I want to have full high priority traffic for my AH connect.

For this I want to setup HTB with different priorityes for different stuff.

Something like that with different priorities:
[list=1]
  • AH traffic - highest
  • Default - WEB, Mail, etc
  • FTP
  • aMule - lowest
I know ports of FTP, aMule and main stuff like HTTP, SMTP, SSH, TELNET to setup correct rules but I have no idea how do I set rule for AH traffic...

I have some basic functionality that allows me work without problems with aMule. And I also know that with correctly setup HTB there is should not be big problems to play on-line games (at least that I've read on some forums).

So couple of questions (I think to Skuzzy)
  • Is that correct that good HTB setup allows to play on-line games without significant problem?
  • How can I define rules for AH traffic?

What ports and protocols should be set for hight priority - or maybe something else?
[/list]

I can close aMule and FTP - for game time but not want to prevent normal Web traffic - if heavy stuff like FTP, aMule might cause a problem
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:23:05 AM by artik »
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
AH Ports - traffic shaper
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 02:00:27 PM »
Uninstall Linux.  HT has stated in the past that all Linux/Unix users or book owners will be band from the game.  I don't agree with this but it is his game.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 03:26:53 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Uninstall Linux.  HT has stated in the past that all Linux/Unix users or book owners will be band from the game.  I don't agree with this but it is his game.

1st if you ask uninstall Linux or uninstall AH - I'll unsintall AH ;) ...

2nd AH anyway runs on WinXP connected to local network with Linux - so I need information about network configureation that will allow better AH perfomance...

3rd HTC runs UNIX servers ;)

Anyway - Linux/UNIX rules ;)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 04:02:27 PM »
Originally posted by artik
1st if you ask uninstall Linux or uninstall AH - I'll unsintall AH ;) ...

2nd AH anyway runs on WinXP connected to local network with Linux - so I need information about network configureation that will allow better AH perfomance...

3rd HTC runs UNIX servers ;)

Anyway - Linux/UNIX rules ;)

Hey, I was just telling you what HT said.  Don;t let him know you are running any flavor of UNIX or you will be out of here. :D

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 04:43:57 PM »
BEFORE you go crazy prioritizing your packets, JUST TRY IT.

I have a standard DSL connection, a static IP, and I run a webserver and mailserver 24/7, AND my wife uses her computer all the time, even when I'm playing.

I've had both a Linux box act as a router, and used standard, consumer-grade routers.

I've never had AH get a wonky connection as a result of other uses of the DSL line, and that's without any prioritizing. AH does NOT need a lot of bandwidth to work properly.

In other words, just give it a whirl before you lose a lot of sleep over setting this scheme up.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 05:41:57 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos

Curious as to the logic behind it?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 02:29:39 AM »
Originally posted by llama
BEFORE you go crazy prioritizing your packets, JUST TRY IT.

I have a standard DSL connection, a static IP, and I run a webserver and mailserver 24/7, AND my wife uses her computer all the time, even when I'm playing.

I've had both a Linux box act as a router, and used standard, consumer-grade routers.

I've never had AH get a wonky connection as a result of other uses of the DSL line, and that's without any prioritizing. AH does NOT need a lot of bandwidth to work properly.

In other words, just give it a whirl before you lose a lot of sleep over setting this scheme up.

-Llama

Yes... there are good chanes that it will work fine without trafic shapers at all but...

I allready use some traffic shaper settings in my ADSL modem-router - because I have aMule that eats most of upload traffic I have to enable QoS service for normal work...

So traffic shaper is a system I need to use most of the time - and mostly not for AH. And it should work correctly with AH traffic too.
So I'd like to gain some information in order to setup AH traffic correctly...

I can setup correct rules for aMule, HTTP, FTP, SSH and other known traffic users but for AH it is more problematic.

So if there any way to define it... it would be good. Also I will not complain if it doesn't work...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 02:31:40 AM by artik »

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 08:31:34 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Curious as to the logic behind it?

:lol  Just trying to see if any Unix C programmers would bite :D

I put WIN98 / INTL Inside sticker on a couple of V100s a couple of years ago and thought the consultants would have a stroke.  Funniest thing I've ever seen in my life :D