Author Topic: My new girl..  (Read 686 times)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
My new girl..
« on: June 21, 2005, 12:05:41 PM »
Got her about a week ago, Friday evening.

From the Animal Hosptial I'm working at.

She's about 8months old..

I named her Kwai, she responds to it really well.

She hates to be away from me, and has to watch me enter the gate to my work everytime I bring her along, before my mom takes her back home.

She's got the attention span of an 8yr old ADHD child.

And Is curious about everything, has a strong nose on her, she rarely dosn't have her nose from the ground when she's somwhere new..

I hope to do SAR training with her, and she is definatly going to be a Russian Anti-Tank/Attack dog for my reenacting..

Female, German Shepard, 8mos old, and she posed for this pic while I was sitting at the computer and decided to take another picture of her, I of course edited it and put it on a black background so it looks better... And of course have edited her into fake Propaganda Posters...

"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
My new girl..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:37:10 PM »
She's beautiful. Shepherds are great dogs.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
My new girl..
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »
Beautiful... Now do a Nilsen face with her nose!!!!

:rofl

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
My new girl..
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 12:49:43 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
She's beautiful. Shepherds are great dogs.

Gotta second that. One of the best dogs I ever had was a sheppard stray that I took in.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
My new girl..
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:04:52 PM »
Can't wait till she grows out of the stage of..

OH! Whats this?! -chew chew chew-

SHe's already chewed up a pen, a hair clip of my moms, and I'm a bit worried about that, cause I couldn't find all of the pieces...

And she's already chewn through one of my belts..
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
My new girl..
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 01:21:42 PM »
Pig's ears, rawhide bones and a piece of hawser can be very good substitutes to keep her from chewing more valuable items.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
My new girl..
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 01:29:16 PM »
i have an 8 month old black lab called jet. very sweet and very good pedigree. anyway, little tip, put bags and things against things u dont want chewed. i have had the carpet replaced 3 times in my house because of the little bugger (got him when he was 9 weeks). so yeah, put anything small on high things eg. shelves, and leans bags and others against stairs, corners, until she gets used to it. and make sure u really tell her off when she chews something shes not supposed to, because now shes older, she wont learn as fast, so discipline her quick!!!

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
My new girl..
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 01:54:40 PM »
Yeah.. she knows when she does something bad...

I growl, some times slap, and shun her now and then when she does something horrible..

The slaps are lightly on the snout and head, nothing I wouldn't do to a kid..

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
My new girl..
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 02:05:58 PM »
Really Hawk?  I have a male sheppard puppy about 6 monthes or so.  He's growing fast but like you said he gnaws on everything, mostly my arms.  Get her a bunch of tennis balls if she's anything like mine.  

Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
My new girl..
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 02:07:16 PM »
Nice looking dog, Hawk!:aok

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Re: My new girl..
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 02:25:12 PM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
She's got the attention span of an 8yr old ADHD child.

What is ADHD?

I hope to do SAR training with her, and she is definatly going to be a Russian Anti-Tank/Attack dog for my reenacting..

I don't think that it's a good idea, to learn her two so different specialities.

I'v heard that you have special K unit to learn volontures with their dogs for SAR. Is it true? Maybe it's the best way, to learn a dog and yourself for a perfect speciality of SAR operator at professionals? Because I know some cases, when non-professional handlers tryed to learn their dogs for SAR without any success.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
My new girl..
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 02:38:26 PM »
Shepards are one of the best dogs. I have a shepard now, one of the best dogs Ive ever had. I have a black lab to (named sherman cause hes a tank) hes not the brightest but hes still a great dog.

(Some of the best dogs are found at the SPCA and animal shelters)
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
My new girl..
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 02:56:21 PM »
dogs have two sets of teeth in their lives. The 28 baby teeth erupt through the gums between the third and sixth weeks of age. Puppies do not have to grind much food, so they do not have molars. Puppy teeth begin to shed and be replaced by permanent adult teeth at about four months of age. Although there is some variation in breeds, most adult dogs have 42 teeth, with the molars coming last, at about six or seven months.

Probably finishing up bringing the molars in.

Best thing I ever did was get the hollowed out beef leg bones that have been steam cleaned.

Example: http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=8518443600&dept_id=%2D2

You can get them anywhere though and cheaper than Petco. I get mine at a vet supply for about $1 each.

Take dry kibble, soak it to mush. Stuff a tablespoon up into the hollow bone. Make about 10 of them, put them in the freezer.

When the pup gets antsy or starts mouthing, call it over to the 'frig, make it sit, take out a cold bone, give it to the pup and give it the release command.

Hand out two maybe three a day. Seems to satisfy most of them and keep them from chewing things you don't want chewed. Incorporates a sit lesson without them realizing it.

If you do catch them chewing the "unchewables", say "no" take it a way, do the "call it over to the frig" drill.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 02:58:39 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
My new girl..
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 03:10:01 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
Beautiful... Now do a Nilsen face with her nose!!!!

:rofl

lol!.. :D

nice dog Hawklore

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
My new girl..
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 03:36:52 PM »
Neat dog story:

Many years ago a little girl (10 - 11 y.o) named Brenda lived next door to my new bride 'n me. Brenda was mentally challenged, not too bad, but still obviusly slower than the other kids. She had a German Shepherd dog named Queenie. Brenda's parents weren't very responsible, and let their daughter wander the neighborhood after school and on weekends. Fortunately, Queenie went everywhere Brenda went; you seldom would see one without the other. If Queenie didn't know you, or just didn't like you, for whatever reason, you couldn't get near the girl. Queenie seemed to understand that her role in life was to watch over Brenda. I've never seen such devotion in an animal that wasn't professionally trained. It was almost supernatural, the communication that seemed to exist between girl and dog, and very heartwarming.