Author Topic: Off to Panama for 3 weeks...  (Read 154 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Off to Panama for 3 weeks...
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:50:16 AM »
Anyone know of anything "not to miss" down there?

It's not a vacation so my free time will be limited.

And yes, I know 'bout them 'sqeeters down thar.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 10:27:15 AM »
Where are you going to be at?

Are you scuba cerified? If not and you want to be you can get it in 2 weeks there. Try Scuba Panama in Panama City. Great little shop (at least it was in 90) and they had a great place to dive on the Atlantic side of the country. I found that was the best diving conditions I have every been in. Great water and critter populations.

The dive site was in walking distance to an old fort and you can walk the fortifications and see some of the old cannon still on the wall.

Frankly I found it to be more comfortable to be in Panama than in Mexico, and that was right after we had invaded it. Great people, inexpensive food and fantastic diving.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 10:48:08 AM »
Yes, I am Class A Open Water certified.  

SCUBA is one of the things high on my list.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 10:53:30 AM »
You an try to do the big 3 then. Dive the Atlantic, Gatun lake (fresh water resvior for the canal with a sunken town and train) and the Pacific all in one day.

Seriously, the Atlantic side has the best diving conditions I HIGHLY recomend doing all the diving you can while there. MWR had equipment for rent back then. I don't know about now.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown