Author Topic: Evangelical Christian groups and the US Military  (Read 240 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Evangelical Christian groups and the US Military
« on: June 22, 2005, 10:31:57 PM »
I have bees seeing some reports on tv and in print  that such groups are very agressive towards other faiths, even other christian faiths in the military and the various service academies - essentially trying to become the de-facto religius standard withing the military.  Do any guys here have first or second hand knowlege of this?

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Re: Evangelical Christian groups and the US Military
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 10:33:46 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I have bees seeing some reports on tv and in print  that such groups are very agressive towards other faiths, even other christian faiths in the military and the various service academies - essentially trying to become the de-facto religius standard withing the military.  Do any guys here have first or second hand knowlege of this?

When I was in basic you had two choices for divine worship - Catholic or Protestant. Not one of those two? TS to you then.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:33:58 PM »
Saw this the other day. Also saw an article about it in Time I believe.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/03/airforce.religion/

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:37:37 PM »
I've been following this a bit.  Seems that the Air Force Academy is being used as a soap box to try to convert a captive audience, using some pretty heavy handed crap.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:38:44 PM »
I have  almost 10 years time in service with uncle sam.  I have to say over the years I have NEVER been told to repent, convert, and/or pray to Jesus.

I have numerous times been told to "go to church to get away" that was in boot camp.  The DIs said ALL recruits would go to some kind (trust me they just about every major faith to offer) of sunday service.  The reason for this wasn't to get a good dose of god or to earn your "jesus points" but merely to get away from the DIs and the squad bay and rejuvinate yourself with some postiveness.

In my current shop we act like a family, every year we have thanksgiving dinner at the shop and say a shop prayer before we do.  It mentions god/jesus and is led by one guy.  No one is required to participate and no one is forced to pray.  If you feel uncomfortable you are welcome to leave.  

I've heard of the recent stories at the AF Acadamy and I have to say I think it the exception and not the rule.

EDIT:  From what I've heard alot of what's going on at the Acadamy happens to be a bunch small events put together and blown out of porportion into a big deal
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 10:42:55 PM by Gunslinger »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »
I can't recall religion being a big deal in the Navy either.

On the Leahy, there was an RP2... can't remember his name, but I do remember that I was impressed with him. He was one of those happy few that are truly content with their faith.
sand

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »
It's usually not a big deal to the folks that are already christian.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 11:01:02 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
It's usually not a big deal to the folks that are already christian.

I'm an atheist.
sand

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm an atheist.

are you saying as an atheist religion offends you?

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 11:35:38 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
are you saying as an atheist religion offends you?

I'm saying that even as an atheist I didn't find religion in the Navy to be that big of a deal.
sand

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 11:52:56 PM »
I'm an agnostic. When I was in the service there was no pressure to attend religious services. In boot, we could go to Sunday services or stay in the barracks and have free time.

At sea, we had watches that took priority over religious services. When your watch was over there were small groups that got together, but they were self organised. No official organized services and no Chaplin onboard my ship.

When at sea, maintaining duty watches was priority one, lest we all be praying that we didn't sink and die.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 12:07:46 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm saying that even as an atheist I didn't find religion in the Navy to be that big of a deal.

At squadron functions we do start with prayers sometimes.  The chief leads it and it tends to be more or less non denominational.  I don't think the chief would be insensative enough to continue this practice if somone voiced thier opinion that the prayer was offensive or if a person of another faith wanted to have theirs heard as well.

If somone did say they were offended I'm pretty sure the chief would in fact make the person spell out what really offends them.

I can see how it would be annoying (but not really offensive) to be told over an over again about somone elses faith.  Much like a telemarketer wanting you to switch your long distance plan.  It should be ok to be able to ask somone to go to church with you but there should be a mutual respect there of knowing when the line is crossed and when it isn't.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 01:55:07 AM »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters